does direct tv own my purchased recievers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

prop

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
mexico
a few years ago i bought some ird`s at bestbuy.now dtv tells me they are leased and i do not own them,even though i paid for them.is this true?

I've heard stories you don't own, but regardless, Best Buy does not lease items to rent. If you bought something from Best Buy its 100% yours

I've heard stories you don't own, but regardless, Best Buy does not lease items to rent. If you bought something from Best Buy its 100% yours

Not true. When Best Buy "sold" Directv receivers, you paid a subsidized price which was maybe 1/2 or 1/3 of the full price on the condition that you returned the ird to Directv when you were done with it. For the most part, any receiver activated after March 2006 has been leased. There are some exceptions to this, but if your bill has the words "Leased Receiver" on it, your receivers are leased....

Any modern receiver acquired at Best Buy in the last five years is most certainly leased. They had a rather large and public blow-up with DIRECTV over telling customers that they were owned (as did Crutchfield).

It's leased, but you have to buy it first. It must be good to be directv.

I believe it's the only business that operates this way? I wonder if there's been any law suits that have challenged directv ownership of the boxes? Something doesn't seem right when you pay at a retail store, walk out of the store with equipment in hand after purchase, yet this is a "lease"? Something has always bothered me about this. It just doesn't seem right or fair. And yes, I know life isn't always fair.

I wish someone would legally challenge this assertment of Directv's. Writing terms down, doesn't necessarily make it legally binding. There could be something wrong with buying a leased item. Or not.

It's leased, but you have to buy it first. It must be good to be directv.

I believe it's the only business that operates this way? I wonder if there's been any law suits that have challenged directv ownership of the boxes? Something doesn't seem right when you pay at a retail store, walk out of the store with equipment in hand after purchase, yet this is a "lease"? Something has always bothered me about this. It just doesn't seem right or fair. And yes, I know life isn't always fair.

I wish someone would legally challenge this assertment of Directv's. Writing terms down, doesn't necessarily make it legally binding. There could be something wrong with buying a leased item. Or not.

directv never said they were purchased, thats best buy, so argue with them
both dish and direct charge for receivers up front, after a free one or 2
and they are considered leased.
dish may actually allow the purchase of a receiver for full price but i cant remember

So Directv does not sell any receiver anymore? If you buy one from say Solid Signal, you are simply leasing it?

From March 2006 Directv receivers were leased D10 SD receivers were "FREE" but leased. All other Directv receivers from that point on carry a "LEASE UPGRADE FEE" you are upgrading the receiver beyond the base model. It has become the industry model and continues.

So Directv does not sell any receiver anymore? If you buy one from say Solid Signal, you are simply leasing it?
You can still "BUY" for the purpose of owning the receiver. The owned receivers originally are "PURCHASED" from Directv and can be resold but they usually have to be transferred by the Access Card Department to keep the owned status intact.

boba said:
You can still "BUY" for the purpose of owning the receiver. The owned receivers originally are "PURCHASED" from Directv and can be resold but they usually have to be transferred by the Access Card Department to keep the owned status intact.

Also they will be full price, when the HR20's came out they were about $ 850 to buy.

Most subs wuld not pay that kind of price to own, so the lease option was started ...

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Here are the offical prices for OWNED equipment

SD 199
SDDVR 399
HD 399
HDDVR 499

If your willing to pay that to dtv then they would be considered owned by you. Also buying them at owned prices keeps the two year agreement way .

Think of it this way. If DirecTV supplied the receivers at no cost, then the monthly fees would most likely be a lot higher. And possibly the programming fees as well.

Think of it this way. If DirecTV supplied the receivers at no cost, then the monthly fees would most likely be a lot higher. And possibly the programming fees as well.

They have made a healthy profit on the gear. The buy but actually lease system they have going is pure business genius. Most of these boxes have seen multiple homes and or multiple etfs.

I can build a fully functional htpc for 60% of the price the other user quoted. I'm sure d gets better prices. The inflated bull price they put out is just that. Bull. They need a boosted reference point for people that don't return or damage the equipment.

Last edited:
Here are the offical prices for OWNED equipment

SD 199
SDDVR 399
HD 399
HDDVR 499

If your willing to pay that to dtv then they would be considered owned by you. Also buying them at owned prices keeps the two year agreement way .

Would they then replace them for free if they should go bad ?

How trustworthy is eBay buying boxes? I never liked the idea of buying an Xbox from eBay in fear the MAC address is blacklisted

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts