Do you listen to AM Radio???

Do you listen to AM Radio?

• Never...What is AM radio?

Votes: 18 14.4%
  • A little bit...maybe for a local sports team or a talk show

Votes: 55 44.0%
  • A fair amount...Radio is on AM more than FM

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • All the time...You mean there is options other than AM??

Votes: 19 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Good Fifties Music

If you are looking for some good Fifties Music try streaming this Atlantic City, NJ AM station, listened to it today in the car on 1340 AM. :up

Classic Oldies WMID

mikelib

Excellent read! I've always been a gadget, and have my fair-share of the cool new toys, but I've never, ever understood why anyone would pay good money on satellite radio when there is still so much outstanding local radio as mentioned. Sure, the industry is a little battered and bruised, but I was hoping HD would do for radio what it did for broadcast television. Well, there is still hope.

Not so much. I worked in AM radio for many years but the old gray mare, she ain't what she used to be. I listen first to Sirius XM, then internet radio streams (some of which are AM) but rarely do I actually listen to the AM band on a car or portable radio. The quality where I live is beyond awful and the programming is just as bad.

Oh yes! Long before I got into FTA, I was an avid DXer. When I lived in Atlanta, GA for awhile I would listen to WWL 870 out of New Orleons when the old overnight "Roadgang" Show would air. It was an all-night trucking show featuring classic country music and comedy. The DJ would announce, by CB handle, where truckers were at and how far from home they were to their spouses and children who would listen at home. Before the days of the internet and cellphones it was a unique approach to "staying in touch" with loved ones. I also became an avid fan of 1950s Rock and Roll during my DXing years listeneing to "oldies" formats on such clear-channel giants as WLS 890 Chicago, WOWO 1190 Fort Wayne, WOGL 1210 Philledelphia, WHAS 840 Louisville, and another all-night truckers show out of Dallas/Fort Worth, the Midnight Cowboy on WBAP 820. The DJs from The "Midnight Cowboy," and "The Roadgang," can now be heard on Sirius XM Radio on the Truckers Channel and they hold true to their original AM formats that made them unique back in those days. Now the dial is full of News, Talk, and Weirdoes, e.g. "Coast To Coast AM." I will always remember how those old Doo Wop records used to sound through the AM static. It was almost magical. It was easy to imagine sitting in a 1957 Chevrolet Convertible in the warm midnight air listening to those tunes on the "Wonderbar" Radio those cars had. I will never forget those nights. Now it's internet and FTA for me.

Up until recently I only listened to AM talk in my car and had not switched over to FM for years, except to use an FM transmitter hooked up to my mp3 player. The 2 AM stations I listened to changed formats (one to local, WWL and the other to ESPN Radio, WWWL both out of New Orleans.). Since I'm in Pascagoula, MS WWWL's news has little interest to me and WWWL doesn't run the one sport I listen to (NASCAR), I only listen to one show on either now, "The Food Show" with Tom Fitzmorris. It runs 4-7 Monday-Friday on WWWL and he does a Saturday show on WWL from Noon-3 (Central Time). If I'm not in my car, I stream him. It's my one MUST hear part of show every day. You can stream him here: WWWL 1350AM or at his page The New Orleans Menu By Tom Fitzmorris

Since then, a local FM and another out of Mobile AL switched to talk (conservative, syndicated) as well as a local formerly gospel AM that now does a live morning show, then syndicates MS related conservative programming. There is no music radio receivable here I am interested in so when I'm in my car I hear Hannity, Schnitt, Rush, and Savage and if early enough, the local guys. At home I stream Stephanie Miller, Thom Hartmann and Randi Rhodes. I get to hear the whole spectrum :)

I haven't taken music with me in the car for awhile. I do most of my music listening on the computer plugged into my entertainment center.

I too was an avid DXer. By the time my last receiver died I was too busy with Big Dish, then the internets to replace it :)

Long Live AM Radio

The only radio station I find useful in my SF Bay Area is KCBS 740AM. They broadcast news, traffic reports and no rap music. The station is stong in any environment over 100 miles away in all directions. FM stations fade and wane when travelling from pocket to pocket and rarely provide real time information such as traffic reports. The tropospheric back-scatter radiation technique employed by Wolfman Jack's XERB and Voice of America boosts the AM radio transmission range multifold. While amplitude modulation is an inefficient mode of transmitting data, the broadcast frequency used for the AM band offers advantages.

I missed the poll somwhow. i used to dx am all the time late at night to get coast to coast. i tried a sony(several) then i got a ge super III radio that was doing pretty well pulling ny stations. then fta came and i went from dxing one thing to another. i will have to pull the ge out to see what is still up there. i regret never getting a ccradio but it was that or fta equip. am radio lost the decission:)

Only during Mets and Giants games IF I'm not in my car with access to my XM Radio (I have Best of Sirius so I get football as well). Otherwise, I never listen to commercial radio (emphasis on the commercial..... 20+ minutes an hour is a bit much)

A little bit, when I happen to be out at nite, I listen to WSM or WHO. The local stations cut power or change their main lobe to never never land. El_Viejo.

FM in this region is monopolized by clear-c, So if you like Repetitivity, there ya go.
Perfect if you want to remain blind to what could actually have an impact on your life or lifestyle.
hxxp://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Repetitivity

I remember listening to WOWO out of Fort Wayne, IN growing up in central NY, was fun DXing at night.

Only listen to talk radio on AM now, during the work drive and sometimes at work. Try tuning in to WBT (1110am), the 6-9pm guy gets calls from all over (FL to DE).

Alot. I have even gone to lengths to be able to hear AM stations. No "Touch" lamps in the house because they emit interference. I had a custom antenna made for my car that is the correct wave length (Well not the actual length because it would be way to long, but correctly cut for the size) I grounded the radio and antenna myself because grounding issues are usually why reception is bad for AM.
I have a passive antenna booster for listening at home from CCrane..... I listen not only to local stations but enjoy getting the distant ones. In the past from Ct. I could get some of the Caribbean stations.
so, ya, I listen to AM...lol

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)