Does an antenna need to connect to all 3 satellites? Or is 2 out of 3 sufficient?

sealrock

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 28, 2023
San Francisco
Does anyone know if an antenna needs to connect to all 3 satellites, or is 2 out of 3 sufficient? In the process of setting up (portable) antenna and so far have connected to 2, but maybe not all 3. Thanks.

It all depends on which arc you are trying to tune. Western Arc (WA) has three satellites with the great majority of HD channels on 129 but 110 and 119 being the major networks. Eastern arc (EA) has all its channels on two satellites at 61.5 and 72.7.

Sounds like you are trying for WA so to receive all the channels you are subscribed to you need all three.

It all depends on which arc you are trying to tune. Western Arc (WA) has three satellites with the great majority of HD channels on 129 but 110 and 119 being the major networks. Eastern arc (EA) has all its channels on two satellites at 61.5 and 72.7.

Sounds like you are trying for WA so to receive all the channels you are subscribed to you need all three.
Ok, thanks very much for the response. I got to the part of setup where it said it had connected to I think 110 and 119, then it went to a different screen which I'm stuck on until I call them to activate. So not sure if it found all three or what. Guess I will have to see - thanks again!

You can connect to a single satellite and the system will work fine.
But, you will only receive the channels transmitted from that satellite.
I think the full 9-day guide is only available on one of them. Of course I don't remember which one! If you have only a single sat, you just get a day or so appropriate to a non-DVR. The software updates may only be available from one satellite as well.

You’ll be fine without 129, you just won’t have much for HD channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk