Do I need to do a re-set for W5?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If he can get W4 16 for PBS Shepherd's Chapel is right next door at G4 16 V polarity

Is there any way to "lock out" someone from being able to re-program anything, i.e. a password so this doesn't happen again? I don't want to have to ban him from touching the remote
should be able to. I know my Starchoice boxes which are like the 920 has a password to lock as much or as little as you want :D

Well, I caved and told him to call the installer. Neither of us have a clue wtf he did and I have no idea of how to set this thing up. I'm not pleased about having to spend $100 to have my system re-programmed, but that's what happens when you don't know what you're doing and can't get someone to stop playing around with the system when they know even less than you do. (Yeah, I'm peeved at him.)

ETA: Of course, the installer will be too busy to come out and do this until, most likely, Monday, so we are without TV until then.

Not surprisingly, the installer has not called back.

We were able to get hits for the guide on another bird, but I'm not sure which one it was.

Anyone...can someone talk me through what to do to get this on my own? I need it broken down into little pieces and in plain laymen's terms. I'm not stupid, but I've never done this before. (Once I have done the whole thing, it will be easy for me to do again, but I need a slow talk-through the first time.)

Any help would be very much appreciated. (I am going out for about an hour now, but if someone thinks it would be easier to do over the phone, I would be happy to accept a collect call. Please send a PM if you think that would be a better option.)

Thanks again guys!

The latest...

Heard from the installer today. He will "probably" be able to make it out on Thursday, but he's really busy and says it is a huge job. :(

I tried doing some more stuff (since it's messed already, why not?). Tried to re-set the dish limits. East and west are both stuck at 5000 and it will not move more than 1 point either way before saying "limit reached". The dish itself does not appear to move.

Is this something to do with the set-up or is it another broken actuator? I don't watch a lot of TV, but dammit, I'm paying for programming and was looking forward to seeing something! :(

Any help would be appreciated.

Huge job? sounds odd that a sat tech would say that, if you have dvb receiver it mite take a bit longer but if you are only using 4dtv then 45 minutes it's done.

Not sure what the deal is with the limit, an arm should last 8-12 years easy, more if you get a quality one, did you flop the dish?

This dealer list is probably the most up to date one on the net.
http://www.onsat.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=12

Thanks for your reply.

I think it's a "huge" job for him because he really doesn't do much with C-band anymore...he pushes for Bell ExpressVu.

What is "flop the dish"?

This is the third actuator in three years. The first one had to be replaced due to it not being used for several years, but it had lasted for at least 10 years before then. The second one died after a few months and was, apparently, "defective", but no warranty. Suspicious? Yeah, I thought so too. If this one is also dead, it lasted maybe 13 mos.

flop the dish means (I think) you overextended the actuator by moving the dish too far east or west and when you try and go the other direction it wont move

I tried doing some more stuff (since it's messed already, why not?). Tried to re-set the dish limits. East and west are both stuck at 5000 and it will not move more than 1 point either way before saying "limit reached". The dish itself does not appear to move.

i suspect since it was clicking earlier in the post that the limits are set incorrectly

It will only move a few inches at a time without the feedback pulse from the dish actuator. Does the dish actually move with someone standing out there watching it? Perhaps the mechanism attachments are seized or rusted in place? Was it moving OK before the reset?

If it is jammed past the limit you can manually turn it back. But, we need to know what's wrong to help. How about a photo of what the dish looks like now?

There is more help here than what is probably available locally from a small dish installer.

it didnt work

hit reply and below the box to reply there is a option for "manage attachments"..you can upload the photos there

after looking at the photos ( and yes they help ) i would say you have experinced "Dish flop"
its over extended too much to the east and lost connection with the worm/screw drive.

you can recover from this with one person at the dish and another inside running the receiver to the west ( this might take several tries if you get errors or limit reached.
the person at the dish has to lift up on the east side of the dish helping the actuator arm reconnectto the worm/screw drive... once it catches it will start moving west.

once it catches if you can stop it or catch the number on the receiver that will be the east limit.
the west limit will or cann be all the way since there isn't anyway it can flop going west. (on a right side mounted motor/actuator)

Well Wife and I say thank you will try that tomorrow and yes being that we are in Canada it would be a veary long drive for you gabshere
Thanks so much for you help you guys are the best

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)