Do i have a bad Joey?

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I have a 2h/3j set up and have been very pleased with my upgrade so far. But I've had an issue a couple of times with one of the joeys in my daughters room. She turns on the tv/Joey and it seems to work fine......until she hits the guide button. Once she hits the guide the picture goes black and the tv will eventually say theirs no signal (as if there's no box hooked up). The power light is still on the Joey but there's nothing there. I can then hit the "live tv" button and the picture comes back. I get the same result if I hit the menu button. I can channel up and down without issues. I've reset the Joey and the hopper it's linked to but it still doesn't fix it. the first time it happened it eventually started working again. But it happened again this morning. We had to leave for a while to run some errands and I haven't made it back home yet to see if it's working or not. I'll report back later. Has this been happening to anyone else?

Flip your Joeys around and see if it happens on the other TV or if it continues to happen on your daughter's TV. Could be a bad HDMI cable or a handshake issue.

The Joey isn't in an enclosed space. It's sitting on top of a dresser. When I came home the Joey was still doing the same thing. So I swapped that Joey with a different one and for now both joey's seem to be working fine. Of course this same thing happened a week ago or so and after several reboots it started working and continued to work fine until this morning. So based on that history, if I have another problem it could be another week or more before it happens again.

Well I've still been having this issue occasionally, but it's totally random. So about a week ago I swapped that Joey with a different one from another room that doesn't get used much. Seemed to work fine for a few days but once again the issue is back. So it's obviously not the Joey. So what else could it be?

Now we upgraded that tv around May 1st from an old tube tv to a flat screen HDTV, and went from composite cables to an HDMI. I thought I may have a bad cable, but why would I only have a problem when the guide or menu buttons are pressed? Any ideas?

i think the tuners are being used when this happens. this location is probably the 'last in line' for the tuners. next time the screen goes black try pressing either menu or the red shortcut button.

sca said:
i think the tuners are being used when this happens. this location is probably the 'last in line' for the tuners. next time the screen goes black try pressing either menu or the red shortcut button.

That's not the issue. I have 2 hoppers and this Joey is linked with a hopper that's not used as much as the other. It never has more than 2 tuners used at a time. I get the same black screen when I press the menu button as well. The screen goes black and says HDMI as if I have it on the HDMI tuner but there's no device hooked to that input.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts