Does D* brainwash it's subscribers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wasch_24

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 30, 2004
Nothern Virginia, D.C. Area
I see that a few have seen this thread already. This has to be the most insane thread I have ever seen at AVS. Dvlos has been trying valianltly but I seriously think D* is transmitting some sort of subliminal messages or something. :eek:

It's the work of the former voom subscribers/bashers trying to justify their reasons for leaving voom when deep down we know they are regretting it!

Actually I think I will go to Echostar, and have their smallest HD pack like DarrellP does with their DVR, and keep the OTA. At least E* dedicates good B/W for HDnet and not chopping down the bitrate excessively on HDNets. However that COULD change if what these D* prophets believe will be the 2nd coming of HD, in mid 2005, D* has all these HD LILs and tons of bandwidth for all their HD along with Starz, INHD, and TNTHD. I'd have a hard time ponying up one thousand dollars up front for a HD-DVR.

D* is sending out subliminal messages to HD subs telling them that dumbed down HD Lite is acceptable. This blows me away coming from AVSForum, the leaders in HD and HT gear. These people that need their football over PQ should be terminated immediately and fed to the gators.

All the games that are available via FoxHD, CBSHD, ABCHD and ESPNHD, how much fricken football can someone watch in a week? Geez, get a life.

Not only that. It is ok for them to watch it on their 720p HDTV and leaving all the 1080i owners hanging. Excuses to justify "HD lite". To me that's insane. I did not got into HD to watch water down HD.

If I am not mistaken isn't 720p only sets the exception not the norm? Aren't most TVs right now being sold do 1080i and not 720p? Or are 1080i native? It seems to be that both technologies look better depending on their content, and shutting your eyes and saying there is only one clear choice for HD for everything is wrong.

Yet they are actually justifying chopping down 1080i delivered content, to almost a third of HD's true bandwidth, reducing the resolution down by 30%, say it LOOKS better, and that D* is in the RIGHT for doing this.

If you guys read the threads on AVS, it's painfully obvious I'm not as knowleadge as others on here like bruce, vurbano, etc... but if you generalize something there are groups of people who will jump on your case and nitpick to death.

"No way DVLOS you are wrong, it isn't XYZ * Y = HD it's XYZ * Y *.000039 = HD, everyone knows that!" and now a week later than D* starts their new HD Lite promo they are like:

oooohhh.. filtering is ok.. it depends how you do it. I mean you could mox, vox, or chicken pox filter it, if it's done right it will look like that hazy camera effect they used to take my child's baby pictures.. awww.. joo so cute D*.

Dvlos said:
If you guys read the threads on AVS, it's painfully obvious I'm not as knowleadge as others on here like bruce, vurbano, etc... but if you generalize something there are groups of people who will jump on your case and nitpick to death.

QUOTE]

Amen to the nitpicking bandwagon. I criticized them for disregarding the needs of the non ST customers, reducing the HD quality to see ST in full bandwidth and they call that a "compromise"? For a year HD took a back seat to locals, now to ST and then its gonna take a back seat to HD LIL and im criticized as only caring about what suits me? gimmie a break. ST is getting attention because it is the bait on the 12 month contract hook, pure and simple. HD LIL will bring in subs, adding value to D*'s HD pack seems to be the last thing on Ruperts mind. But then again I cant be objective and realize how narrow minded I am. I am blinded by my VOOM loyalty..LMAO

A lot of sets accept 1080i, but my understanding is that they actually procerss 540 to 540p to cheapen the deinterlacing costs.

Dvlos said:
If I am not mistaken isn't 720p only sets the exception not the norm? Aren't most TVs right now being sold do 1080i and not 720p? Or are 1080i native?

It's hard to say if they are the exception or the norm. I think most all of the CRT based TVs do 1080i. There might be a few that do 720P I think the Sony 910/960XBRs can do both for a CRT based.

Most of the traditional big screens do 1080i only as well from what I have seen.

I think all of the newer technologies Plasma, DLP, LCD, LCOS, HD-ILA do 720P and some do both as well.

My pj is 720p native but I can tell a difference when watching a 720p source vs a 1080i source, it seems to have more detail even though my pj can't produce any more than 720p. Must be Magic.

DobyMax said:
Come on over to the DTV forum and post it. You'll be back sooner or later anyway. :yes

Who wouldn't, you got D* people saying down rezzing and less bandwidth are a good thing! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

DobyMax said:
Come on over to the DTV forum and post it. You'll be back sooner or later anyway. :yes

DTV = Digital Television
D* = DirecTv

The "HD Lite" or "Water Down HD" by D* on HDnet movies and Showtime-HD has been posted heavily at AVSforum HDTV Programming. There's no better forum to post this than AVS HDTV Programming. You can see the results. A lot of D* subscribers are willing to compromise with D* about having HDnet Movies and Showtime-HD less than HD quality for Sunday NFL Ticket. Mind you that is not only on Sundays but for the entire duration of NFL season. The same may happen to HDnet once NBC-HD East/West and Fox-HD East/West are added. This may mean that D* is in no position to add anymore HD channels until they (1) launch another Satellite or (2) get rid of those NFL HD channels. Unless D* finds that there was no outcry about the "HD Lite" and decides that this should be the conventional way to deliever HD quality.

aahhhh Sean, you know who and what I was talking about. It's only a matter of time before the assimilation is over. :yes

You seem to ignore Facts! about your own HD channels and it is sad that you are not alone since there a bunch of D* subscribers who have "compromised" to this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)