Does anyone know if Nascar Hotpass will be back?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TARDIS

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Bangor, Maine
With the Budshootout at Daytona in just over two weeks, I had hoped that we would have learned what the status of Nascar Hotpass was going to be this year. Is it going to happen and if so in what shape or form? I'd did a search in the forums for it but did not find any helpful info. Can someone please help point me in the right direction?

why wouldnt they not show it? NASCAR has always been a package like Sunday Ticket football.

i didnt get a memo or a notice that Directv was cutting NASCAR hotpass.

find stonecold and ask him. he would be able to tell you for sure!

NASCAR Hotpass (the Pay Sports Package) was discontinued last year. They offered a watered down version for free, which actually was decent for free.

No word if they are doing something this year, but we can always hope so. :)

why wouldnt they not show it? NASCAR has always been a package like Sunday Ticket football.

i didnt get a memo or a notice that Directv was cutting NASCAR hotpass.

find stonecold and ask him. he would be able to tell you for sure!

Well two years ago you had to pay for it and each channel had two dedicated announcers but my understanding is that it did not make enough money to continue it so last year we still got it, but it was watered down, if you will, quite a bit. The announcers were gone, it went from 5 channels to 4, you couldn't listed to driver audio during commercial breaks anymore, which you could do when it was a pay subscription services, etc. I was wondering if a decision had been made to pull the plug. I really dig it and am just trying to find out what the plan is for it this year.

It was only a 3 year deal with D*
Thats over now.
The last year it was free, My guess it wasn't a big hit.
I love nascar, But the package was pointless to spend $80-100 on when you can watch every race for free already.

FWIW, the February DirecTV ACCESS mag has an ad saying NASCAR HotPass will be back on channels 796-799

i would say that more people GO to the races than to watch it on D*.

I believe that statement would be incorrect. Are you saying that approx less than 100,000 people (that attemdance number is higher at some tracks and lower at others) are all that watch the race on TV across the entire country? It seems that NASCAR would be in huge trouble if that were true.

For example last year 10.2 MILLION people watched the California Race 0n Feb 22.

The Phoenix race on March 16, 2009 was watched by 6 million

Here is my source of info: http://www.jayski.com/pages/tvratings2009.htm it also offers a rating comparision for the past 3 racing seasons/years.
I hope that it is helpful.

and SPEED. Don't forget that Speed airs the Gatorade Duels in February from Daytona and they air the All Star Race In May from Charolotte Motor Speeday (formally Lowes Motor Speedway-but I believe Lowes let their sponsorship lapse at the end of the last year)

I was going to list them, but decided not to because they don't do any once the season starts.
I believe they will continue to re air the past weekend's race during the week.

But your right, they handle a lot of NASCAR info , shows and of course the Twin 125's, which it use to be called, liked it much better then .....

Since Dale Sr.'s not there to win it EVERY year, they changed the name .... or was it something to do with Sponsorship ? :D

Last edited:
ah well i dont watch nascar. i watch baseball then movies then nascar if that was the last entertainment on tv.

im just saying for this point really for the OP... if nascar hotpass is no more, why not just watch it on regular showing like mentioned above, TNT, Fox, Espn and SPEED??

ah well i dont watch nascar. i watch baseball then movies then nascar if that was the last entertainment on tv.

im just saying for this point really for the OP... if nascar hotpass is no more, why not just watch it on regular showing like mentioned above, TNT, Fox, Espn and SPEED??

It's just a different way of watching the race when you can look at y our favorite racer and see what they are doing.

Some like it others don't .... it could be MUCH better by not having Commercials during the exclusive package.

For me, I prefer the regular broadcast.

Hotpass changed towards the end of the season for the better. When FOX & TNT had the brodcasts it would be the FOX or TNT feed & the on-board camera feed with the audio for FOX & The Driver at the same time, and when TV went to commercial Hotpass would as well but driver audio would be muted. When ESPN/ABC took over it was that way for 3 races. Then it was The On-Board camera feed and the Sprint Vision screen(the video screen shown to fans at track) with Driver Audio & the MRN or PRN Radio audio. When MRN/PRN went to commercial the track's announcer would take over and the driver audio stayed on. But every 45 minutes Hotpass would cut to 3 commercials(a direcTV one and 2 for the driver).

I hope they use the new format again with Radio instead of TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)