Do I need to do a re-set for W5?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dazzling

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 1, 2007
I am completely befuddled when it comes to this stuff. X4 has always been a crappy signal (I lose Sci-Fi whenever the wind blows) and I was thrilled that it was moving to W5...until I found out that W5 is not mapped into my receiver.

When I go to add it, it is there, but I can't get it to actually "do" anything. When I called my provider, they said I would have to do a factory re-set. This sounds like something I don't want to do and should avoid if I can.

You guys helped me so much before and I thought I would check with the experts here before I do anything that might cause me to lose everything else I have! I think my receiver is a 920 (it was purchased used on ebay and works really well, but is likely a few years old).

Oh, and please, if you have advice, I have no clue about technical terms...feel free to "speak" to me like you're talking to your grandma...or a ditzy blonde! I'll need a step-by-step guide geared to someone who hasn't had to do anything more than push the buttons on the remote. (Ok, you guys did talk me through replacing my LNB and some other things, but w/o your clear instructions, I would still be watching paint dry!)

wait now...my grandma is pretty tech savvy ;)

the easiest thing to do is to move the dish over to Galaxy 1 (Galaxy 15 at 133 degrees west). Once the dish is there, select a channel between 167 & 175. If you don't subscribe to the Starz channels (these are the channels between 167 & 175) it will say "not subscribed" but that's OK.

Let it sit there for 20 minutes and it will "map" (download) the correct channels and satellites (including W5).

Once its mapped then you should be able to select W5 as a satellite option and watch the programs :)

Thanks Ice.

I knew I could get great advice here. Unfortunately, my husband was too impatient and kept dicking around with the receiver. He has completely wiped out ALL the satellites. I've given him the URL and he will be posting later for advice on how to fix this since I am off to work. *shakes head*

uh oh...OK so he did a master rest then ;)

Just move the dish back to G1/G15 (133W) and let it reload...Hopefully the satellite is still in there. It will load all the new channels/satellites in there :)

As you can see by my Tag I'm her husband

I really mess up bad
Think I did more then did a master rest cant find G1 and what ever Sat I try to go on it saying this

This Satellite is located beyond your limits
and what ever sat I hit I get the same thing

is there a way to fix this I know you guys are a lot smarter then me when it comes to this stuff

The easiest thing to do is download the receiver manual from the FTA Manuals area and start just like you were installing it for the first time.

What satellite were you on when you did the reset?

After you get your limits set, move your dish to about where G1 is near the lower west end of the arc. Go to channel 5 on H polarity and move east or west a little at a time. Look for ARTS on channel 5, ShopNBC will be on 12V and a religious channel on 17H. These are free analog channels and should come right in.

This will be satellite G15 (G1 4DTV). If leave leave it on channel 3 it will map too if the green DCII light is on.

I should also mention it's risky to unplug an aging 920 receiver. It has an internal battery that may be low. If it's dead your receiver will lose it's ID# and it will not get any subscribed programming after powering up again.

I thin I was on W1 when I made this mess
but I think I sorted it out what I did was went in to opp and moved up the limits hope that helps.

Right now I'm trying to find FTA Manuals so I mite have to start from the begging

Man I mess up bad

I do want to say thank you for everyone's help so far

Thanks guys. I knew you were the ones to ask!

One of the problems we have is that we are sometimes unable to get a hit on G1 as our signal is not strong (don't know if it's weather dependent of what).

Anyway, since i'm at work, I'll let my husband try and figure out what he did and how to fix it. (P.S. - If you can't find the manual on the coffee table, look in the forum for "FTA Manuals".)

Thanks IceBerg still no luck tryed everything I seen posted frist

Luck for me I do have the manual and as far I can tell I did follow the steps but still no luck.
cant ever find anything of the free stuff cant ever find the G1 Sat oh well will keep trying
thanks for all the help :)
the only good thing so far that I know I have a Generl Instument 920

Last edited:
My comment on the tag == "The mark of your intellegence is the wife you choose!"
And, yes, we do family counseling.
POP

You can get this figured out, breath deep, enumerate the numerals between zero and eleven, then look at it again... You will get it! We have faith in you - and in the instructions you receive on this forum.

My comment on the tag == "The mark of your intellegence is the wife you choose!"
And, yes, we do family counseling.
POP

Well then, he is extra smart (just dyslexic) since he chose me and I came here for advice as soon as I knew there was a problem. :eureka

Hopefully, we'll get this figured out since the "installer" in our area knows less than I do and just tries to sell everyone on Bell ExpressVu. I am off work tomorrow so if hubby doesn't get this sorted, I will figure it out then. :rolleyes:

You guys are the best!

Well guys all of you are the best for taking the time out in helping me
I did find out what the trouble was look like the actuator arm went

I never thought to go out and check the dish itself (note to self that should be rule number one )
but I must tell you this I learned a lot from you guys to day and that I'm grateful for that and this is a nice place and I'm coming back for more :)

look like the actuator arm went

*bangs head on desk* Obviously I won't know what the problem is until I can look at it in the daylight tomorrow, but if it is the actuator arm, this will be the THIRD one in 2 years. What are we doing that is killing them or are some just lemons?

if its the actuator is it the sensor ( the 4dtv stops counting ) or the actuator going out all together.

if its the sensor you can get a replacement for that just post actuator type & model #

if its the actuator going out you might need a heavy duty type or maybe the dish is getting into a bind. so checking the pivot points of the dish might be in order.

Depending on what your programming needs are, you might be able to leave the dish pointed at W5 once you get it there. With 4DTV that would mean sacrificing the EPG but, if you've been having trouble with G1 you probably didn't have it anyway.

If you can't hit G1 try G5. If you can get a green light on channels 100> it will remap there too. Sadly, there are no longer any clear analog channels on G5 to help you find it.

Ok. Had a chance to look at the arm this morning. It seems to be working fine. "Somehow" it got pointed about 100 degrees too far to the east. "Someone" must have been messing around with the limits. *sigh*

He's been able to find W4 16 (PBS) and programmed that in. Having difficulty with the Shepherd's Network on the bird to the east, but figure that he will be spending all day now trying to find and re-program the satellites that he wiped yesterday.

I have a headache and am tired of listening to the "click, click, click" as the thing is moved.

(Is there any way to "lock out" someone from being able to re-program anything, i.e. a password so this doesn't happen again? I don't want to have to ban him from touching the remote.) :p

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts