Do I REALLY need DECA for MRV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nsayer

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Santa Clara, CA
I was part of the beta for a while, before there was ever any talk of DECA. Both of my DVRs are connected with Ethernet, both were seeing each other just fine, both can do on-demand. So far as I am aware, there's nothing extra I would get from going to all the bother of setting up DECA. We do have SWM, FWIW.

So why is it that the button to pay the extra $3 for MRV greyed out with a notice that I am "not elligible"?

I am seriously considering blowing the whole thing off for a TiVo Premiere and Comcast at this point.

You have all you need. You just need to call or email to get it "unsupported." You can't do it online via your account. I did it prior to getting DECA. I do like DECA better. It seems faster than my wired network...

I admittedly do not use DECA but I don't see the need. I do everything I need to HD MRV-wise without any glitches, burbs, hesitation, etc for just the $3 /mo fee; no other additional costs as I already had everything else in my gigabit network.

I admittedly do not use DECA but I don't see the need. I do everything I need to HD MRV-wise without any glitches, burbs, hesitation, etc for just the $3 /mo fee; no other additional costs as I already had everything else in my gigabit network.

Charper,
So there is still NO way to do this without paying D* another $ 3 a month ?
I was hoping that if you set it up on your own without the DECA that thre was other ways around the addl. fees that keep wanting for every little thing.

Yeah but not everyone has network drop behind every TV and it's easier to hook up a DECA and let it do the rest. Instead of having to have physical drops and patch cables every where as well.

Charper,
So there is still NO way to do this without paying D* another $ 3 a month ?
I was hoping that if you set it up on your own without the DECA that thre was other ways around the addl. fees that keep wanting for every little thing.

Nope, MRV is disabled on the boxes. Without paying the fee there is no way to get it.

Yeah but not everyone has network drop behind every TV and it's easier to hook up a DECA and let it do the rest. Instead of having to have physical drops and patch cables every where as well.

I agree to each his own, especially since each person's knowledge level and skill set is different; but I see this as a 7-11 type thing, paying way too much (and relying too much support wise) for the convenience factor on something that is very easy to learn how to DIY. I did my own CAT6 runs and setups myself and based on all the photos I have seen regarding DECA setups, it not anywhere near a clean "look" overall vs CAT jumpers. All said and done, supplies and all, I still spent less money for the same thing. But I do get your point. I was merely answering if DECA is "needed"; which its not.

Im in the same boat. You can buy cat 5 cheap so thats what I did. I bought about 400 ft, a box of 7 dollar connectors and borrowed a set of nice crimpers from work and made up two cables. Ive got about 30 dollars in the whole setup.

I've picked up some nice cat5 cables from amazon that are in their 'amazon basics' line. I think they were around $4 for a 15' cable with a well made molded shell, and eligible for Prime.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)