Do I need to contact DN for an upgrade?

TenaGoble

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
With the Eastern Arc going into effect in my DMA, one of my receivers is an HD, other one is SD. I have already gotten the cards installed on my boxes, but I am concerned about 2 things.

1. Do I have to call DN to get the HD locals activated?

2. Can I now order HD channels only for my HDTV and seperate standard programming for my other receiver?

Dish 1000, VIP211, 311 receivers

call dish to see if the locals are up yet, and just confirm with them if you can get them on the 129 orbital roomer has it that they are going to mirror the locals on 61.5 to 129

With the Eastern Arc going into effect in my DMA, one of my receivers is an HD, other one is SD. I have already gotten the cards installed on my boxes, but I am concerned about 2 things.

1. Do I have to call DN to get the HD locals activated?

2. Can I now order HD channels only for my HDTV and seperate standard programming for my other receiver?

Dish 1000, VIP211, 311 receivers
You do not need to call Dish if you have the orbital location your locals are on. You would need to call if they are not.
If your locals are on 61.5 you don't need to worry about your current receivers, Dish will set you up with 61.5 if you need it. If the locals are on 77, you definately need a different smart card for your HD receiver and the EA dish as well. Your sd receiver would not be effected and would continue to run on your current setup which would mean several dishes on your property. Not sure if Dish will upgrade your sd receiver for free, but you may get one with the DIU program, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

A lot of people are not going to accept multiple dishes. They will switch to cable/FIOS/DirecTv first. Also people are not going to accept being charged (at least a lot of money) to swapout the MPEG-2 receivers for MPEG-4 receivers in addition to a charge to go to EA 1000.4 dish with the promotions that the other companies offer.

A lot of people are not going to accept multiple dishes. They will switch to cable/FIOS/DirecTv first. Also people are not going to accept being charged (at least a lot of money) to swapout the MPEG-2 receivers for MPEG-4 receivers in addition to a charge to go to EA 1000.4 dish with the promotions that the other companies offer.

I agree and am waiting to see what happens.

According to today's retailer chat, existing customers will need a THIRD dish:

Interesting question...

Existing customer from Harrisburg wants to upgrade to HD. He has a Dish 500 now. His HD locals are only on 77 degrees.

He is told that he needs 3 dishes, a Dish 500, a Dish 300 pointed at 61.5 for national HD and another Dish 300 pointed at 77 for his HD locals..

Man how screwed up is that? Don't these guys think about things before they do things?

It will be interesting to see if this is still the case in February after the Turbo stand alone packages are available to existing subs...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)