Do I need this Zinwell device?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

BillHoughton

Original poster
Jul 5, 2014
Going in the opposite direction of many folks: we have one TV, and don't need more. So I'm wondering whether I need a switch/splitter in the circuit.

I'm in the process of moving the DirecTV DVR from the living room to our remodeled sitting room. Currently, there are two cables coming down from the dish (installed by a DirecTV installer), into a Zinwell MS3X4WB-Z multiswitch. The antenna input on the switch is unused. Output has two cables to the old DirecTV DVR location, and one wandering off, I think to the sitting room where we used to have a second TV. The fourth output port is capped. If I'm not going to use that third cable, do I need the switch, or can I simply extend the cables from the dish under the house and hook them up to the DVR? And, if I do, is there any need to tie any given cable to any given input on the DVR, or are they interchangeable as far as how I attach them?

:welcome to Satelliteguys BillHoughton!

You can extend the cables as you want, no difference which ones go where.

If you only have 1 DVR (you didn't say what model), a non Genie, you can run the 2 cables from the dish to the back of your DVR and hook them up and redo your Sat Set Up and you should be good to go ...
This is provided your not using a SWM set up of course.

Thanks, Raoul and Jimbo. The box doesn't say Genie on it anywhere, and, if I don't know what SWM stands for, I assume I can't be using it. So you've just simplified this changeover nicely. Thanks for the quick reply.

Thanks, Raoul and Jimbo. The box doesn't say Genie on it anywhere, and, if I don't know what SWM stands for, I assume I can't be using it. So you've just simplified this changeover nicely. Thanks for the quick reply.
Is everything up and running now ?

Fwiw, you can find the recvr and dish info in the Menus, go to :
Menu/ Settings and help/Settings/Info and Test ....

Then More Info, this screen will give you a wide variety of info, Recvr model and dish type as well.

Welcome to the site!!

Jimbo, I assumed since he is using a Zinwell 3x4 switch, that he doesn't have a swm setup. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts