Does Directv use splitters?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

stellar832000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
San Antonio
Does Directv use separators?

I really don't have any knowledge of installation so I have a question...DVR's require two satellite inputs to function (tuners 1 and 2) with Directv the installer would always run two seperate cables from the switch to the DVR, but with Dish they run only one and then separate the wire just before it gets to the DVR to create two seperate inputs...is this right? why doesn't directv do this? Or is it just a matter of the installer?

Last edited:
The way the two systems work (DirecTV vs. Dish Network) is totally different. In a nutshell splitters will not work with DirecTV.

You CAN use splitters with DirecTV if you have one of the new SWM LNB's or a SWM8 module, that's the only way you can use splitters. If you're a new installation and have between 5 and 8 tuners being installed (like two DVR's and one non-DVR or four DVR's) there's a good chance that you would get a SWM LNB for the install. If you're already installed your only option if to purchase your own SWM LNB or a SWM8 switch, the SWM8's are available via Weaknees a site sponsor here.

The Dish system is not a splitter, it's a separator. Big difference.

I really don't have any knowledge of installation so I have a question...DVR's require two satellite inputs to function (tuners 1 and 2) with Directv the installer would always run two seperate cables from the switch to the DVR, but with Dish they run only one and then split the wire just before it gets to the DVR to create two seperate inputs...is this right? why doesn't directv do this? Or is it just a matter of the installer?
DISH has Legacy and Dish Pro LNBs neither of which is compatible with SEPARATORS . Dish Pro Plus is the latest generation of DISH LNBs and is compatible with separators.

Directv up to this year has used the Equivalent of DISH Legacy LNBs. This year they introduced the SWM (actually information was released last year) this makes it possible to actually use splitters to feed the dual tuner receivers with a single cable. SWM is coming into national availability but is not the predominant technology.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)