Do "unlocked" phones really work?

jgags6

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Rockford,IL
Ive noticed that the iphone has been unlocked and can be used on any service. I was just wondering if someone could tell me how and if this works. Thanks.

Sony Ericsson Unlocked

So while you might PAY DEARLY to get one that is unlocked I would be very cautious to it being legit and also it staying unlocked or under any warranty AND will almost surely lose the ability to take needed software updates; thus losing the hack.

BUT that was what I read the week the iPhone was unlocked the 1st time, maybe things have changed?

The iPhone isn't all that anyway!! Other than the large touch screen its not that big a deal for the cost; now make it under $150 and then they may have something non-fad users could want.

Read here about the unlock

iPhone unlocked: AT&T loses iPhone exclusivity, August 24, 2007, 12:00PM EDT - Engadget

"Again: we can confirm with 100% certainty that iPhoneSIMfree.com's software solution completely SIM unlocks the iPhone, is restore-resistant, and should make the iPhone fully functional for users outside of the US."

Ive noticed that the iphone has been unlocked and can be used on any service. I was just wondering if someone could tell me how and if this works. Thanks.
If you did get an unlocked I-phone, the only other service in the United States it would work on would be T-Mobile. Sprint and Verizon broadcast a different type of signal than AT&T uses. Now, out of the country most providers do use the same system as AT&T and T-Mobile.

If you did get an unlocked I-phone, the only other service in the United States it would work on would be T-Mobile. Sprint and Verizon broadcast a different type of signal than AT&T uses. Now, out of the country most providers do use the same system as AT&T and T-Mobile.

Correct
AT&T and Tmobile. GSM w/ a crappy edge network.

Sprint/Verizon/AllTel CDMA network.