does AM21 add tuners?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dbean

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
USA
HR34 does not have OTA support without AM21, correct?

HR35 has 5 sat tuners, correct?

Say you add an AM21 to the HR34, do you now have 7 tuners?

thanks.

You have seven, but only 5 are accessible at any one time.

I would have put it slightly differently. You still have five tuners, but any two of them can be used for OTA. The AM21 off-air tuners are "add on" electronics that each use a regular tuner to operate.

You have seven, but only 5 are accessible at any one time.

bummer, -1 for dtv

is there a monthly charge for using AM21?
the only reason I can see it necessary is if:
1. you don't want to pay for dtv locals
2. dtv locals aren't available for your area

no charge for a AM21 other than the $50 up front cost

and no it does not add tuners. Its still 5 max
0 OTA 5 SAT
1 OTA 4 SAT
2 OTA 3 SAT

max

thanks iceberg. With my current dish vip722, it's nice to have OTA and dvr all of wifes network drama shows on it; then I have 2 free sat tuners, so in this case, the dish net ota does add tuners; bummer dtv isn't the same.

since a dtv sub. seems to get "free" locals, I really can't justify an AM21

somebody, please give me a reason to power up my shiny new winegard antenna in the attic!

bummer, -1 for dtv

is there a monthly charge for using AM21?
the only reason I can see it necessary is if:
1. you don't want to pay for dtv locals
2. dtv locals aren't available for your area

Two other reasons.
1. There are a few locals that are not in DirecTV's locals offering for your area.
2. You want to use OTA as a backup when there are storms in your area and you are losing satellite reception.

Also in some areas the picture quality OTA is noticeably better than the DirecTV locals.

I'll give you 2 reasons

1. if you have decent subchannels in your market. Here in Minneapolis we have ThisTV, MeTV, AntennaTV, Country Network and BounceTV. None are on Directv....but can view and record them on my HR34/AM21 setup
2. If you're close to a 2nd market of locals. When I lived in my house I had a 2nd CBS & Fox 70 miles away that I'd watch for the news and the locally produced shows

thanks everyone, I have my answers.
I've spent thousands designing the IT/data/comm layout of our new house and I'd hate to not use a portion of it!

not to hijack this topic, but is there website to tell you what channels a AM21 give you each city?

thanks iceberg. With my current dish vip722, it's nice to have OTA and dvr all of wifes network drama shows on it; then I have 2 free sat tuners, so in this case, the dish net ota does add tuners; bummer dtv isn't the same.

since a dtv sub. seems to get "free" locals, I really can't justify an AM21

somebody, please give me a reason to power up my shiny new winegard antenna in the attic!

WEATHER !

Here's another one - if your new HR34 ever decides to crap out, & the only other receivers you have are the C31 thin clients on the other TV's, you have lost ALL TV in your house. Assuming your TV's have ATSC tuners, at least then you can watch live, local TV stations, while you're waiting for a replacement sat receiver... ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts