Color printer suggestion

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
My HP5850 color ink jet has given up the ghost. I might get it going again with a power supply replacement (16v & 32v!) but am disinclined to do so. Printer was OK, but I was not too happy with it.

Use is rather light- probably average ~100 pages per month. It must be color, preferably HP, automatic duplex printing and connect directly to the network via RJ-45. The 5850 does this, but I cannot access the printer supplies info over the network- it must be connected directly to the computer to do this. You get a light that says "low ink" but have no idea which cartridge is empty. Black, lightweight carts. I'd prefer access over the network to tell me which supplies are low- or at least, be able to tell at the printer itself. It must have both XP & Vista drivers - and preferably Linux as well.

ALSO, and here's where it gets tough, I want it to handle stiff card stock (45 lb or 6.5 mil or heavier). I can't get that info on the printers at the hp site, anyway. With this feature, we can print our own Xmas & other cards.

I tend toward ink jet, because it's low volume, but would consider color laser. I'm not too concerned about speed or price. So far, I am looking at the HP 6940DT and the HP 2605DN or DTN (what is the difference?). Or perhaps I should get a fancier one for the office (something we planned on for later this year) and take an old color ink jet from there. But that would still have limited ability to handle thick card stock.

Any suggestions?

I use a Dell color laser, but it is a big beast of a printer. It is cheap, prints fairly fast and has nice output. My Dad got a samsung compact unit. It is a tiny color laser. It does well too, just a bit slow. I like color laser over ink jet because of the economics of printing. I do not print photos, color business stuff is what is important. I suppose with the right paper they could do a good job with photos, but I have not worked on it.

We use both on vista. The cost on both is under $300 I believe.

I use a Dell color laser, but it is a big beast of a printer. It is cheap, prints fairly fast and has nice output. My Dad got a samsung compact unit. It is a tiny color laser. It does well too, just a bit slow. I like color laser over ink jet because of the economics of printing. I do not print photos, color business stuff is what is important. I suppose with the right paper they could do a good job with photos, but I have not worked on it.

We use both on vista. The cost on both is under $300 I believe.

Dell Inks are not easy to find..
HP on the other hand are everywhere.

My HP5850 color ink jet has given up the ghost. I might get it going again with a power supply replacement (16v & 32v!) but am disinclined to do so. Printer was OK, but I was not too happy with it.

Use is rather light- probably average ~100 pages per month. It must be color, preferably HP, automatic duplex printing and connect directly to the network via RJ-45. The 5850 does this, but I cannot access the printer supplies info over the network- it must be connected directly to the computer to do this. You get a light that says "low ink" but have no idea which cartridge is empty. Black, lightweight carts. I'd prefer access over the network to tell me which supplies are low- or at least, be able to tell at the printer itself. It must have both XP & Vista drivers - and preferably Linux as well.

ALSO, and here's where it gets tough, I want it to handle stiff card stock (45 lb or 6.5 mil or heavier). I can't get that info on the printers at the hp site, anyway. With this feature, we can print our own Xmas & other cards.

I tend toward ink jet, because it's low volume, but would consider color laser. I'm not too concerned about speed or price. So far, I am looking at the HP 6940DT and the HP 2605DN or DTN (what is the difference?). Or perhaps I should get a fancier one for the office (something we planned on for later this year) and take an old color ink jet from there. But that would still have limited ability to handle thick card stock.

Any suggestions?

HP United States - Computers, Laptops, Servers, Printers & more
Color Inkjet Printers At a glance - HP Small & Medium Business products

Chose the option Help me choose a printer
select the options you want, and you will get the exact printer you want.
Good luck

HP United States - Computers, Laptops, Servers, Printers & more
Color Inkjet Printers At a glance - HP Small & Medium Business products

Chose the option Help me choose a printer
select the options you want, and you will get the exact printer you want.
Good luck

Yes, that is where I go. But no info on handling stiff (thick) stock. I really don't want to expend the bucks without knowing what I'm getting.

Here is the replacement alternative that HP is offering you:
HP Deskjet 6940 Printer (C8970A)
Price: $99.99

Link says "expired." What do you mean by "offering you?" Is there some sort of recall/settlement on the HP 5850? Or do you mean "equivalent?" Actually, since I successfully added a duplexer to the back of my 5850, the 6940DT for a bit more would be equivalent.

I'm on an online chat right now with an HP rep. More posting later.

Very long. Might post a summary later. Edging me toward a $900 Inkjet 2800dtn. I don't think so.

I need:
RJ-45 network
color
automatic duplexing
XP, Vista and preferably Linux drivers
ability to REALLY handle 45 lb or more card stock

For the last, it seems a straight thru path is needed. Getting all these in one unit seems to be getting pricey. I can buy one and if it doesn't work with thick stock return it- but I'm out the shipping. Have to check MicroCenter. Might have to stray from HP- but I've generally regretted doing that.

Or give up on the card stock idea and then almost any cheapie will do. I guess plan B includes buying a super color printer at work that will certainly handle heavy paper. :devil:

We have an HP color laser that works very well. :)
It is the Color LaserJet 2600n.
It was fairly cheap when we got it, IIRC about $300.
Still on the original ink too!

We have an HP color laser that works very well. :)
It is the Color LaserJet 2600n.
It was fairly cheap when we got it, IIRC about $300.
Still on the original ink too!

One of the ones I'm looking at is the 2605. Have you tried some heavy paper in yours? Anything thicker than standard 20 lb paper?

And CG: Which one? And have you tried heavier paper/card stock in yours?

I just bought a Brother Color Laser for the office, has Network as well as USB connectivity. Purchased for about $300 at office Depot. Prints a outstanding color picture. Write me if you want to know more information. Whatever you do, I believe a color laser what you want. Office Depot had a what I would consider a home color laser printer for under $200 that put out a awsome picture also.

The heaviest paper I have run through my Dell laser printer is 65# card stock. It is a bit touchy running it through. The other issue is that since it windes around inside the paper tends to curl, and you have to flatten it overnight to get to lay flat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts