Does anyone else see this on OTA HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Volsfan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
While watching CBS HD via OTA (CSI and othe programs) there is a dropout about 2 or 3 times per episode. The picture & sound will go black for about 5 seconds.
Anyone else experiencing this? If so, is there a cure?
I am using zenith 520 and the samsung H10, I believe they both do it.
Thanks for your help.

what does you signal show during those drops?
have you called the affiliate? what is their output power?
i ask because i have seen none of this watching csi.

It sounds like you are hitting on what I have theorized. (word ? theorized??)
I believe it is the local network straining for juice or something to that affect. I am currently using the H10 recieve and I do not think I can get to the signal strength meter before the station comes back up.
Thanks for your reply.
If there are any more thoughts or ideas for me to solve this problem, please let me know.
Thanks!

I have had the same problem since I've been using my OTA antenna for local HD broadcasts and I am getting a great signal.. Approximately 95 percent give or take. Most of the time its just an audio drop but sometimes picture also.

It is my understanding that CBS here in Chicago, uses a lower VHF channel, (3) to be exact for their Digital HD broadcast... I have been told that the lower VHF channels are more susceptible to interference and they are harder to push. For example, if I run my microwave oven or simply flip a light switch on or off I lose audio for a second or two and sometimes even get pixelization. With the microwave running, I cant even watch the channel.. I currently live in a townhouse so I am assuming that whenever anyone else in the building uses anything electronic I get the same affect.

I notice the audio drop outs way more often while using the Digital 5.1 out to my stereo receiver. I am using a Hughes HTL-HD DirecTV receiver.

Hope this helps...

Luckily I also receive the New York CBS HD feed through DirecTV so I switch over to that when it gets bad...

Just got my new HD package last week and noticed this same "symptom" last night during the Oscars.
Every 15-20 mins I would experience a black-out (1-2 sec duration) with the screen and audio........or the screen would get totally pixelated for a sec.
Have not yet noticed this on the regular D* feed channels, just the D* supplied OTA.
This is D*'s product....I'm paying them....(I did not sign up to beta test). They should help with this as well as explain why it happens and then "credit" me for having a sub-par viewing experience.

How does one go about checking signal strength when this happens? Only way I can think of is to.........immediately hit the Tivo button and go into the menu for satellite set up!

This sounds like a problem with your local channel, not the stb
Yeh......Happened again last night.....watching American Idol on Fox HD here in LA/OC area......just went black......never came back this time.
I immediately went to the signal strength screen and was getting 91%.....performed the "test" and did all that.....
So.....if it is indeed the local channel.....who to yell at?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)