Does anyone actually order Pay Per Views?

Bragging about copyright infringement is not cool. You can burn a PPV movie to DVD-R as well. However, this is about the cost of rentals vs. the costs of PPV.

Redbox/MovieCube/etc. flipped everything on its ear even more so than Netflix IMHO. I know a lot of people that hate the Netflix model but love Redbox. I used to order a lot of adult PPV's before I went HD. However, all the adult stuff is SD now. That SD just looks awful on big screen HDTV. So, I either have to go to Bush/Sugar DVD (Netflix for adult) or get 4 Blu-Ray movies for two days for $12.99 (or less) at various adult rental places around town.

Mainstream PPV? I rarely order it as I hate the non-OAR open matte format they usually display.

Internet downloading? Seriously? That crap is unwatchable on a 32" display. I am surprised anyone with any field of vision mentioned that.

Dish PPV would be a lot better if it were day and date w/ the DVD. Usually the movie hits PPV only a month or so before it hits HBO, Showtime, Starz. By then, what's the point?

Ignoring that people do it is not smart business. The fact is they do and Movie Companies know it. I'm not bragging about it. I only purchase blu ray disc .But facts are facts. The idea that movie companies pay for encryption on dvds that is defeated with no problem shows you how screwed up it is.

We've never watched a single PPV movie. The price as compared to other ways, (Netflix & Streaming Netflix) is just too out of line. If a movie in HD was $2.00 we might watch several a week, and if many people did it, Dish would surely rake in lots of money they don't get now.

Is it possible the movie distributors require too much per viewing to allow better prices on PPV?

I doubt it? How can Netflix for a $9 a month account, give you one movie a week and live streaming of many others for basically the cost of one and half ppv on Dish?? I have two free movie certificates that I haven't even thought of using yet.

Bragging about copyright infringement is not cool. You can burn a PPV movie to DVD-R as well. However, this is about the cost of rentals vs. the costs of PPV.

Redbox/MovieCube/etc. flipped everything on its ear even more so than Netflix IMHO. I know a lot of people that hate the Netflix model but love Redbox. I used to order a lot of adult PPV's before I went HD. However, all the adult stuff is SD now. That SD just looks awful on big screen HDTV. So, I either have to go to Bush/Sugar DVD (Netflix for adult) or get 4 Blu-Ray movies for two days for $12.99 (or less) at various adult rental places around town.

Mainstream PPV? I rarely order it as I hate the non-OAR open matte format they usually display.

Internet downloading? Seriously? That crap is unwatchable on a 32" display. I am surprised anyone with any field of vision mentioned that.

Dish PPV would be a lot better if it were day and date w/ the DVD. Usually the movie hits PPV only a month or so before it hits HBO, Showtime, Starz. By then, what's the point?

But you can't ignore it. I compare it to if you could hack Directv . It would hurt Directv. The bottom line is that Movie Companies need to get an encryption that works. If I was paying a company to make it so my dvd couldn't be copied and saw it was I would be asking questions .

Why is everyone griping about the expiration on a PPV? If you don't have time to watch something, why pay for it, then get mad when you can't watch it the next day? Lets look @ what PPV is... Pay Per View.... hmmmm.... pay each time you watch it... not purchase and keep for a year..... By definition, Dish is cutting us a break by having ALL DAY PPV, if it's a 2 hour movie, you can watch it 12 times back to back & only pay for one viewing. If you go to a theater, it's way, way, way, way, way more than the highest price PPV, but you can't go back the next day w/ a ticket stub & expect to be allowed to watch it again...

I just cant wrap my head around people getting mad because they pay to watch something one time, thinking they can keep it forever...

Why is everyone griping about the expiration on a PPV? If you don't have time to watch something, why pay for it, then get mad when you can't watch it the next day? Lets look @ what PPV is... Pay Per View.... hmmmm.... pay each time you watch it... not purchase and keep for a year..... By definition, Dish is cutting us a break by having ALL DAY PPV, if it's a 2 hour movie, you can watch it 12 times back to back & only pay for one viewing. If you go to a theater, it's way, way, way, way, way more than the highest price PPV, but you can't go back the next day w/ a ticket stub & expect to be allowed to watch it again...

I just cant wrap my head around people getting mad because they pay to watch something one time, thinking they can keep it forever...
Going to the movies costs about the same as an HD on Demand from Dish for me. Oh yeah, except, the theater has a $10k sound system and a freakin 40ft. screen! That may be worth it to some people.

I rarely order PPV, but have done it when conditions are right:
1) I feel like staying in and don't want the hassle of going out to pickup a movie - especially if the title I'm most interested in seeing is not available at my local RedBox.
2) It's a movie I would like to copy to DVD (but I'm not so into it that I want to buy the whole boxed DVD with all the extras.)
The chance of my ordering also increases if it's being offered in Letterbox format (or HD) instead of the SD 4:3 cropped version.
Those conditions are seldom met, so I usually just record movies off of Encore HD or HD Net Movies, or I rent from RedBox. I've thought about joining NetFlix because of the depth of offerings that you don't get from PPV or local video stores, but I have so little time to watch movies that I'm not sure I would order enough Netflix films to make it worthwhile.

Going to the movies costs about the same as an HD on Demand from Dish for me. Oh yeah, except, the theater has a $10k sound system and a freakin 40ft. screen! That may be worth it to some people.

I hate going to the Movies. My home theater is better . Going to the movies includes the drive, looking for good seats, food. I wait and buy the movie. And the fact is that many are staying home and waiting for it to come to dvd or blu ray. I went and saw Iron Man . The blu ray experience is better.

I rarely order PPV, but have done it when conditions are right:
1) I feel like staying in and don't want the hassle of going out to pickup a movie - especially if the title I'm most interested in seeing is not available at my local RedBox.
2) It's a movie I would like to copy to DVD (but I'm not so into it that I want to buy the whole boxed DVD with all the extras.)
The chance of my ordering also increases if it's being offered in Letterbox format (or HD) instead of the SD 4:3 cropped version.
Those conditions are seldom met, so I usually just record movies off of Encore HD or HD Net Movies, or I rent from RedBox. I've thought about joining NetFlix because of the depth of offerings that you don't get from PPV or local video stores, but I have so little time to watch movies that I'm not sure I would order enough Netflix films to make it worthwhile.

Netflix will give you a free trial on their website. Check them out.

Our local news station did a story about man complaining about NETFLIX. It went something like he would return the movie the next day and they didn't send him a new one quick enough. He told the reporter he watched two movies a day. I was watching this with a coworker and we both thought the same thing. He's copying them .

Wouldnt they be more profitable if they were cheaper like maybe what Blockbuster charges? Then more people would actually order them even if they were only 24 hours. I would save $$$ in the long run cuz I cant seem to take my movies back in time. (late charges). I quit also when E went to 4.99. BTW it is a buck more if no phoneline.

Wouldnt they be more profitable if they were cheaper like maybe what Blockbuster charges? Then more people would actually order them even if they were only 24 hours. I would save $$$ in the long run cuz I cant seem to take my movies back in time. (late charges). I quit also when E went to 4.99. BTW it is a buck more if no phoneline.

:confused: Not if you have an ethernet line connected. Only $1 more if you call in right?

Red Box DVD, PS3, upconverted to 1080P 116" screen, Pause button, fridge full of cold beer. Screw $7 or $8 PPV's. Charlie already hits me for $115 a month.:mad::eek:

BB468

I have Pirates 1 and 2 on DVD and BluRay and picture quality is really close with PS3 :):cool:

I watch one or two PPV movies each month. I don't mind paying it and I don't have to subscribe to anything. I would like Netflix, but there are some months were I don't PPV anything. It is a nice service to have and I am glad to have more HD selection. If you don't use it, don't gripe about it. You should spend more time trying to get more national HD or trying to get OTA guide data.

I look at Pay Per View this way. It's not for movies, at least not for me. But, if they showed some kind of event that was pay per view and it was cheaper to stay home and pay for it I would . But me being so cheap I would invite all my friends over and split the cost.
I have one of the best "Man Caves" in my area so that's what we did last year during the NFL Season.

Remember when Pay Per View first started? So much hype . But it never really did take off like they thought it would. And I wonder what holds the record for the highest pay per view event ever? Someone told me it was a Howard Stern Special but I don't know if that's true.

I started a thread a couple of weeks ago about DishOnline. They charge $2 to rent television shows for 24hours that you can watch on the networks website for free. I don't understand single rentals at Blockbuster either. The cost of a Blockbuster rental or a 24hour Dish PPV is about 1/3 the cost of a DVD.

I use subscription services to rent movies. If I did not, I would buy movies that I really want to watch(very few), and I would ignore everything else.

I've bought several wwe ppvs for family, now we wait till the day after and download :D

Never ordered a PPV movie.

Ordered a Mike Tyson fight once back when he was champ.
That's funny. The last PPV I ordered is the one where Tyson bit Holyfield's ear. I figured okay, that's enough of that. That was an very expensive lesson. I used to really enjoy the matches but that time has past I guess.

I'd like to see PPV movies at $2.99 and in HD too. Seems like they'd sell more but what do I know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)