Do all VOOM Originals have the same bandwidth?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SmiGump

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Virginia
Whenever I stop at 999 (INVOOM) for a few seconds and see a promo for something I've already seen on one of the VOOM Orginals channels (like and Equator HD show for instance), it seems that the PQ is better than on the actual show. It's a bit sharper, with less mosquito noise and with less motion artifacts.

Is it possible that they're jacking up the bandwidth on 999 for the Wow factor while stealing bandwidth from the other HD channels or is each HD channel have identical bandwidth available?

I can't say for sure, but a lot of posts refer to the bandwidth being at a higher rate on Channels 100 and 999. It has also been posted that Voom uses a rate of 12 mbps on the Voom originals. This is compared to a rate of 19 mbps on HDnet, which a lot of people see as the 'gold standard' of HD.

DarrellP, Vurbano, and ChetK seem to know quite a bit about this subject. It might help to read some of the posts from those guys.

I imagine they tweak it constantly.

If it's like DVDs, the bitrate (bandwidth) is variable, and changes with the content of the program. If you search for "bandwidth" you can find a thread that explains it better than I can.

I know the picture quality has improved on both SD and HD since I signed up in May. Maybe they are improving their strategy... :)

The Stone Man said:
I can't say for sure, but a lot of posts refer to the bandwidth being at a higher rate on Channels 100 and 999. It has also been posted that Voom uses a rate of 12 mbps on the Voom originals. This is compared to a rate of 19 mbps on HDnet, which a lot of people see as the 'gold standard' of HD.

DarrellP, Vurbano, and ChetK seem to know quite a bit about this subject. It might help to read some of the posts from those guys.
Not quite, they have an average HD bitrate of 12mbps. Some channels are obviously higher than others. HDnews, barker, HBO, showtime look ok to me. Some are low though IMO. Discovery, Equator, Rush and even worldsport (this is not to say that the last 3 should not be combined because theres no way they should even be considered real channels with the lack of content on them...lol) need it turned up. Some channels will always require more bandwidth depending on the amount of "action" as well. IMO Voom should be running channels at 15-17 mbps if they are really interested in quality under mpeg2 and providing a better quality product than anyone else. Now the experts at Voom will probably say that the bandwidth is distributed instantaneously "on demand". Id take that with a grain of salt.

Thanks Vurbano. It's an interesting subject. Since Voom is my only HD provider, I've never seen HDnet at 19 mbps. I'll have to drive around the neighborhood and look for a triple LNB from the other guys.

The Stone Man said:
Thanks Vurbano. It's an interesting subject. Since Voom is my only HD provider, I've never seen HDnet at 19 mbps. I'll have to drive around the neighborhood and look for a triple LNB from the other guys.
D* doesnt do Hdnet at 19mbps I dont think. its probably 17mbps or in that ballpark. I heard Sean say once that E* did Hdnet at 17. I think the only way you can see 19.3mbps is OTA from a station that is not multicasting, UNless someone knows an HD sat service doing anything at 19?.

I think if you have a good fiber optic cable network you can watch INHD and HDNet at 19, however... tune into CBS tonight, in my area they don't multicast, and watch CSI:Miami in HD. I don't know the exact bandwidth but it's damn high, crystal clear, pristine HD... it blows me away almost every time. Or watch ABC when they are playing sports, it's in 720p but its still awesome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)