Does anyone know what this is and cause?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sonydude1966

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Attached is a picture of what is happening. This is on pause. The picture splits and goes back together in about 1/2 a second. It's a very quick stutter when watching live TV. This happens every 15 - 60 minutes on atleast two HD channels.

I've noticed this with two different receivers (HR22-100, H21-100) and on two different TV's. I have a 5LNB Slimline, non-SWM. Two cables going to my HR22 in the livingroom (Sony Bravia LCD), and one cable to my H21 in the bedroom (Panasonic Plasma).

I've got a service call set for Wednesday.

Attachments

• video stutter.jpg
    video stutter.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 370
I had that happen on one of my hd channels a couple of months ago. It only happened one time. Have you tried resetting your receiver? If not, do it through the menu, not the red reset button.

I had that happen on one of my hd channels a couple of months ago. It only happened one time. Have you tried resetting your receiver? If not, do it through the menu, not the red reset button.
Yes, reset everything numerous times through the menu button, red button, and even unplugging.

Sorry, I have no other ideas. Mine fixed itself.

Make sure he checks the electrical outlets for faulty grounds. Also do not get upset when he doesn't fix it. It doesn't seem like something that is install related unless something is whacked with alignment. But, then you would have issues on more than 1 or 2 channels. Which channels is it, maybe there is an issue with that particular broadcast.

What type of Surge Suppressor are you using and is the Rec plugged into it?
-- If it is plugged into it, does it still do it when directly in the wall outlet?
-- Is any Input from the TV to the Rec going through the Surge Suppressor or another component? If so, does it do it using a direct connection?

What else is similar between your 2 setups?

Make sure he checks the electrical outlets for faulty grounds. Also do not get upset when he doesn't fix it. It doesn't seem like something that is install related unless something is whacked with alignment. But, then you would have issues on more than 1 or 2 channels. Which channels is it, maybe there is an issue with that particular broadcast.

What type of Surge Suppressor are you using and is the Rec plugged into it?
-- If it is plugged into it, does it still do it when directly in the wall outlet?
-- Is any Input from the TV to the Rec going through the Surge Suppressor or another component? If so, does it do it using a direct connection?

What else is similar between your 2 setups?

I have a Belkin PureAV Home Theater Power Console PF30 (power surge protector/power cleaner) on both setups:

Level 4 Power Protection; 3245 Joules of Surge Protection; 8 Outlets
Phase 3 PureFilterTM Circuitry with Video, Audio and HiCurrentTM Filters

I thought you could have been on to something there. Unfortunately, after I plugged the rec directly into the wall socket, the same problem happened.

Nothing else is similar with the 2 recs, and are not going through anything else.

The channels that this happens on are 360 (FoxNews HD) and 290 (Disney HD). I haven't noticed it on any others, but of course do not watch every channel. Locals HD seem fine, as well as 244 (SciFi HD) and 284 (Science Channel HD). Showtime HD also doing fine.

After I tell the tech to check the grounds, perhaps I should see if he can get my numbers up on 99 and 103?

Currently:

(H21-100)
101 signals are in the 80's and 90's
110 in the 90's
119 in 80's and 90's
99(a) in the 70's and 80's
103(b) in the 70's and 80's

(HR22-100)
Same as above, except:
99(c) in the 70's and 80's
103(c) in the 70's and 80's

I assume the 99(a) and 103(b) on the H21, as opposed to the 99(c) and 103(c) on the HR22 are normal discrepancies? Is there a ground on this dish itself that he should check? Could it be a faulty LNB? Could the rain have caused a problem? It did rain heavily for a short time right around when I noticed this, but can't recall exactly.

Also, I have been getting the very occasional strobe like picture. It would go from picture to a blank screen back and forth in a strobe like effect. Noticed this the past few days a couple of times for 5-6 minutes each time. This morning my DW noticed something about "no signal" but didn't notice a number code that she remembers. It worked fine the rest of the day.

I am in Southern, CA 93023.

Thanks for your response. Very nice of you to share your knowledge.

The D guy just left. He said my signals were plenty strong and that the dish was hooked up correctly, and no grounding problem. He seems to think it's a cable issue. He said I could use some additional RG6 cables, and that some up in my attic were RG59 that should be replaced.

I couldn't get him to do it today. He said it would take too long for a service call, and that D would be calling back by tomorrow, and that I could set something up at that time. If they don't call me back, he gave me his number to call him directly tomorrow afternoon.

He explained that I was trying to pour 2 gallons into a 1 gallon container with my HD channels having the RG59 cables along the way.

I wonder how much this will cost me? The guy said it shouldn't be too much.??? Oh well, it's a 1970's house, time to renew some cables I think.

This makes sense to me about the cables, how about some of you experienced people? Sound right?

Thanks.

The D guy just left. He said my signals were plenty strong and that the dish was hooked up correctly, and no grounding problem. He seems to think it's a cable issue. He said I could use some additional RG6 cables, and that some up in my attic were RG59 that should be replaced.

I couldn't get him to do it today. He said it would take too long for a service call, and that D would be calling back by tomorrow, and that I could set something up at that time. If they don't call me back, he gave me his number to call him directly tomorrow afternoon.

He explained that I was trying to pour 2 gallons into a 1 gallon container with my HD channels having the RG59 cables along the way.

I wonder how much this will cost me? The guy said it shouldn't be too much.??? Oh well, it's a 1970's house, time to renew some cables I think.

This makes sense to me about the cables, how about some of you experienced people? Sound right?

Thanks.

RG59 can be an issue, although I have never heard of it causing a problem like yours. Replacing cable is pretty easy. Have you considered doing it yourself?

RG59 can be an issue, although I have never heard of it causing a problem like yours. Replacing cable is pretty easy. Have you considered doing it yourself?

Yes, I think I will look into doing it myself. Not a lot of disposable income lately. What issues have you heard about with RG59 cables?:hungry:

Questions & Help

What makes it different in resetting from the menu vs the red reset button? Also what is the difference from a HR22 and a HR21? I have an HR21 and on ocassion 2-3 times a month will get a searching for sat signal. The only way to get back programming is doing a soft reset via red button then waiting about 6 minutes for everything to download. It happened this past sunday right at the end of the Denver/Atlanta game so guess what I missed the ending!

I looked up in the attic and 2 of the white (RG6) cables seem to go directly to my HR22 from the dish. The one that goes to my H21 is RG6 up until about the last 15 feet or so, in which it's the black (R59).

So, how could both my rec's be effected by a RG59 cable ("digicom" labeled) when the HR22 isn't even touching it? It would seem to me a problem with the actual dish, or maybe the electical wiring in my home is causing some interference?

I don't see how it could be a problem with the cabling if both rec's have the same problem, and they are on totally different cables from each other?:confused:

If your signals on 103c and 99c are in the low 70's and 80's then they are not fine and the tech leaving and not putting in RG6 is BS. It should not cost you anything. But the fact that there is RG59 in there also indicates that the tech that did the HD system didnt do his job and there are probably old issue prone connectors and wall plates that should be replaced.

101 95+
110 95+
119 95+
103 85+
99 85+

anything less other than a few transponders is an improperly peaked dish.

I would call D* back immediately and demand someone come back out and do it right at no cost to you.

Make sure the new tech does...

- Peaks the Dish properly (99 and 103 should be high 80's mid 90's)
- Updates ALL Connectors
- Updates ALL applicable wall plates
- Doesn't Charge you a dime
- Replaces any Old Barrel Connectors and tightens them up
- Replaces any RG59 with 3ghtz RG6

If he has a problem with that ask for his sup, we are required to bring EVERYTHING up to current spec and if it takes longer than a $30 service call (1 hour) the tech can charge his HSP/Sub back for the new tasks. If the RG59 is stapled in the wall, then he can charge his company back for the fishes.

Thanks Zynergi, Just before I got your response I called the tech back directly and told him what I found out myself about how the RG6 cables were going straight to my HR22, and that they weren't touching the RG59 cables at all.

I was told he tested the RG59 cables and they had a signal. I have my internet going through them, so that must have been what he's talking about.

I had to keep asking what else we could do other than blame the cables. He said it was probably my electrical in the house.

He was saying he could find time on Friday (2 days from now) to replace the LNB, even though he said it was fine earlier. I was going to call him back on Thursday to remind him and make sure he had time. I was trying to be nice, but this guy was frustrating me.

Anyway, after your response, I called the supervisor, who seemed shocked he didn't fix my problem. She was a "take no prisoner" type of lady. She put me on hold for a while, came back on, and said he's coming back today.

I get a message from him for me to call him back. I do, and I explained about your response, and that you worked for D. Now he's upset with me, telling me that he was trying to help me out, and that my signal in the 70's and 80's on 99 and 103 were fine.

He said now he's getting grief from his boss for "helping me," and that he has to work out something with his babysitter now to come back out here.

It's getting dark as I type. He told me that all he could do was replace the LNB and said something about my trees. I have trees, yes, but none of them are in line of the dish whatsoever, it's a clear shot to the sky.

I hope you don't mind me telling him what you said in more detail? I already told him about your response, and he said "some guy on the internet doesn't know..." I'm not going to give him any website info or anything.

I needed to tell him where I got my info from because I don't know much, and I really just want to get this fixed. I was trying hard to stay nice to him when he was upset with me.

Sorry for the book I just wrote, I suppose I am venting my frustration. I'll let him replace the LNB, and I'm going to try and get him to peak my dish when I show him there are no trees in the way.

Thanks for your help. I for one, greatly appreciate your time and expertise.

You have the right to refuse him to service you. Since you have a Supervisors number, ask if someone more competent or willing to do a job they were hired for could come out at *YOUR* convenience. To me it sounds like you got a half asked guy that walks in and goes oh your remote is on the wrong side of the couch... here see it works better here.. bye...

My Last response is nothing over bearing at all, it is a requirement per contract by D*. Him leaving and blowing you off then getting pissed you contacted a Sup is definitely not doing you a favor. When I was a Field Sup with D* this action by Techs usually ended up in a chargeback to him and a Written Write up which ultimately leads to a reduction in pay. He is acting completely unprofessional and outside of what he is required to do and is borderline becoming harassing.

As far as electrical use an outlet tester
313D4C5JGNL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
which can be had at lowes or HD for $3- $5 and will tell if there is any problem in 10 seconds or less.

Yes, a small ordeal on my side to be sure. I didn't mean any harm. I just wanted my problem fixed. I can't help if his boss gets so upset with him. That's beyond my control. I didn't yell or place blame, just relayed what I heard that made total sense.

Anyway, he came back at night. I turned the outside lights on for him. He told me he replaced the LNB and peaked the dish. 99 and 103 signals now in the mid/high 80's.

Too bad the problem persists. :what

Atleast the sat sigs are stronger now, that can't hurt.:D

I'm going to take a breather for a day or two, and then go find one of those outlet testers. Thanks for that info.

If it's not the ground in the electrical, I can't imagine what to do next.

This thread reads like a comedy series! When you "really" don't know what you are doing you blame anything. electrical, trees... etc. I am surprised he did not come over with a saw and start cutting down limbs.

The problem is either in your receiver or TV. Have you (or a service tech) tried swapping either? How does your receiver interface to your TV?

This thread reads like a comedy series! When you "really" don't know what you are doing you blame anything. electrical, trees... etc. I am surprised he did not come over with a saw and start cutting down limbs.

The problem is either in your receiver or TV. Have you (or a service tech) tried swapping either? How does your receiver interface to your TV?
He tried blaming the trees when we were on the phone together after his supervisor yelled at him. When he got back over here and I pointed at the dish, and said, "What trees are you talking about?," he quickly changed the subject. Yes, now that it's over, it was a comedy. At the time, it was frustrating. I think I handled myself pretty good. Sometimes I don't. :rolleyes: A work in progress for me. It was still worth the trouble though, because I got 10 more points on the sat signals for 99 and 103.

The only problem with your theory is that it's 2 different receivers (HR22, H21), and 2 different TV's (LCD and Plasma), using 2 different cables from the dish to rec's. Actually 3 cables (2 to the HR22, and 1 to the H21). And it's the exact same problem on channel 360 (FoxNews HD). I use an HDMI cable on the HR22, and component on the H21. I changed out the HDMI cable, no difference.

What about power lines? My dish is within about 15 feet of some power lines. Not too close, but not too far either. The dish doesn't point to them or anything, but again, they're about 15 feet away.

Block the channel. :)
Can't do it, it's my most watched channel.:(

It's really becoming a challenge to figure out the problem.

I've ruled out:
The HDTV's themselves
LNB
The power of the satellite signals
all cables
The 2 receivers
power surge protectors

Still to check:
electrical outlets in home
If some exterior power lines 15 feet from dish can have an effect on picture?
If the dish itself could be defective somehow? (The LNB was replaced already)

I'm running out of things to check!:confused:

If it happening on one receiver I would say it's RAM issue or DAC or VideoRAM; for many receivers and one TV - TV is bad; but the issue cannot be related to dish/LNBF/cable/switches for sure.
It is inside TV or receiver or between - i.e. signal processing, and transporting.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts