HD Upgrade with OTA antenna - which antenna did you get?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jl0810

Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
Just curious what antenna everyone got from D*?

I was wondering for the extra $40-50 buks, if I was going to get a p.o.s antenna, or a real antenna, like the square shooter

jl0810 said:
Just curious what antenna everyone got from D*?

I was wondering for the extra $40-50 buks, if I was going to get a p.o.s antenna, or a real antenna, like the square shooter
You will get what ever is appropriate for your part of the country. There is no one right answer for TV antennas. :)

they sent me the winegard sensar.. works great - I am about 20-25 miles outside of cincinnati - I sit high and clear compared to the towers, so that helps

jim

The Zenith Silver Sensor, about $20 at buy.com is a great antenna for stations in the 30 mile range.

It is listed as the Zenith ZHD-TV1 Digital Indoor HDTV Antenna, but is currently on backorder :( .

the zenith silver sensor works GREAT for me. I got mine at K's merchandise for $23.

Silver Sensor can do double duty?

My configuration is this: 2 TVs. 1 has a DirecTv Hughes NTSC receiver. The other will soon have a DirecTV HDTV box. Both are connected to the dish through a multiswitch. I understand that diplexers are needed at both receivers.

My questions is this: Can the Zenith Silver Sensor do double duty for my Local NTSC broadcast as well as the HDTV signals? I understand the most HD is in the UHF band and most of locals are VHF. But it's just an antenna and I am only 6 miles from the towers, so.... ???

Before I actually go and buy an antenna just to have it not work. I was wondering if there were any suggestions. My house is on the side of a hill built right into the side. The house was inserted by blasting out a little platform in the rock. Which leave a 30 foot rock face and the rest of the hill, about 40 feet from the house. The stations transmitters only range from 6-12 miles away. We can't get anything besides the ABC station with a regular pair of rabbit ears. Which is the closest station. The rock goes all the way covering the NE, N and NW sides of the house. Of course facing the transmitters. Not only that there is also a small airport between all of this. Do you think there are any indoor antennas that will work help? An outdoor antenna is not an option.

House in the Hill...

UHF is line of sight. If you are saying that there is a hill made of rock between your house and the transmitters, you will need an antenna that has line of sight to the transmitters. That means an outdoor antenna on a tower or something with a line of sight that crests that hill your described. Might be easier to have a satelite dish that faces south or cable.

I do have my locals through satellite. I can't afford to get cable as well just for the HD locals. Since DirecTV will only give us the east feed of CBS in HD. I would like to do something. I would put up an antenna myself. But that isn't an option on this house. I just might be out of luck. Even with the towers being close.

flyingsaucer-
The Silver Sensor is a UHF only antenna. It is great at locking in stations, but is very directional.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts