Does anyone actually order Pay Per Views?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hometheaterman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
I wanted to see a movie that hadn't been out long so I checked and sure enough it was on Pay Per View. That's when I see the High Definition version is $6.99 and the On Demand HD version is $7.99. I then check and the SD version is still $4.99. Does anyone pay these ridiculous prices for a movie? Sure it's nice to be able to watch it without leaving your house but I can go to Blockbuster (which is very expensive by the way) and rent the DVD for under $5 and keep it a week. I also get DVD quality which while not HD quality is quite a bit better than Dish's SD version that is $4.99.

Blockbuster imo is a rip off with the invention of things like Red Box that lets you rent movies for $1 as long as you take it back the next day. That's how long your pay per view is rented for unless you record it and I'm not sure how long that lasts. It said it was limited or something. So basically why am I going to sit here and pay $5 for a crappy quality sd movie when I can rent it from Red Box for $1 and have better quality. Or in the rare instance they don't have it I can go to Blockbuster and get it slightly cheaper and once again have better quality?

Does anyone else think Dish needs a price adjustment on these movies? Does anyone actually order them on these things? I can't say I know anyone that purposely does. I've got one friend who ordered one by accident and didn't watch it but had several show up on her bill. I think it might have been her grand kids messing around or something. That's the only person I know of even ordering them.

When they hit 4.99 for SD is when I quit, I thought 3.99 was high when I could run to red box for a buck(since I'm in town anyway we won't count gas money). However when they hit 4.99 I thought they have got to be out of there mind.

Certificates

I have ordered a few since I have a pile of certificates, even though the certificates don't quite cover an HD movie. Would never do it otherwise.

Can't even remember why I have those certificates. Dish sent them, for some reason.

I wanted to see a movie that hadn't been out long so I checked and sure enough it was on Pay Per View. That's when I see the High Definition version is $6.99 and the On Demand HD version is $7.99. I then check and the SD version is still $4.99. Does anyone pay these ridiculous prices for a movie? Sure it's nice to be able to watch it without leaving your house but I can go to Blockbuster (which is very expensive by the way) and rent the DVD for under $5 and keep it a week. I also get DVD quality which while not HD quality is quite a bit better than Dish's SD version that is $4.99.

Blockbuster imo is a rip off with the invention of things like Red Box that lets you rent movies for $1 as long as you take it back the next day. That's how long your pay per view is rented for unless you record it and I'm not sure how long that lasts. It said it was limited or something. So basically why am I going to sit here and pay $5 for a crappy quality sd movie when I can rent it from Red Box for $1 and have better quality. Or in the rare instance they don't have it I can go to Blockbuster and get it slightly cheaper and once again have better quality?

Does anyone else think Dish needs a price adjustment on these movies? Does anyone actually order them on these things? I can't say I know anyone that purposely does. I've got one friend who ordered one by accident and didn't watch it but had several show up on her bill. I think it might have been her grand kids messing around or something. That's the only person I know of even ordering them.
Rent from Red Box..
I have had Dish for 11 years. We have ordered a grand total of ONE PPV movie.
5 bucks is a ridiculous amount of money. IMHO.

Agree that the prices are too high. I will sometimes order just because I'm already home and don't want to go back out. I think that $5 for the HD version (however it is delivered - PPV or VOD) would be the right price with the SD version a buck cheaper...

The last PPV I ordered was before the stink a while back when they announced that recorded PPV would expire.

If it wasn't compelling enough to go see it in the theatrical release, I can wait a while longer.

Have not and will not. I pay $10 for a one-at-a-time Netflix account. When timed right thats 2 DVDs a week. So for the price of 2 SD PPV I can get 10 DVDs. With that kind of price difference I just cant understand how PPV even survives.

But do you really have 2 DVDs a week that you want to watch? I sure don't. At best I want to watch two current movies a month.

I only order the ones that aren't sabotaged with the "limited recording" scam. I've never ordered a 24 hr PPV. I've ordered a couple of DishOnline movies, but those have always been 24 hr rentals.

Yeah, both DishOnline movies and the "on demand" movies are only available for 24 hours from when you start them.

I've been with Dish for several years and I have an HD projector with a 108" screen and I watch my fair share of movies, but I have never rented PPV or On-Demand from Dish. I would not pay any more than $3 to rent something over my receiver. And once you start getting to $5 and above, you're not too far from the price to OWN the movie if you bought it used.

And even at $3 a pop, the 24-hour limitation would still be a deal-breaker. Now that I have two young children, getting through a movie can sometimes require several sittings.

I do, however, like the IDEA of renting movies from my DVR. The convenience factor is very high. If Dish would lower the price to $3.00 (so as to be competitive against rental stores) and loosen up the time restraints (72 hours would seem reasonable), and then heavily promote the service, I think they could make much more money from their rental service.

Like the previous poster, I find HBO to be an excellent value for movies. I'm currently taking advantage of the 3 months of HBO/Starz, and I have a 1TB drive with almost 140 movies. I still have about 1/3 of the space free on the drive. Once my free HBO/Starz promo ends, I'll just start watching the movies from the external drive. That should keep me busy for quite a while. For the occasional must-see, I can always stop at Blockbuster and pickup the Blu-Ray.

Pay per view is a ripoff. And so are the Premium Movie Channels like HBO etc. . Let's face it. I know people at work that get movies from Red Box. Make copies of them for the price of the rental and a disc and own the movie for about $1.25 . That includes the price of a dvd-r. At least when you buy a movie or blu ray like I do now you can sell it if you need the cash. Can't do that with a pay per view movie.

Pay per view is a ripoff. And so are the Premium Movie Channels like HBO etc. . Let's face it. I know people at work that get movies from Red Box. Make copies of them for the price of the rental and a disc and own the movie for about $1.25 . That includes the price of a dvd-r. At least when you buy a movie or blu ray like I do now you can sell it if you need the cash. Can't do that with a pay per view movie.

Bragging about copyright infringement is not cool. You can burn a PPV movie to DVD-R as well. However, this is about the cost of rentals vs. the costs of PPV.

Redbox/MovieCube/etc. flipped everything on its ear even more so than Netflix IMHO. I know a lot of people that hate the Netflix model but love Redbox. I used to order a lot of adult PPV's before I went HD. However, all the adult stuff is SD now. That SD just looks awful on big screen HDTV. So, I either have to go to Bush/Sugar DVD (Netflix for adult) or get 4 Blu-Ray movies for two days for $12.99 (or less) at various adult rental places around town.

Mainstream PPV? I rarely order it as I hate the non-OAR open matte format they usually display.

Internet downloading? Seriously? That crap is unwatchable on a 32" display. I am surprised anyone with any field of vision mentioned that.

Dish PPV would be a lot better if it were day and date w/ the DVD. Usually the movie hits PPV only a month or so before it hits HBO, Showtime, Starz. By then, what's the point?

We've never watched a single PPV movie. The price as compared to other ways, (Netflix & Streaming Netflix) is just too out of line. If a movie in HD was $2.00 we might watch several a week, and if many people did it, Dish would surely rake in lots of money they don't get now.

Is it possible the movie distributors require too much per viewing to allow better prices on PPV?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)