Do DirecTV installers use railing mounts?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

PaulieORF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2005
Southington, CT
I live in a Condo, and the association only allows Dish Network dieshes to be mounted on the building rooftops (a whole other legal issue possibly, I know), but I think I have a good shot at getting the DirecTV signals from outside of my sliding door, if the dish is mounted to my railing which is immediately outside the slider. Since I can't touch the exterior of the building (which is brick anyway), I am left only with my railing for mounting.

I did some googling and found the following:
Satellite Dish Installation Railing Kit

Does anyone know if DirecTV would perform this type of installation for me, or would I have to go out and get a railing kit in order for them to do an install?

Thanks, and I appreciate your help.

I had a slimline install on my balcony that used 2" fence post originally attached by zip ties and 2 U-bolts I added. Believe me... this is nowhere near correct. Eventually, after complaining that the installer didn't know what he was doing, I had a second installer come out to correct this and he installed 3 braces, usually used for roof installs. Two are braced on the rails on the corner of the deck and the other at the flooring. This may work for you and not cost any more.

The kits you pointed out would most likely need to be provided at your cost. You might call the install company ahead of time to make sure.

I had a slimline install on my balcony that used 2" fence post originally attached by zip ties and 2 U-bolts I added. Believe me... this is nowhere near correct. Eventually, after complaining that the installer didn't know what he was doing, I had a second installer come out to correct this and he installed 3 braces, usually used for roof installs. Two are braced on the rails on the corner of the deck and the other at the flooring. This may work for you and not cost any more.

The kits you pointed out would most likely need to be provided at your cost. You might call the install company ahead of time to make sure.

Thanks. I'll just verify again with the association about this (though I think I'm able to do it by law). Also, how did they run the cables from the dish into your home? That's another part I'm curious about, if I end up doing this.

Yes, installers do carry railing mounts (at least in my office they do). It's not always part of our normal parts issue, so it's a good idea to have them note the work order that you need one.

OK, that opens up your abilities.

Unfortunatley I just looked at this FCC OTARD fact sheet, and it seems I won't have the law on my side:

Q: Does the rule apply to condominiums or apartment buildings if the antenna is installed so that it hangs over or protrudes beyond the balcony railing or patio wall?

A: No. The rule does not prohibit restrictions on antennas installed beyond the balcony or patio of a condominium or apartment unit if such installation is in, on, or over a common area. An antenna that extends out beyond the balcony or patio is usually considered to be in a common area that is not within the scope of the rule. Therefore, the rule does not apply to a condominium or rental apartment unit unless the antenna is installed wholly within the exclusive use area, such as the balcony or patio.

Well as far as safety, overhanging , etc maybe not, but I was simply talking about ATTACHMENT to property; at least in this case YOU own the railing; where as in an apt you would not and as a general are not permitted to attach to it.

Well as far as safety, overhanging , etc maybe not, but I was simply talking about ATTACHMENT to property; at least in this case YOU own the railing; where as in an apt you would not and as a general are not permitted to attach to it.

True. I have a feeling their concern wouldn't be about safety since air conditioners hang out of windows all over the place. I'm pretty sure they won't like it beacuse it'll be an eye sore. I'll give it another shot with them today, but I doubt they'll let me go through with this idea.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)