Does anything tend to dx as a signal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mdovell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
I say this sometimes with a bit with reguars to radio because if it's night time and especially in winter you can get stations far off (am and even fm) with tv before I got channel 11 in NH (I'm south of boston) and that was OTA over ten years ago.

I know that on lyngsat it lists the propagation targets but I was wondering if some signals are strong enough that they go further around some areas than other...thanks.

Hello and WELCOME to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum!

I started off in Radio (people say I have the face for it?) and have done some DX'ing over the years. FTA is a very similar hobby but the closest I have came to it with FTA is getting satellite signals from satellites that I am not supposed to get. Nahuel 1 at 72w springs to mind.
Since I started using the Invacom LNBF I have been able to pick up channels from this satellite even though I am not in the footprint!

Same great feeling that I used to get when I was messing about with radio years ago in the UK!

All the best and nice to see you here!

VHF channels 2-6 can sometimes travel great distances when special climate conditions affect the upper layers of our atmosphere. You usually see this in the late afternoon and early evening in the hot summer months. I.ve seen maybe 7 states and 3 Canadian provinces when I lived in the high desert of Oregon- a good area to dx in, since at the time the closest ch 2-6 were over 100 miles away allowing easier reception of the distant signals.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)