Does anyone actually order Pay Per Views?

Order PPV that do not expire and archive them to hard drive

I occassionally order DISH HD PPV movies. I will only order movies that do not expire. I then store them on my external hard drive. When my grandkids visit, they have a huge selection of movies to watch. For example, some of the more popular movies I have archived are:

1) The Chronicles of Narnia Prince Caspian
2) Chronicles of Narnia - Lion Witch, and Wardrobe
3) Journey to the Center of the Earth
4) Bee Movie
5) Horton Hears a Who
6) Transformers
7) Ratatouille
8) Ice Age: The Meltdown

Several of those are not PPV but are premium channels.

I find that it is much easier to play a movie from my DISH archive to entertain my grandsons.

Although, I can rent a DVD for $1.07 from the Hardware store in Marysville, it is 25 miles and it must be returned the next day. I have also rented DVD's and had trouble playing them due to scratches from previous renters.

I will not rent a PPV which has limited viewing since my main reason for renting is to have a library that I can use with my grandsons.

Why is everyone griping about the expiration on a PPV? If you don't have time to watch something, why pay for it, then get mad when you can't watch it the next day? Lets look @ what PPV is... Pay Per View.... hmmmm.... pay each time you watch it... not purchase and keep for a year..... By definition, Dish is cutting us a break by having ALL DAY PPV, if it's a 2 hour movie, you can watch it 12 times back to back & only pay for one viewing. If you go to a theater, it's way, way, way, way, way more than the highest price PPV, but you can't go back the next day w/ a ticket stub & expect to be allowed to watch it again...

I just cant wrap my head around people getting mad because they pay to watch something one time, thinking they can keep it forever...

Because it hasn't always been that way. It's only recently that limits have been imposed on something that has been archivable since day one. It's not that hard to grasp. A limitation has been placed on something that has never been there before.

The last time I ordered a PPV their wasn't any HDTV. I wait for the DVDs to save money I am looking into Netflix.

Nope - Never
Price is too high - I prefer to spend the money on Premiums - Can wait a couple of months for them to get there - Can collect my favorites on the DVR.

on occasion yes. To me it's not a cost issue it's a spur of the moment thing.

Nothing on regular channels i care about, nothing in my archives that really interests me, but want to watch something.

Cant plan far enough ahead for net flix, cant stand the people eating at the movie theater.

Some other people cant just decide to go out, "need a sitter etc" so what do they do, rent
a ppv, easy done and instant viewing.

I will watch it and trash it, so the 24 hour thing is a non-issue - Seems like a good model to me.

I've been with Dish for several years and I have an HD projector with a 108" screen and I watch my fair share of movies, but I have never rented PPV or On-Demand from Dish. I would not pay any more than $3 to rent something over my receiver. And once you start getting to $5 and above, you're not too far from the price to OWN the movie if you bought it used.

And even at $3 a pop, the 24-hour limitation would still be a deal-breaker. Now that I have two young children, getting through a movie can sometimes require several sittings.

I do, however, like the IDEA of renting movies from my DVR. The convenience factor is very high. If Dish would lower the price to $3.00 (so as to be competitive against rental stores) and loosen up the time restraints (72 hours would seem reasonable), and then heavily promote the service, I think they could make much more money from their rental service.

Like the previous poster, I find HBO to be an excellent value for movies. I'm currently taking advantage of the 3 months of HBO/Starz, and I have a 1TB drive with almost 140 movies. I still have about 1/3 of the space free on the drive. Once my free HBO/Starz promo ends, I'll just start watching the movies from the external drive. That should keep me busy for quite a while. For the occasional must-see, I can always stop at Blockbuster and pickup the Blu-Ray.

This is how I am. I have a projector with 106" screen so 2" smaller than yours. I like the idea of renting movies through the DVR but I'm not paying $5 for 24 hours. If I rent it for $4 something at Blockbuster I get it for a week or two or however long it is. If I rent it from Redbox for $5 I could keep it 5 days or if I keep it 24 hours like on Dish it only costs me $1.

At $5 for SD stuff which I don't really want to watch anyway so $7-8 or whatever for HD I'm not far from buying the movie used and I keep it forever. Heck most new movies you can buy for $15 or so the week they come out and keep forever.

Going to the movies costs about the same as an HD on Demand from Dish for me. Oh yeah, except, the theater has a $10k sound system and a freakin 40ft. screen! That may be worth it to some people.

I agree I have a 106" screen so it's not small a long with a fairly nice sound system but I have nothing on the movies. I'd rather watch one at home as I like it as I can pause it and don't have cell phones ringing and going off unless it's mine. The only time I go to the movies is when I want to see something and don't want to wait for it on DVD. However, if it costs me the same thing to order it on Dish as it does to go to the movies I'd rather go see it on the 40' screen and the superior sound system.

I watch one or two PPV movies each month. I don't mind paying it and I don't have to subscribe to anything. I would like Netflix, but there are some months were I don't PPV anything. It is a nice service to have and I am glad to have more HD selection. If you don't use it, don't gripe about it. You should spend more time trying to get more national HD or trying to get OTA guide data.

Just trying to point out how many people don't use it because of the price. If they had it lower to compete with video rental kiosks or something like that they would probably make a ton more money as many people would actually use it.

This is how I am. I have a projector with 106" screen so 2" smaller than yours. I like the idea of renting movies through the DVR but I'm not paying $5 for 24 hours. If I rent it for $4 something at Blockbuster I get it for a week or two or however long it is. If I rent it from Redbox for $5 I could keep it 5 days or if I keep it 24 hours like on Dish it only costs me $1.

At $5 for SD stuff which I don't really want to watch anyway so $7-8 or whatever for HD I'm not far from buying the movie used and I keep it forever. Heck most new movies you can buy for $15 or so the week they come out and keep forever.

I found that if you buy a 24 hour movie and then transfer it to the external hard drive , you can keep the movie as long as you like. I have right now Mama Mia in HD , The Mummy in HD, "W "and some even older movies on my external hard drive still.

Last edited:
Just trying to point out how many people don't use it because of the price. If they had it lower to compete with video rental kiosks or something like that they would probably make a ton more money as many people would actually use it.

I agree with your assessment of the price. DISH has the HIGHEST pay per view prices in the industry. Not good when you are trying to appeal to the public as the low cost leader in pay tv.

But do you really have 2 DVDs a week that you want to watch? I sure don't. At best I want to watch two current movies a month.

Many of the DVDs I rent are of TV shows that I never got a chance to watch like pretty much every Stargate episode. I didnt have SciFi for a long time and I still have 3 seasons of DVDs to go. On average its half movies half TV episodes.

I have never seen Lost either but the first season is somewhere on my Netflix list. Missed 3 or 4 seasons of 24 as well at the time and those were some of the first rentals I got. I know all of those shows are on several channels in one form or another but they are always with commercials and the quality is hit and miss. And then again I would never watch a show like Sex and the City or the Sopranos on regular cable. So getting them all via Netflix is worth it.

As for current movies... I saw W last night. I think the last actual current movie I saw was Wall-E a couple weeks ago (waited forever for it). In between it was kind of a mix. Otherwise, even if I only did 1 DVD a week it is still cheaper with 4 rentals for $10 compared to 2 PPV.

Because it hasn't always been that way. It's only recently that limits have been imposed on something that has been archivable since day one. It's not that hard to grasp. A limitation has been placed on something that has never been there before.

Ummm, actually, no, it's not "has never been there before"... the DBS companies started doing this. Back in the day w/ my C-Band dish, if you got a PPV (TheaterVisioN), you watched it 'cause when it was over, there was just enough time to watch the trailer one more time & the signal was turned back off...

sometimes, I meet a special girl who lets me lay in bed while she's at work...then I order pay per view...DirecTV should have a partnership with Dominoes so I can order the 5 5 5 deal on-screen, too..

Ummm, actually, no, it's not "has never been there before"... the DBS companies started doing this. Back in the day w/ my C-Band dish, if you got a PPV (TheaterVisioN), you watched it 'cause when it was over, there was just enough time to watch the trailer one more time & the signal was turned back off...

That's not exactly what I'm talking about. There has never been a widespread prevention of archiving as regards PPV. You had the occasional title infected with Craprovision, but they didn't do that much because most people had their cable fed through their VCRs and this scheme often interfered with viewing. For as long as people have been able to save programs to tape or DVRs, they have been able to archive PPV. This is something recent.

Agreed. I won't do PPV because of the high price.Dish should use the WalMart business model. Sell 1 for a $100 profit sell 100 for$1. It works for them it would probably benefit Dish. Just my .02

BB468

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)