Do flat panel prices fall after the Super Bowl?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TheHorsts

Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
California
I realize this not strictly speaking a Dish Network related question, but I figured this group would be a reasonable cross sample of opinions.

We're looking to buy a HDTV to go with our 722 that installed later this week, but we're in no particular rush at this point. We're happy to wait until after the Super Bowl if the prices would be better then, although we're likely to buy something this first quarter no matter what.

So, that's the question. Will their prices fall after the Super Bowl or, in the competitive pricing run-up to the Super Bowl, will the prices be best just before. I can't remember what happened last year.

thanks.

Typically they're better just before the big game. Now you might be able to find an "open box" deal just after. That might be from some schmo who just wanted the TV for the big deal. But in general, I've seen sales from Christmas time until the super bowl. Then you'll see a lull until father's day.

I'm no expert, just a regular guy who has watched these sales.

I just got a 32 inch Vizio 720p LCD Flat Panel for $379.00 at Costco. They were phasing it out for the 1080p version ($529.00). At 32 inches, 720 does me just fine. Add that with a Monoprice wall mount and it was all about $400. Can't beat that with a stick.

Yeah, if you're the flat-screen type (not projector), then Vizio is the one. Compare the display quality with any other TV, and it excels.

Why? Because about 10 years ago Henry Wang's son (remember Henry Wang?) looked around and found that every major manufacturer was putting cheep displays in their flat-screens, so he started Vizio. They used their contacts in Red China to get high-grade displays, and you can well see the difference.

Plus they are about the least expensive, being Costco's house brand.

Recommended, if you are into small screens (<10'), which I'm not.

I just bought a 32" Sylvania on closeout at BJs ($330), and I'm considering taking it back because it's scaler is putrescent when upscaling Dish SD from a 501. My Westinghouse does a marvelous job, and it's a 42" panel.

I've read that others have had similar crappy performance out of the scaler in the Visio brand, as well. Are you two saying that Visio is now doing the job right?

Prices right now are higher at most places than they were during Christmas. February and March begins the annual cycle of older products being discontinued and new products arriving, so you will probably find some good closeout prices in the near future, while the new, "must-have" tv's will have higher prices. The brand new tv's will then usually drop in price 60-90 days after release.

I just bought a 32" Sylvania on closeout at BJs ($330), and I'm considering taking it back because it's scaler is putrescent when upscaling Dish SD from a 501. My Westinghouse does a marvelous job, and it's a 42" panel.

I've read that others have had similar crappy performance out of the scaler in the Visio brand, as well. Are you two saying that Visio is now doing the job right?

I have a 42 in 1080p for my main TV, and it has great PQ (took a bit of tweaking as default settings were crap). Picked it up last year when it came out. Had 1 problem about 3 weeks in, HDMI port had issues, they sent a tech who replaced motherboard and worked flawlessly since. Een my FIL who has a Bravia XBR3 is a bit jealous given the PQ and what I paid versus what he paid.

Just picked up the 32 in for the bedroom because the wife wanted it, but for $379 it is a steal. Been happy with the PQ and have not even played with the settings yet.

All in all, very happy with Vizio brand and value. In fact, like the tuners and setup of my Vizios better than my Samsung.

Just picked up the 32 in for the bedroom because the wife wanted it, but for $379 it is a steal. Been happy with the PQ and have not even played with the settings yet.
That was my experience with my Westinghouse, both for SD and HD. And this Sylvania does OK on HD. But I am specifically calling out the Sylvania scaler as crap, because it makes SD, and particularly Dish SD, look pretty bad with visible macroblocks and interlace artifactgs all over the place on fast motion. How does the Visio do on SD?

I might be wrong, but I think that prices will drop following Feb 17 and the Digital Conversion. They know people are looking to buy in preparation.

That was my experience with my Westinghouse, both for SD and HD. And this Sylvania does OK on HD. But I am specifically calling out the Sylvania scaler as crap, because it makes SD, and particularly Dish SD, look pretty bad with visible macroblocks and interlace artifactgs all over the place on fast motion. How does the Visio do on SD?

To be honest, 12 inches away and Dish SD looks like crap, however, 12 inches is not my normal viewing distance. 8 ft away where I rest my sweet head, SD looks like SD with no visible flaws or issues with Dish SD. OTA HD looks great.

I realize this not strictly speaking a Dish Network related question, but I figured this group would be a reasonable cross sample of opinions.

We're looking to buy a HDTV to go with our 722 that installed later this week, but we're in no particular rush at this point. We're happy to wait until after the Super Bowl if the prices would be better then, although we're likely to buy something this first quarter no matter what.

So, that's the question. Will their prices fall after the Super Bowl or, in the competitive pricing run-up to the Super Bowl, will the prices be best just before. I can't remember what happened last year.

thanks.
I think the sale aspect has been thrown out of whack by the economy. If I were in the market ,I'd be checking the Sunday sales papers each work and wait for something to jump off the page at me

To be honest, 12 inches away and Dish SD looks like crap, however, 12 inches is not my normal viewing distance. 8 ft away where I rest my sweet head, SD looks like SD with no visible flaws or issues with Dish SD. OTA HD looks great.
:D OK, got it. I'll take that as a ringing endorsement of current gen Vizios. I think I'll take this POS Sylvania back to BJs and go to Vizio/Costco. Hmmm. I see they now even have a silver one online. Still $450 though for a 720P panel. :( Must cost more to be ecologically friendly.

Last edited:
Vizio is definitely the best of the cheaper LCD brands, since Olevia went down the tubes. Toshiba is probably the best value of the mainstream LCD brands. Samsung or Sony displays are for the folks who want the best and don't mind paying for it (on the LCD side). Panasonic gives the most bang for the buck on the plasmas. (Vizio, LG and Samsung also offer plasmas, but I'd stick with Panny for plasmas.)

I've found Black Friday deals to be the best for flat panels. Post Super Bowl was great in the CRT days. I haven't seen the correlation with flat panels or DLP's.

thanks.

I don't think prices will go up or down very much before the Super Bowl, I'm seeing more package deals at places like Best Buy & Circuit City. Best suggestion I can make is to check Sunday ads in the paper, or online if you don't get the paper. Make it a point to go look at several that are in your price point and judge the display for yourself. You will see a noticeable difference in the displays, consider the tv that has the best picture to you. Are you anywhere near a Fry's Electronics retail store? Their ad comes out on Fridays and I've noticed they have had some great prices on 42" plasmas lately. Also check out Office Depot, Office Max & Staples, if you have any close to you. And of course don't forget any independent electronics retailers in your area, you'll probably get more straight forward info & less bs from an independent retailer. Click on the link for Plasma Concepts, they are an advertiser on this site, see what they have to offer.:D

Vizio is definitely the best of the cheaper LCD brands, since Olevia went down the tubes. Toshiba is probably the best value of the mainstream LCD brands. Samsung or Sony displays are for the folks who want the best and don't mind paying for it (on the LCD side). Panasonic gives the most bang for the buck on the plasmas. (Vizio, LG and Samsung also offer plasmas, but I'd stick with Panny for plasmas.)

I've found Black Friday deals to be the best for flat panels. Post Super Bowl was great in the CRT days. I haven't seen the correlation with flat panels or DLP's.

Excellent advice re: LCD and Plasma manufacturers and associated "mini-rankings". Spot on, IMO.

I might be wrong, but I think that prices will drop following Feb 17 and the Digital Conversion. They know people are looking to buy in preparation.

I read somewhere (Consumer Reports?) a couple years ago that typically about a month or so after the Super Bowl, new models start to come out. That is when you get the best deals on the phasing out models. Of course with the Digital Conversion happening this year (Obama wants a delay?) who knows!

Typically the best prices on flat panel HDTVs have occurred the during the two weeks before Christmas. Then they go up and stay up until their replacement models are readily available. At that point those that still have large inventory or haven't sold well will drop somewhat in price. Those that are hot sellers or are in short supply may not drop in price at all; may even increase. I've been watching several models of Samsung LCDs over the past couple of years on Amazon and in the newspaper sales sheets for BB, CC, and UE and that is what I've seen.

Last year, I bought my Pioneer in May at the end of the model year and got a great deal. The prices dropped so dramatically that the old models cleared out FAST from both online and local retailers. If you know what you want and you can wait, you can get a great deal. Don't wait too long, though, because once they're gone, they're gone!

I read somewhere (Consumer Reports?) a couple years ago that typically about a month or so after the Super Bowl, new models start to come out. That is when you get the best deals on the phasing out models. Of course with the Digital Conversion happening this year (Obama wants a delay?) who knows!
Obama or his team? I just want to know? Will this help with a LCD purchase?:rolleyes:

I just got ( back on Jan 2nd) a 47" LG LCD 1080P from HHGregg. Talked the guy down alittle. After taxes payed around $1200. This past weekend BestBuy had same TV on sale for less. Went back to the store and got $50 back for price match. So always ask what the stores Price Match police is. Most will match up to 30 days.

But yes I would imagine with the economy and Tax time you should be able to score a good deal.

On a side note. Found the reciept from our first LCD tv purchase. About 2yrs ago bought 32" Toshiba Regaza from same store paid same price as new 47" tv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts