Dodgers duo having banner seasons

Clayton Kershaw ejected after hitting Arizona's Gerardo Parra

<snip>

Kershaw was working on a one-hit shutout in the sixth inning Wednesday night when he hit Parra with a pitch on the right elbow and was immediately ejected by Welke.

The pitch was certainly inside enough to hit Parra, but hardly appeared like Kershaw was intentionally trying to hit him. But then again, I doubt it upset his teammates a whole lot.

After angrily yapping at Parra from the dugout Tuesday and seeming to say something about tonight, Kershaw was operating on very thin ice. And hitting Parra qualified as cracking it, or at least it did in Welke’s eyes. No warning had been issued.

Of course, traditional baseball types will be aghast that players and teams are not allowed to police themselves at least a little.

Mattingly was so irate over the immediate ejection that he lost his temper and was also tossed. It was his third ejection as manager, but this may have been Mattingly at his most irate.

Kerhaw was leading 2-0 in the top of the sixth when Parra led off. Parra has doubled in the third, the only hit Kershaw allowed.

In his five-plus innings, Kershaw struck out five and did not walk a batter. If the ejection ends up carrying a suspension, too, that could negatively affect his Cy Young hopes.

Clayton Kershaw ejected after hitting Arizona's Gerardo Parra - latimes.com

-----------------------------------------

If anyone should be suspended, it should be the ump

Kershaw

#1 - ERA: 2.30
#1 - Wins: 9
#1 - K's: 236
#1 - BA: .207
#1 - WHIP: 0.98
#2 - IP: 218.2 (Would be #1 if he wasn't kicked out of the game)

Shouldn't the guy win the Cy Young that leads the league in every single starting pitching category?

Kershaw

#1 - ERA: 2.30
#1 - Wins: 9
#1 - K's: 236
#1 - BA: .207
#1 - WHIP: 0.98
#2 - IP: 218.2 (Would be #1 if he wasn't kicked out of the game)

Shouldn't the guy win the Cy Young that leads the league in every single starting pitching category?

The ERA is close. He leads Cueto by .01

cosmo_kramer said:
He's not up against Verlander for the award, different leagues.

Again, my point in bringing up JV was that Kershaw does have other pitchers "close to matching him in ALL categories". Verlander does not.

The NL race will most likely be very close, not a slam dunk like the OP seems to think...

I understand they are not in the same leagues, as I mentioned previously, only reason I put them together is someone before me did, so I continued with it.
That said, I agree, they both should win the award.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

It never fails to see the bias from the Bay Area.

The incident was a carryover from Tuesday night's game in which Parra momentarily stood at the plate to admire his solo homer off reliever Hong-Chih Kuo that tied the game in the seventh.

It was? They write this as if they know for certain
[/COLOR][/LEFT]

Dodger, I was watching the Vin Scully broadcast last night, and the pregame with Steve Lyons. Kershaw/Parra was a huge discussion before the game, and when Parra came up to bat.

Here is what happened, according to the Dodger telecast, accompanied by video highlights. On Tuesday night Parra squared to bunt, and Kuo buzzed him inside, very close to his head. No idea what the intent was, but the ball did come very close to Parra's head.

Parra walked around, visibly angry, but went back into the batter's box. Later in that bat Parra hit a home run, stood at the plate longer than long, stared down Kuo while he rounded the bases slowly, and did some hand gestures and said something to the catcher when he finally got to home plate. Parra did his best Carlos Guillen impersonation.

You could read the Dodger catcher's lips, yelling back to Parra 'you're better than that'. Words were exchanged between the teams, and you could see Kershaw yelling to Parra from the bench, 'wait till tomorrow, you'll find out', while Kershaw was pointing to the pitcher's mound. Of course, Kershaw was he Dodger starter 'tomorrow'.

There was much discussion in the pregame regarding whether Kershaw would hit Parra. When Parra came up for the first time, Scully said we'll now find out about Kershaw's growth and maturity, meaning we'll see if Kershaw hits Parra, or pitches to him like a professional. Scully's words, not mine.

No incident in the first at bat, and I thought it was over. I was going back and forth between that game and the Yankee game, so I didn't see Parra get hit.

But nobody is surprised Parra was hit, and when I turned back and saw Lindholm warming up, people could not be surprised Kershaw was ejected after he threatened Parra the night before.

I am not choosing sides...Parra acted like a punk, and perhaps Kershaw did what he thought he should do...or perhaps a pitch got away from him. Either way, after you threaten a player and then hit him, umps are going to think it's pre-meditated.

Sandra

I understand they are not in the same leagues, as I mentioned previously, only reason I put them together is someone before me did, so I continued with it.
That said, I agree, they both should win the award.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

I first mentioned JV, contrasting the NL vs. AL CY race, but you're the only one who compared his numbers to Kershaw....

Dodger, I was watching the Vin Scully broadcast last night, and the pregame with Steve Lyons. Kershaw/Parra was a huge discussion before the game, and when Parra came up to bat.

Here is what happened, according to the Dodger telecast, accompanied by video highlights. On Tuesday night Parra squared to bunt, and Kuo buzzed him inside, very close to his head. No idea what the intent was, but the ball did come very close to Parra's head.

Parra walked around, visibly angry, but went back into the batter's box. Later in that bat Parra hit a home run, stood at the plate longer than long, stared down Kuo while he rounded the bases slowly, and did some hand gestures and said something to the catcher when he finally got to home plate. Parra did his best Carlos Guillen impersonation.

You could read the Dodger catcher's lips, yelling back to Parra 'you're better than that'. Words were exchanged between the teams, and you could see Kershaw yelling to Parra from the bench, 'wait till tomorrow, you'll find out', while Kershaw was pointing to the pitcher's mound. Of course, Kershaw was he Dodger starter 'tomorrow'.

There was much discussion in the pregame regarding whether Kershaw would hit Parra. When Parra came up for the first time, Scully said we'll now find out about Kershaw's growth and maturity, meaning we'll see if Kershaw hits Parra, or pitches to him like a professional. Scully's words, not mine.

No incident in the first at bat, and I thought it was over. I was going back and forth between that game and the Yankee game, so I didn't see Parra get hit.

But nobody is surprised Parra was hit, and when I turned back and saw Lindholm warming up, people could not be surprised Kershaw was ejected after he threatened Parra the night before.

I am not choosing sides...Parra acted like a punk, and perhaps Kershaw did what he thought he should do...or perhaps a pitch got away from him. Either way, after you threaten a player and then hit him, umps are going to think it's pre-meditated.

Sandra
Listen to the DBacks broadcast. They were more shocked than anyone that Kershaw was ejected.

Lindblom was not warming up. Scully even made a point during the argument that now the Dodgers have to hurry and get someone up

Let's say for argument sake that it was intentional. This is where the old school in me comes into play. I say let the players handle it on the field. The reason why there are more fights now is because of ejections.

If you look at the video, you can see he is hanging over the plat and the ball was not that far inside.

Listen to the DBacks broadcast. They were more shooked than anyone that Kershaw was ejected.

Lindblom was not warming up. Scully even made a point during the argument that now the Dodgers have to hurry and get someone up

LOL it would look pretty riduculous if the Dodgers were warming someone up in the sixth inning of a Kershaw shutout. The Dodgers cannot assume Kershaw is going to hit Parra. Perhaps Kershaw didn't know Kershaw was going to hit Parra.

But when you threaten a person and then hit him, an ejection cannot be a shock.

Sandra

Let's say for argument sake that it was intentional. This is where the old school in me comes into play. I say let the players handle it on the field. The reason why there are more fights now is because of ejections.

If you look at the video, you can see he is hanging over the plat and the ball was not that far inside.

I understand that point of view, but it's a completely different argument than your other point...that everyone was shocked and Kershaw should not have been ejected, because it was purely unintentional.

It can't be intentional AND unintentional.

Sandra

LOL it would look pretty riduculous if the Dodgers were warming someone up in the sixthy inning of a Kershaw shutout. The Dodgers cannot assume Kershaw is going to hit Parra. Perhaps Kershaw didn't know Kershaw was going to hit Parra.

But when you threaten a person and then hit him, an ejection cannot be a shock.

Sandra
True

I remember Verlander doing the same about a month ago. He was even pointing to his side telling Ayabar that he will get one in the ribs.

I think Kershaw's threat was more like, I will dominate you and you will not even be able to hit a HR off of me. Even so, let the guy pitch and issue a warning first

True

I remember Verlander doing the same about a month ago. He was even pointing to his side telling Ayabar that he will get one in the ribs

I think that stemmed from the Carlos Guillen home run, when Weaver hit someone after that. Guillen acted like a jerk, but Weaver was still rightfully ejected.

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts