3D Printers, anyone?

mperdue

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 17, 2004
McCordsville, Indiana
I'm just curious if anyone else is working with 3D printers. I've got two that I designed and built that I'm having a lot of fun with.

I printed this 8 foot long model of the USS Discovery from the movie, "2001: A Space Odyssey."

Attachments

• IMG_0026.JPG
    IMG_0026.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 205
Reactions: Foxbat and FTA4PA
So funny since just yesterday I saw the model of the USS Discovery and I decided that this is my next project. Currently my two printers (Prusa i3 MK2, and Ultimaker 3 Extended) are busy on two different projects but once they are done I will start with the USS Discovery.

Which model did you use? This one? http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:950664 ? Did you print it at 200%?

Thanks for sharing your stand. I will initially print the original, smaller size, followed by you 2x version. One for the office (smaller one) and the other (larger) one for home.

I'm hoping to get the time to finish a new command model for the Discovery that has the pod bay and control room.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 5.20.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 5.20.27 PM.png
    111.7 KB · Views: 175
Reactions: Foxbat
I'm hoping to get the time to finish a new command model for the Discovery that has the pod bay and control room.
That'll be amazing! Will you be leaving the area where the windows are empty or will you install glass or something like lexan?

What tool are you using to model?

There will be some sore of clear plastic in the windows. Lexan is kind of difficult to glue but it may end p being what I use.

I use a couple of different design tools. Cheetah 3D, Shade 3d and Fusion 360 depending on what I'm doing.

Seems like a huge model. The base must be 2.5 ft x 2 ft in that scale. How many separate pieces is it made of? More importantly, what printer are you using to print these large models?
To print the tower itself must have required support from hell.

The bottom was printed with no supports, at least during printing. It was divided into flat panels for all the surfaces and then glued together. There is a fair amount of internal bracing to keep it from sagging. The size is slightly bigger than 2' x 2.5'.

The printer is one I designed and built myself. I actually built two of them because I knew people would want me to print stuff and I wanted to have one dedicated to the models I'm building. :) The build volume is 400mm x 300mm x 300mm or about 15.5" x 11.5" x 11.5". After my most recent update I can print draft mode at 200mm/sec and finish parts at 75mm to 100mm/sec.

Sounds like Science Fiction from years ago, when teenagers were fixing up rocket ships....

Maybe the Holosuite isn't that far off.

If there isn't a library or maker space with access to 3D printers in your area then you might try getting one of the many kits available and build your own. It's not terribly difficult to do. The original Prusa kits are a bit more than some of the cut rate stuff but they are much higher quality and work very well when done.

Like mperdue I highly recommend the Prusa Original i3 MK2 (currently MK2S). I built one from the kit four months ago and I am very happy with it. It will set you back $699 + about $70 in shipping to the US but there is a reason Make Magazine chose this printer as the 2017 printer of the year. It wasn't hard at all to put together since they have excellent step by step instructions and as long as you follow the instructions carefully you shouldn't have a problem putting one together. You will also gain knowledge on how these printers work by building one.

Other than models and other eye candy, any practical uses for this model printer?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts