Dodgers duo having banner seasons

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
Matt Kemp (NL MVP) and Clayton Kershaw (NL Cy Young) in running for major awards

The question should now read, "Can a .500-caliber team overcome a series of embarrassments, ownership upheaval and waning fan interest to produce the MVP and Cy Young winner in the same season?''

The candidates' names are Matt Kemp and Clayton Kershaw, and they've done an impressive job surmounting the chaos and bringing their "A'' games to the park from Opening Day through Labor Day. Their efforts haven't been enough to keep Frank and Jamie McCourt out of the news entirely. But hey, any contribution toward that goal is a step in the right direction.
I think they can and they should. There is no doubt that Kershaw is the best pitcher in the NL this year and Kemp is the best offensive player this year. Despite the team's woes, they should be rewarded for their great play

He has been more dominate in every start all year for a losing team.

Look at where he ranks in each category

ERA - 1
Wins -2 now (will be 1 after tonight)
K's - 1
IP - 1
WHIP - 2

Nobody comes close to matching him in ALL categories.

Where do you think Kemp stands? Should the team's record be a consideration in MVP?

I think that because they are on the same team, they will cancel each other out for MVP.

Kershaw- NL Cy Young? Absolutely

Kemp- NL MVP? Sorry, but my opinion is no.

If the award were NL "Player of the Year", then yes, Kemp should win it. But the award is "MVP", which to me means extracting a player off a team and where would they be. Where would the Dodgers be without Kemp? a worse team for sure, but still out of the playoffs.

That's why my vote for BOTH AL MVP and CY goes to Verlander. The Tigers would not have been a playoff team without him.

Last edited:
After his CG shutout this afternoon, Halladay has moved into first in at least two of the above categories you listed. So there are pitchers who are "close to matching him in ALL categories". That's my point.

Could he win it?? Sure. It's just not as clear cut as the AL race, that's for sure....

cosmo_kramer said:
After his CG shutout this afternoon, Halladay has moved into first in at least two of the above categories you listed. So there are pitchers who are "close to matching him in ALL categories". That's my point.

Could he win it?? Sure. It's just not as clear cut as the AL race, that's for sure....

I agree and though the award is for this year, don't think that his history will not come into play for the Cy Young voting.

Hey guys,
JV will win his share ... remember there is a CY and an MVP for BOTH leagues ...
Yes, Kershaw has been great, but why compare him to Verlander, they can BOTH win the Cy young award, they are in different leagues.

It's amazing how close the two pitchers are, with one MAJOR exception, Verlander has won 5 more games, while they have started pretty much the same number 31 vs 32.

GP GS IP Hits R ER BB SO W L SV HLD WHIP ERA
1 Johnny Cueto CIN 24 24 156.0 123 51 40 47 104 9 5 0 0 0 1.09 2.31
2 Clayton Kershaw LAD 31 31 216.0 164 63 56 51 232 18 5 0 0 0 1.00 2.33
3 Roy Halladay PHI 30 30 219.2 198 61 57 30 211 18 5 0 0 0 1.04 2.34
4 Justin Verlander DET 32 32 236.0 163 68 62 53 238 23 5 0 0 0 0.92 2.36
5 Jered Weaver LAA 31 31 221.1 170 60 59 55 188 17 7 0 0 0 1.02 2.40
6 Cliff Lee PHI 29 29 210.2 176 60 57 42 211 16 7 0 0 0 1.03 2.44
7 Josh Beckett BOS 27 27 173.2 125 50 48 46 155 12 5 0 0 0 0.98 2.49
8 Tim Lincecum SF 31 31 205.0 160 67 59 81 212 13 12 0 0 0 1.18 2.59
9 Ryan Vogelsong SF 27 25 162.1 147 56 48 56 124 10 7 0 0 0 1.25 2.66
10 James Shields TB 30 30 226.1 176 73 68 57 210 15 10 0 0 0 1.03 2.70

Well, after carefully putting the figures in place, they formatting went and screwed up

cosmo_kramer said:

For now. Wait until tonight is over. Kershaw put up these numbers with a much worse team, less run support.

That was also Halladay's FIRST shout of the season

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
For now. Wait until tonight is over. Kershaw put up these numbers with a much worse team, less run support

For the first 2/3rds of the season you could say Detroit was no better than LA .... they could get no hit or shut out any day of the week, the offense stunk in the first half.

Now an ump may have just ruined Kershaws Cy Young chances.

Kershaws hits a batter in the 6th while throwing a 1 hit shutout and no one on base. The ump immediately tosses him. One of the worst calls I have ever seen in my life

The pitch was almost a strike anyway

I am pissed beyond believe. Everyone in the entire world knows that was not intentional, except that lame arse home plate ump

No warnings before either. Even the DBack announcers are saying this was totally wrong on the ump's part

Also shows why Mattingly is a better manager than Torre. I can assure you Torre would not have gotten tossed defending Kershaw in one of the worst calls ever made by an ump

Not anymore.

Now you can add another #1 to Kershaw. He now leads the league in wins as well

It should have been a complete game shutout, but the ump cut his outing down to 5 innings.

Now an ump may have just ruined Kershaws Cy Young chances.

Kershaws hits a batter in the 6th while throwing a 1 hit shutout and no one on base. The ump immediately tosses him. One of the worst calls I have ever seen in my life

The pitch was almost a strike anyway

What happened to the First time is a warning ?

I doubt that getting tossed once this year will have ANY effect on the Cy Young voting.

He's still 4 wins behind Verlander, with equal starts.

He's not up against Verlander for the award, different leagues.

Again, my point in bringing up JV was that Kershaw does have other pitchers "close to matching him in ALL categories". Verlander does not.

The NL race will most likely be very close, not a slam dunk like the OP seems to think...

The race for MVP is closer too. If Votto gets hot he could win it again.

What happened to the First time is a warning ?

I doubt that getting tossed once this year will have ANY effect on the Cy Young voting.
No warnings given at all.

He was hit in the elbow by a ball that was only a few inches inside