Does anyone know when DTV's deal for NFL ST ends? Is it after 2021?

Mostly likely Amazon or Apple will put in huge bids for the rights to Sunday Ticket, driving the price up.
I hope not Apple. I dont want to spend $100+ on multiple apple TV 4k streaming things just 2 get Pixelation evey few min cause I have a bad ISP.

Unrelated but I tried to watch the world series in a streaming thing (amazon 4k stick hard wired ethernet ) and it broke up evey few minutes . Thank goodness D* had the 4K feed

Streaming is not for everyone and not everyone has a reliable ISP or even Internet .

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Disney CEO Bob Iger has already said publicly he would have interest in Sunday Ticket, although it remains unclear if the NFL will negotiate Sunday Ticket at the same time as its other packages or wait until later this year.

If Disney does nab Sunday Ticket away from AT&T, it would use the package to push ESPN+ subscriptions, according to two people familiar with the company’s plans -- viewers would have to sign up for ESPN+ to have access to the games before paying the annual package charge, currently about $300. AT&T has viewed Sunday Ticket, which costs about $1.5 billion annually, as too expensive for the amount of customers it brings in for DirecTV and likely wouldn’t be interested in winning a bidding war, according to people familiar with the matter.

Still, while Disney can theoretically afford a lot of live football, ESPN is losing millions of subscribers each year as more people cut traditional cable. Putting Sunday Ticket on ESPN+ might erode the traditional cable bundle faster, because it will make ESPN+ a better replacement product. Disney has the goods to make a big splash but is also arguably the most exposed by paying billions for rights that ESPN relies on.

On the general NFL rights front, SBJ reports that most of the general NFL rights deals are about done, except for ESPN. NBC, CBS, and Fox will pay about double what they were paying for about the same rights. CBS and Fox will continue their Sunday afternoon system, although it seem likely that the AFC-NFC split system will be further eroded with both networks just getting a list of games each Sunday not split by the conference system. Fox will retain TNF, and NBC SNF.

The sticking point is ESPN, which has paid far more than the other networks. This was because as a "cable" channel, it could hit up viewers in a more direct way than broadcast stations, and because ESPN got exclusive rights to highlights. ESPN now believes that the highlights are not worth anything, as its all on cell phones now anyway, and it wants better games for MNF, which, of course, takes those games away from Fox and CBS (and NFLST). AT&T has been invited to bid (probably using TNT as the outlet), but SBJ thinks ESPN will renew, but for maybe a 150% increase, not double.

I doubt either has any interest in exclusive rights to NFLST.
I doubt that Amazon has any interest in exclusive rights to Thursday Night Football either. Oh wait...

Now, I would agree that Amazon and Apple may not care about distributing NFLST to commercial establishments. And the NFL might not even allow it, depending on how broadband-connected America's sports bars are.

But at least for residential subscribers, yeah, I think Amazon and ESPN+ are both very interested in being the exclusive distributor of NFLST. And maybe Peacock Premium too. (Apple makes less sense to me, but who knows.)

I doubt that Amazon has any interest in exclusive rights to Thursday Night Football either. Oh wait...

Now, I would agree that Amazon and Apple may not care about distributing NFLST to commercial establishments. And the NFL might not even allow it, depending on how broadband-connected America's sports bars are.

But at least for residential subscribers, yeah, I think Amazon and ESPN+ are both very interested in being the exclusive distributor of NFLST. And maybe Peacock Premium too. (Apple makes less sense to me, but who knows.)
Those thursday games are so unpopular that the only way people will watch them is in a bar or restaraunt

Those thursday games are so unpopular that the only way people will watch them is in a bar or restaraunt
LOL, OK. In actuality, Thursday Night Football averaged more than 14 million viewers in each of the past three seasons.

In fact, it was the second highest rated show in primetime for the 2019-20 TV season, behind only Sunday Night Football at #1 and just ahead of Monday Night Football at #3.

LOL, OK. In actuality, Thursday Night Football averaged more than 14 million viewers in each of the past three seasons.

In fact, it was the second highest rated show in primetime for the 2019-20 TV season, behind only Sunday Night Football at #1 and just ahead of Monday Night Football at #3.
Thats counting bars and restaraunts

Did ask about sunday ticket?
Can't remember which post it was but somewhere they're was mention or pricing bars pay for NFL ST ...etc so I posted the link ...

If it wasn't this thread my apologies

The question is what happens when DTV loses the license to ST.

No, the question is still whether they will.

All we know for sure is that they will not renew the all encompassing exclusive deal. We don't know if there will be a future exclusive licensee or multiple licensees/sublicensees, or if the NFL can't get the price they're looking for whether they end up selling direct to consumers like mlb.tv.

No, the question is still whether they will.

All we know for sure is that they will not renew the all encompassing exclusive deal. We don't know if there will be a future exclusive licensee or multiple licensees/sublicensees, or if the NFL can't get the price they're looking for whether they end up selling direct to consumers like mlb.tv.
They will never sell direct, they won't make their money back. They will need a partner to give them guaranteed money.

Maybe DTV gets a commercial licensing deal only for bars and restaurants.

Reactions: SamCdbs
They will never sell direct, they won't make their money back. They will need a partner to give them guaranteed money.

Maybe DTV gets a commercial licensing deal only for bars and restaurants.

Why would someone be interested in an exclusive deal if the NFL selling direct can't make as much as they'd be asking?

Directv was willing to do it because it helped drive people to subscribe to them, but that won't work for anyone else. Cable companies each cover a minority of the country by population, so they'd have an even harder time making it pay than Directv.

Streaming companies either already have the large majority of those who would be interested (Amazon Prime, Netflix) and would not make much money because they charge a lot less and allow people to subscribe month to month so they'd only get four months a year of revenue.

If the NFL can't make it pay selling direct, neither can anyone else, and the NFL won't get what they're asking.

Reactions: SamCdbs
Agree I also suffer from horific docsis service.

My directv is more reliable than this horific service they call cable broadband.

I'm hoping it will be directv plus an online option with more features like NFL game pass or MLB.TV

I personally think there is no way a cable company could do NFL ST , look at how companies like Comcast are compressing all channels doen to 720p ...

yea but comcast is one of the ones interested in it along with amazon and netflix of all people. i think the X1 platform on comcast is cloud based as well though i might be wrong. i think that dtv will carry the sunday ticket i don't think it will be exclusive to dtv...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts