All Available HD Channels Information

bryan27

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
Walsingham, ON
There have been some questions as to what is available in HDTV that VOOM could carry. Here is everything currently available and if it currently carried by VOOM. I'll make changes to the list when channels appear. Since Encore-HD is ceasing transmission it doesn't appear on the list.

This information was obtained through current satellite charts.

HDTVChannels.gif

Question...how many international channels are broadcasting in HD? Perhaps this is where VOOM is looking to fill the differnet to get to 70 in the future. I know that several Canadian networks are now HD but they also carry US content that can't be re-broadcast in the US.

International channels would be broadcast in their respective formats (i.e.: Pal, SECAM, etc.) Horizontal resolution for formats other than NTSC are approximately 600. To convert PAL and SECAM would constitute aggressive processing that could produce PQ at present real-time processing. Many of the programs featured on Animation-HD are from country with formats other than NTSC. Their conversion is processed in multiple passes to render optimum quality 720p. Perhaps, in the very near future we may see an "on-the-fly" real-time high quality conversion. For an example of today's "on-the-fly" real-time conversion of PAL to NTSC SD see SkySPORT on Fox Sports World and you'll experience inferior PQ when it could be far superior to NTSC SD.

Well, for one, the SciFi Channel is in HD in Canada, but not in the US yet. That could be one that they are trying to get. I hope so. I know there has been talk of broadcasting it in HD here for a while now.

socalpanman said:
Thought I saw WGN HD. Big wide Cubbies.

We already get it locally here, and it is great to watch the Cubs in HD.
Still, just as many games are only broadcast on the RSN.

I dropped Dishnetwork at the end of the season last year, (I had them and Voom at the same time) thinking that Voom would have RSNs in at least some of the larger markets (like Chicago) by this baseball season.
(HINT, HINT).

Besides baseball, the Bulls have a good chance of making the playoffs for the first time since the Jordan days.........

-k

Ty2083 said:
Well, for one, the SciFi Channel is in HD in Canada, but not in the US yet. That could be one that they are trying to get. I hope so. I know there has been talk of broadcasting it in HD here for a while now.

Who has Sci-Fi HD in Canada? It wasn't on the satellite charts and the restriction of importing Sci-Fi into Canada is still in effect. Neither ExpressVu or Star Chioce have Sci-Fi nor Sci-Fi HD. Canada has it's own version of the Sci-Fi Channel called Space where many of the Sci-Fi Originals are located.

gutter said:
Question...how many international channels are broadcasting in HD? Perhaps this is where VOOM is looking to fill the differnet to get to 70 in the future. I know that several Canadian networks are now HD but they also carry US content that can't be re-broadcast in the US.

The only HD channels in Canada that are not broadcast networks is The Sports Network, Rogers Sport Net (from Rogers Cable) and the 2 Canadian movie channels. All 4 of those channels wouldn't be permitted to be distributed in the US nor would HDTV from Global, CTV, & CITY be permitted to be imported. The only thing remotely HDTV I have found in other countries is NHK World which transmits an EDTV Widescreen format.

socalpanman said:
Thought I saw WGN HD. Big wide Cubbies.

WGN-HD is only available over the air or from ExpressVu in Canada. ExpressVu carries the local Chicago WB station and not the US Cable version.

Hustler HD you left out

Hustler Hd is also a Canadian channel transmittins on Rogers CAble in Toronto, and other Canadia cities. It is Larry Flynt's content, all his famous series, Campus Confessions etc. How come Voom doesn't go the ADult HD route. Adult drives sales, drove the internet to its success. Voom could carve out that nice.

Outdoor Channel 2 HD

My understanding right now the the Outdoor Channel 2 HD is available only on C Band and not officially on the air yet. As a longtime viewer of the Outdoor Channel I know that It was always available free on my BUD until this last December when they shut off the analog transmission a year after they announced it would be going all digital MPEG 2 FTA. It is still FTA SD I haven't tried to pick up the HD feed with my BUD receiver but the last I heard they were filming all new shows in HD to start the new season this summer. This would probably be one of the best of the HD channels to become available to Voom, E*, or D to add to their lineup.

calikarim said:
Hustler Hd is also a Canadian channel transmittins on Rogers CAble in Toronto, and other Canadia cities. It is Larry Flynt's content, all his famous series, Campus Confessions etc. How come Voom doesn't go the ADult HD route. Adult drives sales, drove the internet to its success. Voom could carve out that nice.
Good Idea:. but do you think 46000+ would subcribe? or just a few?

bradley said:
For an example of today's "on-the-fly" real-time conversion of PAL to NTSC SD see SkySPORT on Fox Sports World and you'll experience inferior PQ when it could be far superior to NTSC SD.

Thanks for that explanation, I wondered why that channel had the worst PQ of all - just horrible.

bryan27 said:
There have been some questions as to what is available in HDTV that VOOM could carry. Here is everything currently available and if it currently carried by VOOM. I'll make changes to the list when channels appear. Since Encore-HD is ceasing transmission it doesn't appear on the list.

This information was obtained through current satellite charts.

HDTVChannels.gif

Oh my, i love my NFL network, but we could be watching it in HD....Lets get with it Voom... :shocked :clap :bow

INHD & INHD2 were reportedly offered to VOOM so they are not only available to cable companies. VOOM was not willing to meet some minimum subscriber number so INHD wanted more money to cover their costs so they could not come to an agreement. VOOM filed a lawsuit.

If VOOM's subscriber numbers are really increasing or if the NEWVOOM is confident that their subscriber numbers are going to increase or if VOOM gets a decision on their lawsuit then I would expect we will see INHD.

jnardone said:
INHD & INHD2 were reportedly offered to VOOM so they are not only available to cable companies. VOOM was not willing to meet some minimum subscriber number so INHD wanted more money to cover their costs so they could not come to an agreement. VOOM filed a lawsuit.

If VOOM's subscriber numbers are really increasing or if the NEWVOOM is confident that their subscriber numbers are going to increase or if VOOM gets a decision on their lawsuit then I would expect we will see INHD.

How does one sue somone else for not selling you their service?

From the InHD website FAQ:

"What is InHD? - INHD is a 24/7 digital cable channel......"

Says it pretty clear.

jnardone, Interesting I hadn't heard that before. I wonder why it hasn't shown up on on D* or E* Perhaps INHD priced itself through the roof to keep itself cable only, which of course would be grounds for a lawasuit.

calikarim, since Hustler HD is only in Canada there are probably contracts keeping it out of US markets. I do agree the adult market is a big money maker. VOOM does carry Playboy Hot HD and Spice HD is available, but with 46,000+ subs carrying a ton of adult channels isn't going to be much help.

The list is only of US HD that is available. It is highly unlikely VOOM would get permission to carry any HD not from the US because of non-compete contracts with US program distributers.

cfarm said:
How does one sue somone else for not selling you their service?

From the InHD website FAQ:

"What is InHD? - INHD is a 24/7 digital cable channel......"

Says it pretty clear.

In the multi-channel marketplace program suppliers must make their channel available at a reasonable price to multi-channel providers if that channel is uplinked for distribution via satellite. If someone wanted to carry HDNews it would have to be made available at a reasonable price, same with the D* or E* Barker Channels (not that anyone would want to carry those).

The majority owners of iN DEMAND Networks(InHD) are Comcast iN DEMAND Holdings, Inc., Cox Communications, Inc. and Time Warner Entertainment.

Again, how is Voom or Rainbow going to sue those people? Essentially you would be trying to sue your cable competition for them not making your life easier. Probably won't get much sympathy in a court of law.

Voom wanted InHD, InHD said you can have it ( per FCC rules if it is transmitted via Satellite they have to offer it to DBS and Cable providers ) for something like over $3.00 per sub because of Voom's low sub numbers, Voom said no and wished InHD to report how much it charges each cable provider per sub, InHD said no ( and since it is owned by cable providers I would guess it is cheaper ) Voom then said we will sue to find out and that was the last we heard about it, there was a thread about this a few months ago, but that is the gist of it.

Now, I have InHD thru Comcast and I really like it, all the NBA-HD games are on it and this summer, something like around 100 Major Leauge Baseball games are going to be on this spring/summer and a lot of movies, music, nature stuff and IMAX movies are also on it.

There was also talk about Altitude, a Denver Sports station broadcasing in HD.
They were supposed to carry the Avalanch games. The Hockey lockout sort of put a stop to this. Dish Network had Altitude in SD, and they had an ad on there saying it was going to be available in HD soon. I am not sure if this was just the local market in Denver, or if it would be possible for Voom to arrange to uplink the HD signal?

Altitude was going to carry some other Denver based sports programming. Denver Nuggets, and I think some of the Air Force Academy sports among other sports programming.

roland

cfarm said:
The majority owners of iN DEMAND Networks(InHD) are Comcast iN DEMAND Holdings, Inc., Cox Communications, Inc. and Time Warner Entertainment.

Again, how is Voom or Rainbow going to sue those people? Essentially you would be trying to sue your cable competition for them not making your life easier. Probably won't get much sympathy in a court of law.

Did you think I was lying or something? Why not just do a search on this board and you will find VOOM's press release from when they sued INHD and why. There was much discussion about whether INHD should be allowed to require VOOM to either provide a minimum number of subscribers or pay a higher per subscriber price. INHD wanted them too, VOOM didn't want to. Either way, INHD was willing to sell their programming to VOOM - VOOM just wasn't willing to pay. My OPINION is that if VOOM already had advertised INHD and INHD2 on their brochure (which they did when they first started and when I signed up) then they should have paid whatever the price to provide the service they promised.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)