Does Dish downrez HD channels?

If there are few individual channels that people want me to check I'll look, but I'm not going to scan every HD channel I receive.

Could you also please check CNN, TNT, Discovery HD Theater and History Channel? Also, when you're taking the readings are you on eastern or western arc or both? Thanks

Thanks for looking Buddyboy.

Just from my own observations, and peoples comments, Id say in PQ rankings you have:

1 - FIOS
2 - Directv
3 - Dish

Now, I agreed with the two and three rankings, becuase Ive swapped from Directv to Dish twice, and always noticed a downturn. Its interesting to hear that Directv is actually faltering a bit too.

Since Im in the woods in Williamsburg, and FIOS is nowhere to be found, Ive given up on being irritated about the PQ (only other option is cox with a 20hr dvr and no ehd support), and just enjoying the 722k.

Glad to see at least Vurbano got to try out FIOS in our area.

BTW,

Why in the hell did Dish pick 1440x1080i?

Whats so special about it? I assume it would use less bitrate than 1920? By the time all HD channels are carried by providers and there is no more SD, the HD will be so compressed itll look like SD :haha

Why in the hell did Dish pick 1440x1080i?

IIRC, Thats what a lot of 1080i cameras record at.

I wonder if that's changing with newer cameras? I ask since a couple months ago I got a $600 Sony HD camcorder which does 1920x1080 so has the technology changed lately to allow for higher resolutions?

I wonder if that's changing with newer cameras? I ask since a couple months ago I got a $600 Sony HD camcorder which does 1920x1080 so has the technology changed lately to allow for higher resolutions?

Maybe so, but I doubt production companies are ready to plunk down some serious $$$$ for a commercial quality 1920 camera that only 5-10% of the market would notice the difference.

Thanks Don.

Another thing about HD cameras I never knew, until Gregg Loewen told me, is that they have to be calibrated just like tv's. Another reason why a 3pm Fball game looks great on ESPN, then the 7pm looks like hell.

It took a minute, mine just started.

As opposed to assigning a provider to each, Im just going to say which one looks better.

Don, how long ya gonna wait before you spill the beans?

Mine says 13KB/s on a 16Mbps connection and 0% received. Guess I'll check back after dinner:D

They have to break them down, since their transponders are different bitrates and they are not running them on the same transponder loading. If they didn't break them down then they would be overunning the transponder bitrates.
Are you absolutely sure of that? We're not talking about a granularity of 8 to 10 on the cband transponder, but rather only 4 channels. What JimK2 says (1) makes a whole lot of sense, (2) agrees with the theoretical arguments I was making in another thread, and also (3) agrees with what Charlie has repeatedly been telling us. Yes, we know Charlie can get the tech details wrong, but we still have 1 and 2 and with repeated retellings, I would hope somebody would have gotten to Charlie to get him straightened out by now :eek: on 3, if in fact that's a fib.

I can imagine some limited breaking apart and splitting of the 4 channel blocks. But Dish can't do much of that without mangling the expensive statistical multiplexing already done by content providers. But 4 + 4 (maybe splitting 1 off?) seems to fit on Dish transponders just fine. Unless you're saying the bitrate of the 4+3 channels already exceeds Dish capacity?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)