Do the Discovery Suite channels on W5 end on 1 June, or 30 June?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bigjohn500

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
I need to purchase some more programming and need to know if the Discovery suite channels on W5 end on 1 June, or 30 June? I'm very satisfied with my Skyvision basic pack, but absolutely have to have the Discovery suite channels. Thnx

Have you called and asked them about it, they might have the correct answer for you. Your other choice is just order the Discovery pak on a monthly base until the correct answer comes out.

All I know is they are working on it. Call SRL and ask for an update if your worried.

Have you called and asked them about it, they might have the correct answer for you. Your other choice is just order the Discovery pak on a monthly base until the correct answer comes out.

I called and they couldn't guarantee me anything one way or the other. I hate paying the higher monthly rate, but I'm not taking any chances because without the Discovery Suite channels, I will finally be forced to go with [gag] Charlie.

Screw Charle get Direct if you must have pizza or get Cable. In fact Charlie came down from my neighbors house the other day and he got Direct. Charlie is screwing his subs left & right. I don't forsee H2H not working something out. The problem is where to put the channels X4 or turn on the masters. Last I heard X4 is the cheaper route.

Screw Charle get Direct if you must have pizza or get Cable. In fact Charlie came down from my neighbors house the other day and he got Direct. Charlie is screwing his subs left & right. I don't forsee H2H not working something out. The problem is where to put the channels X4 or turn on the masters. Last I heard X4 is the cheaper route.

Sorry, I had the impression you worked for SRL and might know.

Direct is way too high!!!! and I'm on a fixed income [zero - job went to Mexico], and 'rely on the kindness of strangers'.

Cable is not available way out here. Matter of fact, we are so deep in the holler, they have to pump sunshine in here.

I can get IPTV through local phone co-op, but they charge extra for Discoverys.
It w/b $53.95 + $6.95 [discovery] + $16.95 [HD] = $77.85 + tax [9.75%] = $85.44......insane!!! BLTV goto packages and pricing, choose a zip code, and you can then see info. And IPTV HD is about the same as Masters DCII SD. Father - in - Law has the phone line TV from BLTV. They use copper wires, if they ran fibre to the home, every ch. could be in 1080p [if ch. was 1080p]

And I can get most of that with [ugh] pizzasat HD [free for life!!!...wonder how that will end?] for $29.95 for the 1st yr....and who knows or cares...the way the country is going, the $$$ may be worthless and the 2nd yr may be moot.

I'm totally satisfied with the Skyvision pack for TV, just have to have Discovery suite of channels.

Perhaps, like when the conversion to HITS took place, its time to (stress here the next word) politely contact Discovery with notes of support as we did earlier? This site has a history of being viewed in a positive way by others, and "thank you" for carrying/continuing to carry couldn't hurt! Specifically mentioning the H2H/SRL method of purchasing for us C-band people. Not sure if its a hard and fast contractual issue, or if they could extend again. They seemed to want us viewing when the issue first surfaced!

Thoughts?

If they end the channels, SRL should brace for a drop of subs. I do miss the main Discovery and if they others go away there won't be enough left for me. There are not that many channels remaining that I currently enjoy on H2H and Science, Green and HUB are among channels we watch. I too started pricing the alternatives.

Sorry, I had the impression you worked for SRL and might know.

Direct is way too high!!!! and I'm on a fixed income [zero - job went to Mexico], and 'rely on the kindness of strangers'.

Cable is not available way out here. Matter of fact, we are so deep in the holler, they have to pump sunshine in here.

I can get IPTV through local phone co-op, but they charge extra for Discoverys.
It w/b $53.95 + $6.95 [discovery] + $16.95 [HD] = $77.85 + tax [9.75%] = $85.44......insane!!! BLTV goto packages and pricing, choose a zip code, and you can then see info. And IPTV HD is about the same as Masters DCII SD. Father - in - Law has the phone line TV from BLTV. They use copper wires, if they ran fibre to the home, every ch. could be in 1080p [if ch. was 1080p]

And I can get most of that with [ugh] pizzasat HD [free for life!!!...wonder how that will end?] for $29.95 for the 1st yr....and who knows or cares...the way the country is going, the $$$ may be worthless and the 2nd yr may be moot.

I'm totally satisfied with the Skyvision pack for TV, just have to have Discovery suite of channels.

No I don't work for SRL or Skyvision. I pay 29.99 a month for Direct I have Choice Extra. You can get the Discoverys for $24.99 with Choice. This is for year one. Direct also has 2 packages they don't advertise Select and Family. I will be going to Family on year 2 + pick up stuff on H2H. You would probably want Select since it has the Discoverys. Wait it out and see what happens with H2H. I know that Skyvision and SRL want to keep those channels they know it would hurt them if they don't. I did a foolish thing when I got Direct since I'm married to it for 14 more months. I jumped the gun and should have waited. The best thing to do is wait it out with C band and see what happens.

If you must look at what Direct really offers look at this: http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=61061&d=1296095502 Like I said though wait it out since Pizza is not friendly like you may think when they suck you in.

Last edited:
Perhaps, like when the conversion to HITS took place, its time to (stress here the next word) politely contact Discovery with notes of support as we did earlier? This site has a history of being viewed in a positive way by others, and "thank you" for carrying/continuing to carry couldn't hurt! Specifically mentioning the H2H/SRL method of purchasing for us C-band people. Not sure if its a hard and fast contractual issue, or if they could extend again. They seemed to want us viewing when the issue first surfaced!

Thoughts?

The problem is not a contract with Discovery. The problem is that the channels need someplace to be put. If they are tacked on to X4 Hits needs $$$$. If the masters are reopened Motorola wants big bucks. I'm sure the top brass at SRL & Sky are in some kind of talks with Comcast Hits to do something. Best not to bug Discovery or Hits at this point from us. Give it till at least later in May before getting all worked up. Things have a way of working out :)

Good points from someone who has helped us quite a bit! (and from history shown on this site, isn't it nice that most people contacting networks are respectful and polite?)

I want to see this working out just as much as anyone. Lets face it I'm a C bander not a Pizza bander. I also know that SRL & Skyvision don't say much about what they are doing behind the scenes to the general public, but they are doing things I can guarantee that. Jumping the gun never seems to help much. Most smart decisions take time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts