Does 722 S-Video output HD signal to tv?

OK, Is this an adequate summary?:

Yellow RCA Video Out, and S-Video are generally not capable of being HD signal conduits. Old technology.

HDMI, Component, DVI, and IEEE 1394 (Firewire) are all viable HD signal conduits. Length of cables vs. wire guage and, in the case of Firewire, balanced pairity are critical factors for adequate performance. So cable choices do matter.

As it pertains to our ViP722, the only HD interconnect options available now are HDMI and Component. Since there is no DVI Out on the 722, it's not applicable. And, although there is a IEEE 1394 (Firewire) port on the back, it is either not enabled as or not even hardwired as an inteconnect to tv for HD signals.

I can distribute 1080 HD to two tvs using HDMI and Comonent outputs.
Or I can split either HDMI or Component to distribute HD at full 1080 to more than two tvs, which requires and active disribution device to amplify/stabilize the signals.

Otherwise, I can distribute HD content in it's downrezzed form along with regular SD through Yellow RCA Video Out, S-Video Out or through the agile modulation coax Home Distribution Ch 21-69 Out.

Did I miss anything?

OK, Is this an adequate summary?:

Yellow RCA Video Out, and S-Video are generally not capable of being HD signal conduits. Old technology.

HDMI, Component, DVI, and IEEE 1394 (Firewire) are all viable HD signal conduits. Length of cables vs. wire guage and, in the case of Firewire, balanced pairity are critical factors for adequate performance. So cable choices do matter.

As it pertains to our ViP722, the only HD interconnect options available now are HDMI and Component. Since there is no DVI Out on the 722, it's not applicable. And, although there is a IEEE 1394 (Firewire) port on the back, it is either not enabled as or not even hardwired as an inteconnect to tv for HD signals.

I can distribute 1080 HD to two tvs using HDMI and Comonent outputs.
Or I can split either HDMI or Component to distribute HD at full 1080 to more than two tvs, which requires and active disribution device to amplify/stabilize the signals.

Otherwise, I can distribute HD content in it's downrezzed form along with regular SD through Yellow RCA Video Out, S-Video Out or through the agile modulation coax Home Distribution Ch 21-69 Out.

Did I miss anything?

Drop the word "generally" in your second sentence.

Cable choice is not that critical. But online from known vendors. Do not pay for Monster. Good stuff, way overpriced.

I don't believe there is a firewire port on the ViP722. I believe the last one was on the 921.

Splitting HDMI can be hit or miss due to the handshaking. Some have successfully done it. Many have failed. Browse the appropriate threads for more info. Keep in mind 720 is also HD.

"Otherwise" bit is quite correct.

Drop the word "generally" in your second sentence.

"generally" is there to emphasize that this applies to all equipment, not just 722. Or did I get that wrong? Are there instances where these do transmit HD signals?

Cable choice is not that critical. But online from known vendors. Do not pay for Monster. Good stuff, way overpriced.

I was just acknowledging that you don't want to use 28AWG for a 50ft HDMI cable run or RG59 for a 50ft Component cable run for instance. You might get away with it now, but how future-proof is it. Personally I find Monoprice to be a good value for cables. I'm not a fan of $200 majic cables.

I don't believe there is a firewire port on the ViP722. I believe the last one was on the 921.

Oops. That's an Ethernet port I saw back there.

Keep in mind 720 is also HD.

Yeah, but while I'm investing in stuff now, I'd like it to be compatible with the evolving technology as best I can. So if it only costs a little more to future-proof I'll make the investment.

Dish is NOT planning on doing this, rather it is possibly being forced on them by content providers. They do NOT want to limit the output and will only do it if they are required to.

Geoff

So our Component Out can be limited remotely?

So our Component Out can be limited remotely?
The software that controls output on the component out can be programmed so that if a certain flag is set, the resolution will be reduced to 480p, just like on HDDVD and Bluray. The movie studios are worried that you are going to copy their HD content and cut into their profits. As far as I know HBO and maybe another channel are the only ones pushing this so far.

Even if I employ my best negotiating skills, I don't think dish is going to give me three HD DVRs. Even if they did I, I'm not really excited about the additional monthly fees associated with them. And one of the major reasons for distributing from one DVR receiver is to have access to all of the features and recorded content where ever I am in the house. I want a consolidated, economical solution for DVR enabled HD tv programming throughout the house. And I'm quite capable of running the appropriate cables to do it. I realize there is the expense of cable to consider, and that's why we're having this discussion about what are the most viable and, relatively, future-proof connection options.
This thread is about making the most of one receiver's abilities. Specifically the ViP722.

...but if someone is just itching to take this thread off-course, then tell me a cheap and practical way to to give Remote1 the UHF transmission capabilities of Remote2. That would very well comlpiment the distribution of TV1's output to other rooms.

The software that controls output on the component out can be programmed so that if a certain flag is set, the resolution will be reduced to 480p, just like on HDDVD and Bluray. The movie studios are worried that you are going to copy their HD content and cut into their profits. As far as I know HBO and maybe another channel are the only ones pushing this so far.

That's great.:mad:
We law-abiding legitimate patrons have to suffer the consequences of the cheaters actions.

It doesn't do 480p? I thought it did, but I could be wrong...

Only thing S-Video does differently than composite is separate the black and white "colors" from RGB. Only way to get progressive scan is with HDMI, DVI, or component cables, so composite and S-Video are only capable of interlaced scanning.

...but if someone is just itching to take this thread off-course, then tell me a cheap and practical way to to give Remote1 the UHF transmission capabilities of Remote2. That would very well comlpiment the distribution of TV1's output to other rooms.
If you have ever gotten a remote replacement kit from Dish or ebay, the remotes are both the same but have a different color chip on the bottom. That chip moves a switch in the remote to change it from IR to UHF. Either you need to get a green chip with a 1 on it from a replacement kit, or pull the chip off and move the switch manually and mod the chip to leave it that way. There are threads of details on it here in the forum.

Only thing S-Video does differently than composite is separate the black and white "colors" from RGB. Only way to get progressive scan is with HDMI, DVI, or component cables, so composite and S-Video are only capable of interlaced scanning.

Thanks. More good info.
So:
Composite & S-Video are good up to 480i

Component, DVI, & HDMI are good up to 1080p
(although DVI doesn't apply in this situation given 722's lack of DVI output)

Right?

If you have ever gotten a remote replacement kit from Dish or ebay, the remotes are both the same but have a different color chip on the bottom. That chip moves a switch in the remote to change it from IR to UHF. Either you need to get a green chip with a 1 on it from a replacement kit, or pull the chip off and move the switch manually and mod the chip to leave it that way. There are threads of details on it here in the forum.

Cool. I'll do some searching to find those threads.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts