70 HD Channels????

LunkHead

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Do not think they will. It will be more interested to see if they are still in operation after the end of march.

The original thought, given capacity, of course, was that a good chunk of the 70 would be RSNs that carry games in HD, plus a bunch of PPV-HD channels.

Now, of course, as Sean says, survival would be a good place to start...

Sean Mota said:
Do not think they will. It will be more interested to see if they are still in operation after the end of march.

I agree... I feel more comfortable about VOOM surviving with the new channels that were recently added and no DOOM news as yet.. With only 2 weeks to go I think they would give us a little notice if they were going to pull the plug...

Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for some more HD in the meantime! :)

I think first things first. VOOM gives mew meaning to the reality show "Survivor."

LunkHead said:
I agree... I feel more comfortable about VOOM surviving with the new channels that were recently added and no DOOM news as yet.. With only 2 weeks to go I think they would give us a little notice if they were going to pull the plug...
I second that… If voom was going to close operations by the end of the month, I think they would have made some kind of announcement by now.

The addition of all the new channels, the re-opening of the voom web sites, and the new promotion and installations, are all indications that voom is NOT doomed… IMHO

P.S. And let’s not forget the determination being exhibited by Charles Dolan to save voom? That alone has made a believer out of me. :D

It said they would have the capacity to add 70 hd channels by the end of march, it didnt say they were going to add 70 hd channels

cidbozek said:
It said they would have the capacity to add 70 hd channels by the end of march, it didnt say they were going to add 70 hd channels

Right...and VOOM just said their HD-DVR would be available in March but they didn't say to whom.

Actually VOOM never said it would be available in March, MOtorola said it. :)

Remember folks Rainbow 2 is sitting there and ready and waiting for the outcome of what happens with the company. If the company lives the hardware and uplink is in place to instantly light up with lots of new programming. :)

ALthough the problem is to get Rainbow 2 and Rainbow 1 you will need a new dish which is not available yet because of everything that is going on.

How can we expect such an expansion when their new state of the art satellite is going to be sold to Dish Network?

More Voom exclusives seems obvious. I look forward to them.

For newVoom, exclusives will be an integral part of their branding. Exclusives quickly provide the needed HD content and most of all insure that newVoom is THE- HD leader.

On April 1 I can't wait to walk into all the local retailers including Sears that have signs up about how either D or E are the number one provider of HD and without reservation just LOL and yell, "Voom lives!" :D :D :D

Stargazer said:
How can we expect such an expansion when their new state of the art satellite is going to be sold to Dish Network?
Because Voom can and has already uplinked to Rainbow-2 (AMC-6), and its capacity alone far exceeds Voom's current bird. A hardware rollout is ready and waiting if the company doesn't go under, which is still anybody's guess. :no

Scott Greczkowski said:

Remember folks Rainbow 2 is sitting there and ready and waiting for the outcome of what happens with the company. If the company lives the hardware and uplink is in place to instantly light up with lots of new programming. :)

ALthough the problem is to get Rainbow 2 and Rainbow 1 you will need a new dish which is not available yet because of everything that is going on.
But Voom had said that a DVR will be Available by last June 2004..

Scott Greczkowski said:

Technically you may be right, but didn't this spokesperson say this from the VOOM booth with VOOM VPs all around? In looking at the CES 2005 posts, I couldn't find where you indicated it was Motorola guy at that time. Instead the mods here were clearly indicating it was coming directly from VOOM.
Seems misleading now.

Scott Greczkowski said:

by the same token, d* could claim they have 1500HD b/c they have a sat ready for launch.

by the same token, Verizon could claim they have HDTV service b/c they laid down some fiber.

but that's all b.s. isn't it?

we were led to believe v* would have the capacity for 70HD AND the customers would have the capacity to receive them. (whether there would be 70 channels available was another story.)

we were led to believe we would have DVR by end of March. I knew it wasn't going to happen considering they hadn't even figured out how they were going to network the thing back in January. They KNEW they weren't going to deliver. They b.s'ed us.

of course now I'm sure they're going to backpedal and say they never promised any such thing. But I don't remember you or Sean discouraging people from these rosy predictions.

if Voom fails, don't blame the market for not being ready. Blame Voom for not being ready to deliver.

Something new to post about

Voom can only inform it's customer base what it is told by Motorola, Voom is not producing the dvr's, it is only marketing them. How about if we all write to Voom Corproate and demand that they issue the DVR's whether they are ready or not. You think the 550's are bad, wait until you get a DVR with the same problems and more. Personally, I think the wait would be worth it if the new DVR works the way it is suppose to. It will probably take all of ten minutes for everyone to forget the problems of the last year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)