DMX741 C/Ku lnbfs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ironsides

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
North Carolina
I was thinking about giving one of these a shot on my 10 foot dish. Has anyone here on this site had any experiences with this DMX741 C/Ku Standard LNB C Band Ku Band? If so what did you like or dislike about it?

I was wondering about the Skew and how it works with several satellites?

I am concerned with my dish type being mesh but I was told many moons ago it would work fine with Ku...

Is there anyway to use one an offset dish or would it be a waste of time?

Some folks have 6' offset dishes, and I believe it works okay, with a conical scalar.

For the 4' mini-BUD crowd, none of the dual-band LNBF's seem to do well on Ku, but do work on C-band.
Again, you'd want a conical scalar.

One of our members reported the C2 seemed to outperform the similar Ck1, at least for MiniBUD C-band operation.

Sadoun carries all the GeoSatPro Ck1 & GalaxyMarketing DMX-741, the conical scalars, and the C-band only C2.

this thread may prove helpful:
McLapp makes interesting observations of DMX741 on 6' offset and 10' BUD:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-...x-antenna-dms-bsc621-2d-lnbf.html#post1957659

If you must do it, do it. But I am in the process of changing my two BUDS to c-band only Orthomode Feeds. I used CK-1's on them, and while they worked, I knew the C band could be better, and the Ku, well, my 1m Primestar kills either of the BUDS for ku.

Does it work? Yes.
Is it easy? Hell No. Its a PAIN to get it correct enough to get C and Ku the best they can be.
Would I do it again? ONLY if I had no other choice.

The thing that concerns me

Well the thing seems to get decent reviews when reading about it...but the thing that concerns me is the Skew...I am sure of one thing I am too old to be running outside to a 10 foot dish trying to adjust the damn skew manually.

If it would get several good C-Band and Ku Satellites...That would be ok..I think it would be very hard for it to get all of them...The skew is where it's going to go south on... I did notice LAK seems to have good luck with his and I am wondering how well it does work for him on his 10 footer and what Receiver he uses?? I also wonder if this thing should be setup on your true south satellite?? If it does that's going to be a real pain in the *** for me as that dish is pretty high off the ground and on a hill to boot...

I have 2 Primestar dishes and infact I was trying to get one of those on a Satellite Yesterday. I had good signal on my Meter But the receiver showed nothing. I tried my best to remember the Correct LNB settings for the thing and just settled for 10750 and Standard as the type and still nothing. Pretty sure the LNB is working but I am almost certain I got some of the settings wrong for that LNB...I know one of the Dishes worked as I have used it before but it's been a while. The LNB's are the type that has one input and I think best I remember uses 22hz to switch polarity but again I don't remember it's been a long time...I think also they are linear lnbs but agian I don't remember..

but the thing that concerns me is the Skew
Skew is automatically adjusted when the Dish Moves, just like a Motorized Ku Dish
Ideally, you set with Dish a True South, but as you said not always easy.
What I did was drive the Dish to my true south, then disconnected the Actuator from the Dish Ring, and carefully walked it down to one side. Installed LNBF and reconnected to Arm.

The unit works and is very convenient, but no match if you are in a Quality Reading race, or very weak feeds.

I don't know about the 741 but I recently bought the DMX241 and have had very disappointing results with my 10 ft mesh, so bad I was hardly getting any ku band, I've since gone back to the old servo motor controlled feedhorns. I just havent had decent results with either the dmx241 or the bcs621-2d dedicated

The 621 is great for C-Band but sucks for KU....been there had one (and now have one again) :rolleyes:

My GeosatPro dual works great on my 6 footer and the 5 footer too

DMX 741

Well the New DMX 741 arrived today and I was really surprised how light weight the box was. I thought wow, is anything actually in this box? Nice shipping and arrived quickly. I noticed right off No Instructions came but the plate was there which surprised me yet again. After reading all the reviews I figured something would be missing.

I missed out on the dang 10% savings because I placed the order before I found that information out.

I really dread trying to install this thing on my BUD because of the dish location. Also wonder if it's actually worth the troubles but after seeing some have success that gives me hope.

I noticed too that right out of the box it doesn't fit will in the scaler ring. The raised numbers should have been flushed. It should fit tighter in my opinion. Also I noticed only one bolt to secure the lnbf to the ring. Again should have been 3 in this case because of the fit issues. At least you could adjust it by having 3 bolts. Something else I noticed some paint knocked off brand new out of the box. That's not a major concern but it shouldn't have paint knocked off right out of the box.

The package was good though From WS International but they should check to make sure the instructions are included. I downloaded the install pdf the night I purchased it but still a hard copy would have been nice too.

My guess is also the Skew settings will be hard to work with and getting it adjusted to track correctly will be some what of an ordeal...And may take several attempts to peak on several satellites.

Well the plan is now to try for an install one day this week if possible..

I'll post my findings as soon as we get it installed...

My son

Good News for me IF the weather clears up, My oldest son is coming over Tuesday to help me install the new LNBF. He thinks he can use his 4x4 and drive up to the dish and we can just stand on the bed to install. Even if we have to let the dish drop, it would be easier as he has suggested. I am hoping we can just drop the dish and remove the old scaler ring, Install the new one and get it ready to make adjustmens without any hassles.

Thanks Lak!

Hey great that would be awesome not to have to remove the old one. That said, I should make sure I know exactly where everything is set at so I can put it back if this DMX doesn't help me any.

I wonder if anyone has tried this with any of the analog channels that are left?

Thank you Lak and Ice for the information! Kinda excited about this!

I had no issues when I had a 4DTV 920, digital or analog.
That is no issues once I found you need to select the "Rotated 90" LNB option in the 4DTV. :)

DMX 741 Installed

Well after several hours of pulling out my hair we managed to get a 71Q to 82Q on different satellites and transponders through out the belt. C-Band Is Pretty decent but my older LNB did a tad better job on some satellites. KU Band I thought could have been better but considering my dish and I really didn't tweak it much it does ok. I was pretty well happy with the purchase.

It's a pain in the rear to adjust and I can not express that enough! The scalar isn't worth the time to mess with. I ended up using my original because it fit tighter. The numbers on the sides of the DMX-741 should be flat and not sticking out like a sore thumb! Even with the supplied scalar they would be better to make it tighter and get rid of those raised numbers. Also add 2 extra bolts on the scalar to give you better centre adjustments and the collar should be thicker I think.

It works well with my Neusat and Pansat boxes and I had very little troubles setting it up. However I will have to work some and figure out the correct settings for the Dreamboxes.
The Lof/L I thought should be 5150
the Lof/H I thought should be 5150 as well, but I am not sure that is correct..
The threshold I wasn't sure about and wonder what that should be set at.

Over all I am pretty happy with the purchase and really shouldn't complain but several changes would make it much better if the MFG will listen...

LIKE INCLUDE THE DIRECTIONS! Include some specs wouldn't hurt!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts