Do I need C Band?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Exciter980

Original poster
Mar 7, 2019
Greetings fellow enthusiasts! I am a new member to satellite guys forums.... ...Long time reader; first time poster! My aunt and uncle used to be big dish dealers and installers and I'm looking to resurrect a system.
Since I'm in the dead zone in my location for OTA antennas; I'm installing a dish for FTA.

I'm looking for opinions on my future setup; and I'm looking for input from people with active systems already. I have both C Band dishes and KU dishes available. My goal is to pick up network affiliates for NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, CW.. I understand it won't be "local" but I'm not concerned with that. Can I get by with a KU dish or should I go ahead and plan on cband? Only reason I'm hesitant on cband is peaking the dish to follow the arc. I have read many forums with channel lists and they are all different. I thought someone with an active system already will have a better idea on actual available stations.

I'm going to use my 4dtv receiver to move the dish if I go cband. Is there no such thing anymore as a receiver that moves the dish automatically as you change the channel? Do FTA KU dish kits do this? Tell me what you guys think.. Can you recommend a decent signal meter or something other than a bird dog to peak a dish? Many I see on amazon or ebay says they don't work in the us region.

Reactions: Titanium
Hello and welcome...if you’re looking for locals ku has a nice assortment of abc, cbs, nbc etc etc. As far as moving the dish with ku you can buy a receiver compatible with USALS and a motor for the dish. If you want to move your C then you can use your 4dtv to move the dish or you can buy a positioner on titaniums website. You can download free apps on your phone to point the dish and they get you in the right direction. I hope you enjoy the hobby.Www.titaniumsatellite.com

Reactions: Exciter980
I agree with Calmeidajr about the technical advice. For Ku you can get a motor that is made for a 90 cm or 120 cm dish and can be controlled by any modern receiver without the need for a separate positionner, and for C-Band, either use an old positionner (such as your 4dtv) or get Titanium's ASC-1 that would get controlled by the receiver through DiSEQc commands.

However, as far as I know the only networks you will find on Ku that is somewhat close to full-time is NBC's national feeds on 103W. There are feeds for ABC news, CBS and Fox and CNN, but they are just feeds, either for news or occasional events. There is PBS full-time on 87W and 125W.

For more substantial ABC and Fox, there's a lot more on C-Band. CBS is however only transmitting using a different color encoding that most receivers can't use. The number of network affiliates on FTA satellite seems to be on the decline, but there are still a few.

If I were you, I would get as much equipment as is available to you from your uncle and aunt. Set the C-band stuff aside for now, in a safe place, for later use.

i'd get started with a Ku dish, not motorized, and see what you can get, and in the process, learn by experience, so that you get a good understanding of the arc, etc. Then motorize it if you want to go in that direction. Then if you have room for it, install the C-Band system. By then you will have gained good knowledge and should be able to adjust it correctly. And this forum has many people who can provide advice on fine-tuning. You can use the 4dtv receiver as a positionner at first , or invest in an ASC-1 if you want a more automated system.

For the receiver, the Amiko mini HD 265 is a great unit that is easy to use. Fellow forum member KE4EST sells it at ESTsatellite.com.
For a more advanced receiver, but with a learning curve, the new Edision OS Mio 4k seems to be the best choice. It is sold by Titanium. Titaniumsatellite.com. Both KE4EST and Titanium provide outstanding support.

Just to add to the excellent advice above, there are several ways to receive live CBS programming (MPEG4 4:2:2). A PC with a DVBS2 tuner card is simple, but often not inexpensive. Many STBs (like the Edision OS Mio 4K) have the ability to steam TV and RAdio services over your network. A computer running VLC or a cheap IPTV STB from Amazon/Ebay can tune and decode the 4:2:2 channels (or any channels that you stream over your home network).

C-band is where the bulk of English entertainment programming is found. Backhauls can be found on both C and KU, but most news and event feeds primarily use KU.

Do you 'need' c-band capability? That is a totally subjective question. I have both and many people on the board have both. Most people start out with KU and when they get bitten by the bug upgrade and add a c-band dish. KU will most likely be easier and cheaper to set up initially and you can cut your teeth on that. Personally however I find a lot more content on the c-band side with stuff I actually want to watch and you can also get ABC, CBS and NBC direct network feeds on c-band. As it is I rarely fire up the KU side anymore unless I'm looking for a reported sports feed or want to watch RT or something.

Awesome information! I appreciate everyone's feedback very much. Having been a DTV tech manager in the past; peaking a KU dish is easy and I know I can peak a C Band dish if i'm patient. I will absolutely be getting a n ASC-1 as I prefer automated. I'm going to go ahead and go C Band all the way. I'm more interested in the network feeds than anything and an Edision OS Mio 4k seems to be the way to go also.
**Question about "blind scan." If I have an ASC-1 unit, does blind scan feature move the C Band dish and scan all the channels as it goes? Same question for a motorized KU kit.. does it move the dish and stop across the arc and do channel scans?

I will definitely take pictures as I go and share. I always enjoy seeing everyone's setup. Thank ya!

Hey Expert Satellite Guys! I am brand new to the web site! My question is similar to Exciter980 except that I am looking to get a C and/or Ku band dish for just feeds (i.e. things that do NOT occur on broadcast TV). I enjoyed the days of stumbling on broadcast feeds that had no announcing or had some news guys straightening his tie getting ready to do a broadcast. My guess is that I can get a dish (C or Ku band) and just not subscribe to any paid channels but your advice is much appreciated. I would also like advice on which dish to get and where to buy it! Seems as if the only dealers are selling Dish Network or DirecTV (I have DirecTV already). Also are there still audio channels on the C and Ku band dishes?

thanks
Jeffery

Reactions: Exciter980
Hey Expert Satellite Guys! I am brand new to the web site! My question is similar to Exciter980 except that I am looking to get a C and/or Ku band dish for just feeds (i.e. things that do NOT occur on broadcast TV). I enjoyed the days of stumbling on broadcast feeds that had no announcing or had some news guys straightening his tie getting ready to do a broadcast. My guess is that I can get a dish (C or Ku band) and just not subscribe to any paid channels but your advice is much appreciated. I would also like advice on which dish to get and where to buy it! Seems as if the only dealers are selling Dish Network or DirecTV (I have DirecTV already). Also are there still audio channels on the C and Ku band dishes?

thanks
Jeffery

I would recommend the GeoSat Pro 90cm dish, which is available on Ebay bundled with an LNB for $99 shipped.

Here's the link. Looks like they have just over 9,000 in stock. Wowza! 36 Inch 90 cm Free To Air FTA Satellite Dish & HD LNBF | eBay

thanks
Jeffery
Well, you are in luck... For the feeds, a lot of the action is on Ku (there are feeds on C-Band too, but still, Ku has a lot). So you can get by with a simpler system. My recommendation would be a 90cm or 120 cm dish, and a good receiver and a Diseqc motor. You could even start without the motor and get familiar with dish aiming and all that good stuff if you are not already familiar with it (since you seem to have had some system in the past). For the dish, it seems that the consensus is on the GeoSatPro 90cm that was mentionned above. 120cm is better but a lot more expensive to buy and to ship. I would get a universal LNBF, if only for the more exotic satellites (for example for the Tahitian stuff on 180E, and maybe some Mexican stuff, in lower Ku band), but if the dish comes with a standard LNBF, that's ok, you'll still get most of the feeds. As for the motor, the STAB brand seems to be reputable. For the receiver, the Amiko mini HD265 is affordable and dependable. The Edision OS Mio 4K seems to be currently the top choice but is more expensive and has a steeper learning curve.

www.estsatellite.com
www.titaniumsatellite.com

I'm definitely going to go with cband. Then I can play with both! Now I'm trying to decide if I want to put up the 10ft mesh or the 8ft solid.

I'm definitely going to go with cband. Then I can play with both! Now I'm trying to decide if I want to put up the 10ft mesh or the 8ft solid.

Shipping on a solid dish is going to be cost prohibitive. I’d go with the mesh (I did) and as long as you put it together good the dB gain on a 10’ mesh is going to be superior to a 8’ solid.

You wouldn't think but there are a number of feeds on Cband my 7.5' dish can not get that my 10 footer can get. You will be much happier with 10'. You need at least 10' for 16apsk feeds. They are getting more common.

Sent from my VS995 using the SatelliteGuys app!