Does a HD-DVR Count as Two Receivers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jyafink

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
My plan was to get two HD-DVRs and two regular non-DVR receivers when I signed up but somebody told me a DVR counts as two receivers and therefore I could only have two per dish. Is that true? What do I do if I want to follow my plan? Do I need two dishes? If so, does it cost more to install two dishes and/or do I have to pay more monthly programming fees? I know many of you must have more than two televisions and I've never seen a house with more than one dish so please let me know. Thanks.

What the CSR meant is that the DVR has two tuners and that they both must be connected to the dish to be able to record two programs at once. Thus, they take up two of the four outputs on the dish. However, if you need more than the four outputs found on most DirecTV dishes (other than the basic round dish), you can have a multiswitch installed. That will expand your number of available outputs from the dish from four to eight, sixteen or even 32 (though not if you have a Ka/Ku dish-there are no 32 output wide band multiswitches.)

What an insanely stupid rule. By that logic if I had Dish I'd have 5 receivers.

Just like many of the other stupid rules and fees they have. by the way jyafink you could also purchase a swm lnb on ebay pretty cheap and you'll only need one line to your dvr's so your dual tuner function works.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)