This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Does DirecTV have anything similar to Dish's DishAnywhere?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Genie Go will allow you to watch any program off your DVR over your home wifi network on iPhone, iPad, and some Android devices (not sure if android is launched or coming soon).

It also will transcode and download programs to your device to watch away from home (not stream, but download).

Device is around $100, no monthly cost.

I have to pay for a $100 device, the Genie Go, in order to do what I can do at no charge using a Hopper With Sling? Seems to me DirecTV has made a mistake here, and needs to fix it in the next model if they can't with current models.

Can you also watch live channels on your computer?

Yes you can with DishAnywhere. You go to the guide, select whatever is on at that time and it asks if you want to watch it....Live.

So, in other words, NO, you cannot watch live tv on your phone, ipad, etc. outside your own home network.

Can you also watch live channels on your computer?

Perhaps this will help:

https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3624/related/1

I have to pay for a $100 device, the Genie Go, in order to do what I can do at no charge using a Hopper With Sling? Seems to me DirecTV has made a mistake here, and needs to fix it in the next model if they can't with current models.

You had to buy the Sling, didn't you ?

Fwiw, theres always gonna be something that one company does that the other doesn't ... different equipment or different channels ... if not it would be ONE company.

Is that the same price as other recvrs ?

Just like always, free with new/returning customer and varying price as an 'upgrade' depending on your account and the magic 8 ball the CSR is using at the time.

Exactly like D*.

Well, other than it works better than the GenieGo from all the reports I've read.

Fwiw, theres always gonna be something that one company does that the other doesn't ... different equipment or different channels ... if not it would be ONE company.

Absolutely!!

Dish't current DishAnywhere offering is much better and more flexible than is D*'s at the moment. But both are a moving target so both should get better.

Dish has had viewing of recorded material on your DVR in the home for quite a long while, long before the Hopper was introduced. It was strictly an in home streaming at the time and only worked for recorded material, but it worked quite well. I used to watch late night TV by setting the show to record and then go to bed and watch it slightly delayed on my iPad 1.

Now we can do the same thing when away from home if we have good enough upstream capability, or even if not as long as you don't mind watching not good video. Add to it the online, away from home and the ability to transfer recordings to tablets, and you've got a very flexible system.

D*'s is still pretty much a work in progress at this point.

Status
Please reply by conversation.