Does anyone know when DTV's deal for NFL ST ends? Is it after 2021?

Sunday ticket was around before directv? Thought it was always exclusive to directv in the US

I believe NFL ST launched in 94...
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
With are big BUDs we got all the games in the clear!.....That was a long time ago.

The article said new CBS graphics... what new graphics all i notice are different colors. Nothing innovative like FOX

There were minor changes. Slightly different font I guess. The CBS graphics were always the best to me. Easy to read and not flashy and annoying. It was better before, but still fine now. The Fox graphics look like a video game and drive me crazy! I thought they would grow on me this year, but they did not. Simple is better. (Now there is TOO simple like NESN where it is too small and there could be team logos or something...)

This is fundamentally incorrect. Understand that DirecTV OVERPAYS for NFLST. It pays the NFL MORE than DirecTV takes in in subscriber fees. It LOSES money on the venture on a cash basis.

Why? Because DirecTV believes that many people, and probably more importantly most sports bars and the like, get DirecTV for their regular TV needs because it provides access to DirecTV.

Now if it were available through multiple providers, the fee the NFL would receive would be zero, just some %age of the subscriber fee. Which would be far less than DirecTV pays now. Far less.

As to me, I have never understood the NFLST appeal. In most places you get two games at 1 ET and one at 4:25, plus games on Thursday, Sunday night and Monday night. That is 6 out of a highest possible (in a no bye week) 16 games. Paying big $$ to watch a max of 10 games (which assumes you would have 12 TVs, which nobody does), on at exactly the same time as free games I just don't get.
It's very simple... It is very possible that of all those games you mentioned on regular TV, you could see your favorite team just a couple times per year. Watch 506sports.com during the season to see who gets what without ST and you'll see the tendency for the networks to show what is local and what is doing well at the time. If your team is not local and not always top of the league, you're not going to see them much. I am the opposite, I don't see the appeal of TV without NFL Sunday Ticket! I am one of those people that Directv has as long as they have NFLST. Plus they have ACC Network which my local cable company does not have.

To see your team without NFLST, you have two options, go out to a bar/restaurant nearly every week and watch it there with no sound and annoying people around and have to pay for food to stay there.... OR pay for airfare, hotel, parking, and of course game tickets and see all of those games in person. Which is cheaper of the three? Sunday Ticket. That is one way to justify it. And during the Corona time, going anywhere isn't really an option.

Right so it was never on the cable cos :)
Only sat providers

Sunday ticket was around before directv? Thought it was always exclusive to directv in the US

I believe NFL ST launched in 94...
Before that slightly, it was not a D* thing in the start.

I originally got it on my C-Band set up back in the day ... it was $79 the first year, I believe $99 the next ...

It did start in '94 as you pointed out ...
I forgot I didn't get D* till a few years later ('97 maybe)

Btw, ST was never on Cable that I am aware of ...

Reactions: dtv757
Agree I also suffer from horific docsis service.

My directv is more reliable than this horific service they call cable broadband.

I'm hoping it will be directv plus an online option with more features like NFL game pass or MLB.TV

I personally think there is no way a cable company could do NFL ST , look at how companies like Comcast are compressing all channels doen to 720p ...

They could do it, they would just use the same TEAMS transponders on CBAND that they use to get MLB EI, NHL CI and NBA LP to all the head ends. NFL usually doesn't interfere with any of those sports, and by the time the games are over, they could easily switch feeds.

I have Comcast internet and it really is pretty good. I stream NFLST through my PS4 on one tv and use my receiver on my main tv. Other than a few second delay, i have no problems streaming. I hope NFLST stays on Directv, but at least i can stream it. i also have an antenna for my local games.

DirecTV's current deal to carry NFL Sunday Ticket extends through the 2022 season. (The NFL's broadcast contracts with Fox, CBS and NBC all go through 2022 as well.) So DTV's got it for two more seasons. After that, I'd expect another big collapse in DTV's subscriber numbers, because I doubt that they keep NFL ST after the current contract ends. (And if they do, it won't be on an exclusive basis.)

They will likely work out a deal to keep commercial for like sports bars on an exclusive basis.

They will likely renew the residential agreements, but will allow other providers to carry the package as well.

Unless the NFL ticket is being sold on a per customer basis vs just 1 big fee and the provider does whatever they want with the content like they do now. I doubt it’s going to impact Directv subscriber base.

I can tell you right now Dish will never carry it. It’s too rich for their blood.

Besides you can’t carry a football package and not have regional sports networks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can tell you right now Dish will never carry it. It’s too rich for their blood.

Besides you can’t carry a football package and not have regional sports networks

NFL games are not on RSNs they are on local FOX, CBS , NBC. Monday is ESPN and Thursday is NFL Network/Fox (sometimes amazon) .

All the other major sports are on RSNs like MLB , NBA, NHL

Reactions: Jimbo
Yeah, but the point is that in its race to the bottom DISH has abandoned any pretense of being a service for sports fans, or sports bars. It would be against its business model to offer NFLST when it cannot even get you your local baseball and hockey teams.

They will likely work out a deal to keep commercial for like sports bars on an exclusive basis.

They will likely renew the residential agreements, but will allow other providers to carry the package as well.

Unless the NFL ticket is being sold on a per customer basis vs just 1 big fee and the provider does whatever they want with the content like they do now. I doubt it’s going to impact Directv subscriber base.

We'll see. I'd agree that the case is better for DTV/AT&T to continue to hold an exclusive on NFST on the commercial side than the residential side, although neither may happen.

And, yes, I do think that losing NFLST exclusivity (or, worse, losing it completely) on the residential side would cause another hit to DTV's subscriber numbers. It's one of the few things that really sets DTV apart from other cable TV services. That brand has been built, to an extent, on being the best cable TV service for sports fans, and the NFL is the nation's biggest sport. If you can suddenly get NFLST from your local cable/broadband company (Comcast, Charter, Cox, Verizon FiOS, etc.) and/or streaming over the internet (whether through a standalone package or bundled in with YouTube TV, AT&T TV, ESPN+, Prime Video, etc.), then I think we'll see even more folks who've considered ditching their rooftop dish for a few years finally do it.

Reactions: Jimbo

If the NFL offers it for consumers on a per head basis it won't be any different from other services like MLBEI and NBALP where Dish or whoever just take a piece of the action for every subscriber. If so Dish will get in the action along with many cable providers.

If the NFL offers it for consumers on a per head basis it won't be any different from other services like MLBEI and NBALP where Dish or whoever just take a piece of the action for every subscriber. If so Dish will get in the action along with many cable providers.

I don’t think the NFL could ever collect enough money allowing it to be sold to as a per subscriber basis.

Directv pays many times more than it should, because they are using their exclusive rights to this package as a way to force people to subscribe to their other package.

Directv will never allow NFL to be sold a la carte because too many people would get Directv for just NFL.

Bars can get a $24.99 package with just locals, but when an establishment is spending $2500 who cares if they get a base package.

Exactly just think about normal times (before covid) just about every bar and restaurant has directv

In my area even small dine in fast food like shake shack has directv.

Huge restaurants like Dave and busters etc...

Nfl and directv make a lot of $$ from bars and restaurants.

I don’t think the NFL could ever collect enough money allowing it to be sold to as a per subscriber basis.

Directv pays many times more than it should, because they are using their exclusive rights to this package as a way to force people to subscribe to their other package.

Directv will never allow NFL to be sold a la carte because too many people would get Directv for just NFL.

Bars can get a $24.99 package with just locals, but when an establishment is spending $2500 who cares if they get a base package.

This is a NFL choice, not a Directv Choice ... (unless they want to really throw more money than they should at it again) .
The NFL is the one that will ultimately decide on how its sold or packaged.

The only way Directv can prevent the NFL from selling to others is to sign up for another exclusive at an even higher price. NFLST is worth less to them as a loss leader the fewer subscribers they have.

I think the NFL could expand the number of NFLST subscribers by not only offering it to any provider who wants it like MLBEI etc. are, but also offering single team packages at half the price of the full package for those who only want it for one team. Easier to justify paying $150 a season to follow your team than $300.

The only way Directv can prevent the NFL from selling to others is to sign up for another exclusive at an even higher price. NFLST is worth less to them as a loss leader the fewer subscribers they have.

I think the NFL could expand the number of NFLST subscribers by not only offering it to any provider who wants it like MLBEI etc. are, but also offering single team packages at half the price of the full package for those who only want it for one team. Easier to justify paying $150 a season to follow your team than $300.
As long as they are willing to still discount from that starting point.
I typically would get it for around $180 for All teams (including the MAX version), I'm sure many others get it cheaper even yet ... Personally, I find $180 as a good enough value to agree to.

Personally, I think they should do an individual team for $75 ... less would be nice, but I doubt that would happen.
Of course, like everything else, it would go up each year :(.

Back in the day, when I first started with the ST, the whole package cost $79.

Mostly likely Amazon or Apple will put in huge bids for the rights to Sunday Ticket, driving the price up.

The reason DirecTV puts up a "huge bid" for ST is known. It links access to ST to your getting your (be you a home owner or a sports bar) ordinary TV from it. It loses money on ST, but makes money selling regular linear TV.

For Apple or Amazon? Especially considering there is really no ad revenue from ST in its current form. The national ads are the same on each network's telecast, and they keep that money.

I would rather expect a streaming service to try to get some exclusive games it produces itself. Although Amazon's attempt at that this year has convinced me that streaming major live sports is just not ready for prime time yet, but that is a discussion for another day.

The reason DirecTV puts up a "huge bid" for ST is known. It links access to ST to your getting your (be you a home owner or a sports bar) ordinary TV from it. It loses money on ST, but makes money selling regular linear TV.

For Apple or Amazon? Especially considering there is really no ad revenue from ST in its current form. The national ads are the same on each network's telecast, and they keep that money.

I would rather expect a streaming service to try to get some exclusive games it produces itself. Although Amazon's attempt at that this year has convinced me that streaming major live sports is just not ready for prime time yet, but that is a discussion for another day.
Amazon makes money selling Prime. They will add another fee for ST. I'd imagine Amazon makes more money than the networks do on advertising.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)