do registry cleaners really work?

pjmrt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 13, 2003
I have an install of XP Pro which is showing some signs of sluggishness. Also, I have a great deal of trouble uninstalling a Brother printer driver/software (finally had to get a custom uninstall tool from Brother, and even then am not sure it did a good job). Do registry cleaners like Registry Mechanic work well? Anyone give one of these products a try and have some advice?

I use CCleaner, it handles stuff from startup through to registry and gives you some nice options and best of all its free.

How long since XP was originally installed ? If it's been 2+ years, strongly consider backing up your data and re-formatting. It will breathe new life into the system.

How long since XP was originally installed ? If it's been 2+ years, strongly consider backing up your data and re-formatting. It will breathe new life into the system.

Its been about 1.5 years. I am reluctant to reformat as xp has that silly reactivation thing w/ microsoft -- its cumbersome and I suspect I will have to call a rep and wait on hold to do so.

Its been about 1.5 years. I am reluctant to reformat as xp has that silly reactivation thing w/ microsoft -- its cumbersome and I suspect I will have to call a rep and wait on hold to do so.

i have called that activation number a few times in the last few months, and its actually not too bad. I never talked to anyone... it was an automated system the whole time. It just asked me if I had made any hardware changes (SAY YES), and then it gave me the new number... just took about 5 minutes

After reading that, I then look at your avatar..... Hmmmm.... :eek:

I only had to deal with a rep once, I had to reformat twice this year due to the kid messing things up, didnt have to call Billy's elf's at all.

I only had to talk to a rep once also, but it was still quick and painless.

I am no computer wiz by no means. I have paid for these cleaners but as other posters have said, the best way if things slow down is to reinstall your os. After doing this it should kick butt. Mine has. I have learned that about once a year to do this. Better than any cleaner I know.

Back in the day, Symantec Win Doctor was the bomb, however, required you to pay for it, and anymore I don't like Symantec much. I use AVG for anti-virus, Ad-Aware for spyware/adware, and CCleaner for OS cleanup etc... All of these programs have one thing in common, they are all freeware, and I have found that they perform as good or better than those programs that are bought.

However, no registry cleaners work as good as a re-format and fresh install of everything. Which requires backing up data, programs etc. so that there isn't any problems. As far as activation goes, you shouldn't have to talk to anyone, you can connect through internet and send everything electronically, and as long as you didn't change your processor or motherboard there shouldn't be any problems, and certainly everything can be done over dial-up or broadband internet connection. No need to call, however, if you do call, it is automated, and only time I had to speak with someone, was when it wouldn't accept the OEM number for some reason (everything was taken care of in less than 5 minutes with CSR though).

Of course, if you've got some sort of hacked version of XP, that might pose a problem, but nothing $100 can't fix, by buying a legal copy.......

Had to use adaware plus ccleaner and a restore point lastnight after a video viewer I installed came with four other programs and a hijacker discuised as a virus program that emulated windows security center and its componants right down to the tray icon.

I have never used a registry cleaner. I tend not to install much on my computers though. I build them, so I do not get all the junk that comes on a new computer (I did buy a laptop, but had so many demo programs, I simply reinstalled it to get a nice clean image).

I just run mainstream applications and try to avoid downloading anything. One of the things I love about "web 2.0". Run the applications at some web site and let them worry about maintaining it. Just point a web browser at it when I want it!

I use ccleaner. Regularly. Depending on what I am doing I sometimes run it several times a day. Just to keep any cookies I happened to pick up cleaned out.

Frank Jr.
What is the os? I would like to try this as I have run several program to clean up the bugs but my computer is very slow. I have been told to stay away from adaware as it will load up your computer with bugs and etc. I am at the point that I really would welcome some help--please.

I have ccleaner. I am less diligent about using than some others. Because of this thread I did run it and it significantly improved startup time. I have to say that it does help. maybe not as muchas full reinstallation but it does help.

Frank Jr.
What is the os? I would like to try this as I have run several program to clean up the bugs but my computer is very slow. I have been told to stay away from adaware as it will load up your computer with bugs and etc. I am at the point that I really would welcome some help--please.
OS is your operating system. Have you ever defragged your computer. I ran across a collage student not long ago that never heard of it and was complaining that her laptop was running slow. It was about 2 years old. I was amazed that it would work at all. Click start then control panel and then performance and maintenance. This is assuming you have Windows XP for you operating system. Also as other posters have said ccleaner works well. You can find ccleaner on the Internet and down load it free. Hope this helps.:)

Last edited:
I've never heard of AdAware putting bugs on a PC. I run it, then follow with SpyBot.

If you reformat, run Belarc first, to get all your serial #s, etc.

Soon, I will have to reformat and rebuild. But I think I'll just buy a new HDD or two, and rebuild on that. Then I'll have the old to fall back on if there's a problem. If not, I can use them for added storage. HDDs have gotten cheap.

I'm not sure I'll ever install Ghost again, though. Ugh! Even though I use it to backup to an external HDD.

adaware is safe, anyone that goes around saying it loads up bugs most likely had some nasty virus and adware / spyware on their comp already that would require a wipe and reinstall. Spybot is also a good utility just be sure that you dont try to shut it down while its doing anything as it gets into core area's of your os, I learned the hard way and corrupted a primary file.

I have been told to stay away from adaware as it will load up your computer with bugs and etc.
Adware is what you want to avoid. Ad-Aware is software that removes it.

Try this: Click Start, Run, then type msconfig in the box and hit OK. Click the Startup tab then "Disable all" and OK. Reboot when it prompts you to. See how much quicker Windows starts next time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts