Do you have a new provider lined up if Voom goes dark on 4/1/05??

I am will not consider it as I am not one to chase shadows or scream "The VOOM is falling...The VOOM is falling." Just go back to OTA and my nice big BUD.

I agree with TheTimm...

TheTimm said:
I voted "No, I'm not considering it", because I'm not considering any other providers anymore -- not because I'm not considering the possibility that Voom won't be around after March. Wasn't too sure what the "it" stood for.

If Voom goes dark I'll be sticking with OTA until another provider offers what I consider to be enough HD at a reasonable price.

It's Voom or a combination of OTA and DVD's.

In Utah, I have the option of going with USDTV. They broadcast from Francais peak in Digital format. It is a scrambled OTA signal. I am not really sure how it works, and they only have a few of the most popular channels. However it is a lot cheaper then cable or satellite.

It is worth looking into if Voom doesn't make it.

roland

Time Warner Cable

Although currently a D* and V* customer if V* lives I stay with it if they die I go with Time Warner cable (in my area has 13 HD channels to D* 7).

Either way I'm dropping D* as soon as basketball season is over - No TNT-HD and the only HD channel they added in the last year was Bravo(Universal)HD - bah!.

piperut said:
In Utah, I have the option of going with USDTV. They broadcast from Francais peak in Digital format. It is a scrambled OTA signal. I am not really sure how it works, and they only have a few of the most popular channels. However it is a lot cheaper then cable or satellite.

roland

Yeah, I have heard of the USDTV. Only available in few markets, but they are going to expand. It's interesting how it works, they broadcast some of the cable favorites on an existing OTA frequency band. The $20 STB you can pick up from Wal-mart along with the $20/month service gets you the existing OTA digital channels (in HD as it's an ATSC tuner) along with about 11 cable channels (including Lifetime, ESPN, etc). The downside is that the "cable favorites" are all in SD.
http://www.usdtv.com

If Voom doesn't continue, this is probably what I will go with until something better comes along. That being said, I DON'T WANT VOOM TO GO AWAY!!!

IF Voom goes dark , I would probably go Comcast because there is no commitment and a HD-DVR lease option. However, I'm tempted to go E* just because of TNT-HD (NBA East Conf finals).

piperut said:

roland

Yeah, I have heard of the USDTV. Only available in few markets, but they are going to expand. It's interesting how it works, they broadcast some of the cable favorites on an existing OTA frequency band. The $20 STB you can pick up from Wal-mart along with the $20/month service gets you the existing OTA digital channels (in HD as it's an ATSC tuner) along with about 11 cable channels (including Lifetime, ESPN, etc). The downside is that the "cable favorites" are all in SD.
http://www.usdtv.com

If Voom doesn't continue, this is probably what I will go with until something better comes along. That being said, I DON'T WANT VOOM TO GO AWAY!!!

TheTimm said:
I voted "No, I'm not considering it", because I'm not considering any other providers anymore -- not because I'm not considering the possibility that Voom won't be around after March. Wasn't too sure what the "it" stood for.

If Voom goes dark I'll be sticking with OTA until another provider offers what I consider to be enough HD at a reasonable price.

At first I was going to go go crawling back to E* since I still have all my gear and dises and whatnot. But lately I've been tempted to say the Hell with it and just stick to OTA (like when I wasa kid except with HD). Unless my wife and kids bitch too loudly (no more Boom or Nick of Disney CH) I will try and save myself some money if VOOM Goes dark. (I just can't stand to spend the money on a service that looks so crappy and the HD offerings of E* and D* arn't enough to justify the extra cost.

I posted earlier that I would stay with cable.
I am reading that many of you would go to strictly OTA.
My problem with that is there would be no PG and there is no HD DVR for OTA.

Am I wrong?

piperut said:

roland

Kentstater72 said:

Am I wrong?

The only way I know that you could get guide info and have HD-DVR functionality for ATSC OTA would be to build a Home Theater PC with an ATSC tuner card. I am considering this if Voom went dead, but again, I am praying that won't be the case.

Kentstater72 said:

Am I wrong?
Yep Wrong again, most if not all "OTA" HD receivers have a Pg guide, or at least the one's I've Had " Samsung 151 Zenith 520 Thoshiba 3000, and you're correct who would spend 1000.00 for a HD DVR when a DVR recorder will almost work as good. oh just a thought?

SpeedyG said:

For PQ, USDTV looks like the best option if VOOM dies. However, I think VOOM is going to survive. Anyway, if something does happen. USDTV is going to be worth looking into. I think my TV has a built in tuner that can receive USDTV. The channels all came in in audio only, just no video when I hooked up a OTA antenna. I think I would just need to call up USDTV and give them the serial number off the tv, and they would turn it on. Not really sure how this works.

I did get the local digital stations on my TV with the OTA antenna and the built in ASTC tuner... or we could go back to Dish. We put our Dish account in a 6 month hold. We took Voom $1 install, and 6 month deal. So if something happens we are not out a whole lot of money, and we can go back to Dish. I was just not real happy with Dish lately. They kept adding channels and cramming the bandwidth full of signals and cutting down the size that was allocated to each channel. BBC was getting real hard to watch lately.

roland

Kentstater72 said:

Am I wrong?

I went the ATSC PC card route and I'm very happy. But if you are not up to doing something like that, here is an alternative:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...LGLST3410A&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=342167
They don't have much info about the unit on that site but if you google the model number or go to LG's website at www.lge.com you can get more info. I believe it uses one of the free program guides that is currently available.
Steve

SteveC44312 said:
I went the ATSC PC card route and I'm very happy. But if you are not up to doing something like that, here is an alternative:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...LGLST3410A&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=342167
They don't have much info about the unit on that site but if you google the model number or go to LG's website at www.lge.com you can get more info. I believe it uses one of the free program guides that is currently available.
Steve
It may also be a good idea to check the AVSThread on the LST-3410A:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=337424

Kentstater72 said:

Am I wrong?
True there is no PG or HD DVR. But I didn't have an HD DVR before so I won't miss it. (besides I record stuff like Dora the Explorer and blues clues and Battlestar Galactica. so no loss)

However I do have a Windows Media Center PC that I can setup to use the their guide. Right now it only provides PG info for the VOOM Channels, not the OTA it can only do one or the other not the hybrid setup that VOOM uses.
Its not perfect but it will suffice. (Besides theres always the TV guide in the Sunday paper.. like back in the "olden days")

Well I'm hoping they make it and that they add a boat load of SD and HD programing options cause I for one still watch content over everything else and could care lesser if it's in HD or SD but do prefer HD. At the moment there is only so much filmed in HD, so many are fooling themselves just because it is broadcast on an HD channel they think it's HD. I want good shows at a good price bottom line and if Voom can do better in the future then I would go with them.

bruce said:
It might be lights out for you anyways if she starts watching Lifetime again, on that channel all men are either evil, drunks, drug addicts, abusers, cheaters or some of them or all of them together.
I look like the worlds most perfect man when the wife sees that could have married a man who beat her, held her in solitary confinement, had affairs with her sister, mother and brother, terrorized her, controller her every waking moment, and finally killed her. Yep, it usually lights out...but in a very good way! :yes

Right now, I can't decide what I would do. I'm leaning toward D*, but also thinking about cable. Comcast in Denver offers an HD DVR that you can lease, and some other attractive features.

You know what holds me back from cable? I like being a satelliteguy and can't bear the thought of being a cableguy. This last comment is 90% serious. Satelliteguys.us has turned into one of my hobbies.

The Stone Man said:
Right now, I can't decide what I would do. I'm leaning toward D*, but also thinking about cable. Comcast in Denver offers an HD DVR that you can lease, and some other attractive features.

You know what holds me back from cable? I like being a satelliteguy and can't bear the thought of being a cableguy. This last comment is 90% serious. Satelliteguys.us has turned into one of my hobbies.
You can always join http://www.cableguys.us. Check it out. It's real :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)