Does anyone know anything about this receiver?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

olliec420

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
Pensacola, FL
A friend gave this to me, he says he doesn't know where he got it. He was in the military, maybe from there although he said he didn't think so. Looks like its probably no good for anything but before it went in the dump thought I'd check.

Attachments

• IMG_1212.jpg
    IMG_1212.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_1213.jpg
    IMG_1213.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 358
Maybe it was a receiver used for AFN. I know you could get a tv setup over in Iraq as well as a satellite internet but i never had anything like it while i was over there. A quick look at various scientific atlanta satellite receivers say they work with fta, dvbs and mpeg2. One model i looked at claimed to do dvbs2/mpeg4 but what you have looks to be older so probably just does the latter.

A friend gave this to me, he says he doesn't know where he got it. He was in the military, maybe from there although he said he didn't think so. Looks like its probably no good for anything but before it went in the dump thought I'd check.
Doesn't like DISH equipment. It's possible it could be an over seas affiliate, but we don't have access to info on out of the country equipment.

For sure hook it up and see what you can figure out with it. Let us know what you find out.

I recently checked and according to their website AFN (Armed Forces Network) is using this:
Manufacturer: CISCOPart Number: 4028651050101AFRModel Number: D9865H

Carl

I asked my uncle last night as i know when he was deployed he had both tv and internet and he said that receiver was likely used for afn as it looked similar to what he had. I asked him if he still had the equipment and he said he sold it to another trooper that was staying in Iraq. I agree hook it up and see as it does appear it will work fta from what i have read.

Reactions: olliec420
It looks like a PowerVu D9234, used for reception of AFN TV.

It might still be authorized and you might be able to get AFN TV through it, if you can see the C-band satellite feed over the U.S. I think they were authorized for two year stretches and needed to be re-authorized to keep working. If that hasn't happened, it could work for a few minutes or hours until a satellite signal deauthorizes it.

You can find some details on tuning etc are here, although specific to a Koreasat feed:
http://myafn.dodmedia.osd.mil/satchange/PDFs/22 Apr15PowerVu9234.pdf

Military personal serving overseas have to pay for TV? That just not right.

AFN TV is free for military stationed overseas, but is not free to air. The broadcasters give their programming to AFN at no cost and need to ensure it remains only viewable by servicemen and women so it continues to have commercial value in foreign markets.

This has occasionally been a problem and is one reason why AFN TV is not available over the air in many countries. In the analog days it used to be, but was always broadcast in NTSC so military personal could use their state-side TVs. That usually meant you got a garbled, or at best a black and white picture, on local PAL TVs in Europe. In South Korea it was available for years in Seoul and in Okinawa, Japan, AFN broadcast on a U.S. channel that was not assigned to local TV broadcasting so Japanese TVs couldn't pick it up.

Some bases have cable TV with additional channels available for cost.

Here, for example, is Americable's channel line up for bases in Japan. AFN and local Japanese channels are free. Everything else, you need to pay for.

http://americablejapan.net/digital_tv.php

Reactions: stecle and N5XZS
Used to station in Panama Canal Zone when I was a young kid back in the early 1970's used to get analog rf ch. 8 those are the good old day's!:)

Now living in the 21's century It's totally new world nowadays sadly to say.:rolleyes:

I miss AFRTS service but sadly can't get C-Band due to stupid HOA crap I am only stuck on Ku-band FTA only....:(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)