Do I let the installer run only one cable for both OTA and dish?

fastfed

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 20, 2004
I am reading the FAQ's and it says not to let the installer run only 1 cable for the dish and the OTA ant.

What if he does and gives me the BS it will be fine?

Do I refuse and say I want two lines ran??

Yeah, it's not always easy to convince the installer to bypass the diplexer. This is not their standard procedure. Some installers may even insist on additional payment for the extra cable run...

In my case, I was able to convince him, and since the overall cable run was not too long, he did it for free.

My advice is to discuss this question with your installer in advance over the phone. It will be less stressful this way.

Welcome to the forum!

This can be a touchy subject. Some people use diplexers successfully, and others have had problems. You could say the same thing about almost any other component of a satellite system. If you really don't want the lines diplexed, I believe you have the right to tell that to the installer, but it should be your choice.

Be nice, explain that you don't want it diplexed and see what he/she has to say. If they give you some BS about one line only, state again that you want two lines. Be confident in your decision, but don't be a jerk. A lot of the installers I know use this quote "Attitude is pricey!" If you give the installer an attitude, they are probably gonna charge you. So, live by that during the install and you should have no problems.

I am usually super nice, plus I got a great looking dog.. aslong as he is some what of a nice guy I hope he does it for me..

( I will say something along the lines of, " If its not to much trouble please run two lines instead of just one, and a nice tip will be waiting :) )

LMAO-Instead, make an offer less than what you would give for a tip. If you were going to give like $20 for tip, offer him $15 to run the line. Then its like a tip, and side work all in one. Some guys go by the book, but others will fudge :) Good luck!

I posted this in another post earlier today about diplexers:
Why is everyone so against diplexers? All I hear is "stand-firm" don't let those stupid installers use diplexers? I've had my DirecTV system since 1995 and have the same diplexers working with my multiswitch and no loss of picture quality what-so-ever. My VOOM also has the diplexers as well and no difference at all. In fact my HD pictures and signal quality on my OTA are amazing.

In fact, I would rather have less ugly cable on the side of my house, less connectors, less possible problems with some cheap, noise inducing plug-in power supply to power the antenna amplifier board. If you don't let the installer use diplexers then you will deal with more problems then you know.

Has anyone REALLY come out with the precise reason why not to use diplexers? Other than all the chat going on? I haven't read any truly legit, real white-paper proof that diplexers are "bad".

Help me out here, if diplexers are "bad" and someone can prove to me how and why, then I'll eat my words and quickly remove them from both of my systems.

Diplexers are not bad in general but some of the diplexers that VOOM uses are bad. This has caused some problems like missing channels.

So, that means tell your installer absolutly NO WAY?
What if you have more than 2 receivers and will have a multiswitch installed? So now the installer needs to install an antenna signal splitter. Sorry, by the time the antenna runs through the splitter with a loss of 7.5db and the cable run itself + the extra connectors, what was gained?

VOOM admited they had shipped a bad batch in December of the wrong diplexers, that was an isolated problem and I stand FIRM on diplexers ar OK!

Thanks Sean for your comments!

With two cables your two antenna systems are independant of each other so if a fault develops in one the other will still work and it will take half the time to trace the problem, that alone is worth an extra cable run!

Still, Where Is The Proof That Diplexers Are Bad?

PSB said:
With two cables your two antenna systems are independant of each other so if a fault develops in one the other will still work and it will take half the time to trace the problem, that alone is worth an extra cable run!

So you're saying a diplexer will fail where a splitter and cable with fittings won't?
Your basis for this is what? The "law-of-averages"? Your claim doesn't make much sense. One will work when the other won't? With that logic then what if the VOOM box goes bad? Both won't work. What if the TV goes out? Get my drift? So anything can "fail" so your theory doesn't float with me.
So far no one on any of these post anywhere has made any REAL reason why diplexers and multiswitches that are specifically designed to combine OTA and satellite signals, are so "bad" all of a sudden. Help me and everyone else understand why not to use diplexers?

Don't get me totally wrong, sure, if a crummy quality diplexer is used then you WILL have problems, no different then if the installer uses crummy cable, fittings, splitters, metal staples...

So come on everyone, this entire idea of "forcing" the installer to run separete cables for the OTA and SAT are NOT FOUNDED ON ANY REAL RESULTS ON ANY CONSISTANT BASIS.

This of course is my opinion, based on more truths than ficticiuos ideas of a possible failure of a part that has a higher proven track record of working properly as designed for many years past.

There are FAR more important issues than "forcing" the "DON'T USE A DIPLEXER ON MY INSTALL, OR YOU CAN JUST LEAVE, MR. STUPID INSTALLER, BECAUSE I READ THAT DIPLEXERS ARE BAD, BUT I DON'T REALLY KNOW WHY" :cool:

I can tell you from a technical standpoint it absolutely degrades your signal, how much? about 1 to 2 dB insertion loss per unit. This may not mean anything to most, but those on the edge may have trouble.

Loss is not an opinion w/the diplexer, its fact. Just depends upon whether it affects you or not.

Personally I'm taking mine out and replacing the cable anyway from that cheap stuff they use to double shielded. And yes, its just my urge, maybe not necessary, I'll measure it when I'm done and let you know how my signal works out. For a passive antenna you are going from 10 connections to 4 when you take out the diplexer. Every connection will 'cause some impedance mismatch so minimizing them may help certain OTA or DBS situations.

sat4me said:
So you're saying a diplexer will fail where a splitter and cable with fittings won't?
Your basis for this is what? The "law-of-averages"? Your claim doesn't make much sense. One will work when the other won't? With that logic then what if the VOOM box goes bad? Both won't work. What if the TV goes out? Get my drift? So anything can "fail" so your theory doesn't float with me.
So far no one on any of these post anywhere has made any REAL reason why diplexers and multiswitches that are specifically designed to combine OTA and satellite signals, are so "bad" all of a sudden. Help me and everyone else understand why not to use diplexers?

Don't get me totally wrong, sure, if a crummy quality diplexer is used then you WILL have problems, no different then if the installer uses crummy cable, fittings, splitters, metal staples...

So come on everyone, this entire idea of "forcing" the installer to run separete cables for the OTA and SAT are NOT FOUNDED ON ANY REAL RESULTS ON ANY CONSISTANT BASIS.

This of course is my opinion, based on more truths than ficticiuos ideas of a possible failure of a part that has a higher proven track record of working properly as designed for many years past.

There are FAR more important issues than "forcing" the "DON'T USE A DIPLEXER ON MY INSTALL, OR YOU CAN JUST LEAVE, MR. STUPID INSTALLER, BECAUSE I READ THAT DIPLEXERS ARE BAD, BUT I DON'T REALLY KNOW WHY" :cool:

It is not that we are forcing the issue but there has been so many cases reported here that had to do with a "bad" diplexer that as PSB, says in most instances it is easier to trace the problem (from the customer point of view). Most of the time customers get very little help from CSRs and have to wait two weeks for a service call. PSB says that if you eliminate the diplexer it becomes much easier for the customer to troubleshoot the problem. Not trying to force it on anyone. At the end, it is customer satisfaction that we are all interested in having.

Every time when you cut a cable to put an additional connector or jack, you will have a certain amount of signal power loss. More connectors you put, more loss you get. That is the way it is - no matter what kind of connector or jack you use. Therefore, diplexers also contribute to the signal loss and there is no way to prevent it.

Now, if you have a very good signal reception you will not notice any loss. However, folks with poor reception may have a lot of problems.

Installers should not charge you anything extra for having two separate cables with no diplexers. Make them call Voom (or you call them) and ask about it. My installer called them (because he didn't think it'll work) and they told him it is fine to put 2 cables. Before he called, he tried to convince me that the whole thing will not work without diplexers :D. He even told me that diplexers boost both signals :confused:. They don't really know much about those equipments. Thay just learned how to install them and that's it.

They should install two cables and not charge you for that as long as total cable length does not exceed the maximum free run, which is 100+ (cannot remember exactly) feet for one receiver.

It does take a bit longer to run the second cable and costs the independent installer a few more dollars from his profit : ) I am not in the quantity game but rather the quality end of the spectrum, I do two installs (right) per day to local and NEC code (or NOT AT ALL), on Tuesday I was at the state of MN. electrical boards office as they personally asked me for some advice and hands on experience relating to satellite installation and grounding, I was happy to help : ) Whatever happened to the customer is always right!

Why does the sat. and ant. need to be right next to each other?? For example..

The sat. needs to be installed in the back of my house facing south, so it will be a long run.. But the ant. can be just on the side of my house only a few feet compared to where the sat. needs to be..

they don't need to be right next to each other. make them as short as you can within reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)