Does anyone know anything about WildBlue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

joth386

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2003
I came across this website ( www.wildblue.com) and wondered if anyone on the boards knew anything about it. It seems to be a Ka sat based internet service. I live way on out in the country and have been pondering getting sat internet. This looks really cool.

I have heard that they were going to offer the service in 2004 at around $50. Dish Network is going to offer their own broadband service in 2005 for $40 (they actually said well under $40) and the customer will receive the hardware for free!

That would be cool. I have given up hope for dsl where i live. If Dish says 2005 do you think they really mean 2006/7?!!!! I will have to decide to take the chance and wait on Dish or go with what is available. Direcway and Starband just have not appealed to me not to mention the price.

Well I heard about this first here on the online forums then it was confirmed by the Dish Network Representatives in a meeting in Charleston about broadband being available in 2005 (although that could change at anytime). The satellite they are launching in 2004 is probably going to be the one they will use for the internet access. I believe they are going to use spotbeam technology for the broadband internet access.

Stargazer said:
Dish Network is going to offer their own broadband service in 2005 for $40 (they actually said well under $40) and the customer will receive the hardware for free!

Let see how long that gets delayed. It will be 2007 and $100 a month.

Late 4th Q and it's at least $100 with min 2yrs service agr and firstborn child.

Dish knows its a waste of time to start selling a product for equal or greater in price than their satellite competition and they also want to compete with broadband internet and make affordable broadband access to those in areas where it is not offered.

joth386 said:
I came across this website ( www.wildblue.com) and wondered if anyone on the boards knew anything about it. It seems to be a Ka sat based internet service. I live way on out in the country and have been pondering getting sat internet. This looks really cool.

Here is an update
http://thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1068765012006&call_pageid=968350072197&col=969048863851

Anik F2 construction is complete and ground testing is underway.

As to the original plan for WildBlue to launch it's own Ka satellite to 109.2 after F2 Ka is up and running - who knows. With Loral's financial troubles and Canada taking over the 109.2 C/Ku slots from Mexico recently; it would make more dollar sense to launch a C/Ku/ka satellite to 109.2 when demand requires - as opposed to multiple single band satellites.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)