Does AirTV (not AirTV Player) have DVR support?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
If it doesn't, I'll just get HDHomeRun even though I've heard that the video artifacts on it are bad.

This item available at Walmart has DVR capabilities. You can use a USB flash drive or EHD to record

Have not tried it personally, but looks promising

DA6DAE3B-0661-4A4D-9C68-E0D87CE0E982.png

View attachment 134871
Now please answer my question. Does the AirTV have DVR support?

Your attachment states that you can stream over your LAN. Not outside your local network. You will not be able to watch video from an HD Homerun device away from home without a Slingbox. Period.

And I don’t know the answer to your question, but being rude and demanding also won’t get you very far on this site. Please be polite.

Your attachment states that you can stream over your LAN. Not outside your local network. You will not be able to watch video from an HD Homerun device away from home without a Slingbox. Period.

And I don’t know the answer to your question, but being rude and demanding also won’t get you very far on this site. Please be polite.
Oh, it's over LAN, okay. Sorry, I'm just having a bad day today.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Oh, it's over LAN, okay. Sorry, I'm just having a bad day today.

I don't think very many people (at least here on site) have an Airtv device, so you might have to wait a while to get your question answered. OR you could post over at Avsforum.com, which has far more posts for devices of that sort. AirTV networked OTA tuner - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

That site is also a "must signup" site and visit frequently, IMO. Very good advice from members over there.

Be very wary of devices of this sort when they are fairly brand new. The companies that put this stuff out, typically very much put them on the market way before all the bugs are worked out, and then buyers become guinea-pigs to waiting for firmware fixes. For instance, the present Channel Master company are MASTERS at pulling things like that with their dvr type devices, and spending several years before even 90% of the bugs are worked out. At which point they pull the plug on support, and leave everybody hanging. Then they put a new device on the market, and catch the suckers all over again.

Airtv- a sling product does not currently have support for a DVR.

I’m thinking that is something that they will roll out if this thing ever takes off.

I like the concept- but I already have a HDHomeRun Quattro up and running as a long term cut the cord road test.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I think it unlikely that the AirTV will ever include DVR support. That's what the AirTV Player is for.

It is best to tell us specifically what you're trying to accomplish rather than asking whether some piece of hardware will get you part way.

As an example, if your goal was to accomplish out-of-home viewing, then ask which devices support it directly.

If your goal is to do unattended recordings by time and channel or program name (the primary, if not unique thing that DVRs do), then say that.

My reasoning goes down in flames.

The problem (as with most standalone tuners) then becomes trying to find a suitable 50GB to 1TB USB hard drive or stick (Cord Cutter News assumes that is the range).

The AirTV can transcode OTA to something a Roku can digest which represents a big value versus an HDHomerun (the Extend lists for $179.99).

I have been using it for a few months now, and never had any issues with any drives I threw at it.

If I remember correctly the minimum size was 50 GB, max size 1 TB.

Never have purchased any that small though.
Hence my reservations about the utility of a device that you can't find a reasonably fresh drive to use it with.

I occasionally see ads for 1TB drives but a lot of them are refurbs or of questionable origin since they perhaps haven't been manufactured for quite a while.

The jury is out on whether thumb drives are suitable as the foundation of a DVR in the long term and SSDs are probably not suitable without confirmed operating system support.

Hence my reservations about the utility of a device that you can't find a reasonably fresh drive to use it with.

I occasionally see ads for 1TB drives but a lot of them are refurbs or of questionable origin since they perhaps haven't been manufactured for quite a while.

I have a Western Digital 2 TB EHD which was refurbished by the manufacturer. Using it with my Dish equipment. Cost me less than $40 and works like a champ. Walmart sells reasonably priced HDD's and I'm willing to bet even the least experienced consumer could figure out how to operate it.

almart sells reasonably priced HDD's and I'm willing to bet even the least experienced consumer could figure out how to operate it.
The smallest winchester drive that my local Walmart sells is a 3GB portable. The same goes for Target. Best buy lists two 1TB portable drives on their website but my store doesn't stock them. Costco's smallest is a 3TB portable (their website advertises a 2TB slim). I occasionally see 2TB drives being blown out at Newegg.

Adding a self-powered USB hub to insure sufficient power is probably a good idea for the portable drives adding a little more complexity (rat's nest of wires and wall warts) to the setup.

The smallest winchester drive that my local Walmart sells is a 3GB portable. The same goes for Target. Best buy lists two 1TB portable drives on their website but my store doesn't stock them. Costco's smallest is a 3TB portable (their website advertises a 2TB slim). I occasionally see 2TB drives being blown out at Newegg.

Adding a self-powered USB hub to insure sufficient power is probably a good idea for the portable drives adding a little more complexity (rat's nest of wires and wall warts) to the setup.

Personally, I use standard bare 3.5 inch desktop SATA drives, in powered docking bases such as the BlacX types. I use these for my various FTA satellite receivers, my WDTV's, and for various backup drives that can sit in a drawer until needed.

Once you have one of these docking bases, you can insert/use/remove any 3.5 or 2.5 inch SATA drive at will. Many people have a bunch of these drives laying around of all sorts of various capacities, and/or they can be bought for a good price if you look around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)