Does dish lease 942's

$250.
Cannot compare OTA tuner to 921. But I find it much better then one in 811 (by signal strength).
942 is the best receiver I ever had.

Raptor said:
Minsk1 & tawhite when you got yours how much did it cost? and is the ota tuner as good as the 921 or better?

thanks

Jason

Minsk1 said:
When I tried to call SBC after Voom filed they did not even offer 942. Do not know about current SBC deals.

I called SBC yesterday. I tried and tried to get them to lease me a 942. They said all I could do is pay for one from a retailer. I went out to Radio Shack and bought a $90 HD receiver that was on clearance and hooked that up to the HDMI output to my TV. I now have the 522 DVR for normal TV and the HD receiver for football on ABC, CBS, and FOX. I'm content on waiting until they go MPEG 4 now. I don't get my ESPN in HD, but I can live with that...plus I don't have to pay $10/month for HD channels.

They wouldn't give me one! I've been a customer for almost 2 years and they would not let me lease one. Was eventually transfered to the executive resolution team who also said I could not have one. Told them to cancel my account and they did. 2 emails went unanswered. Hope you have better luck that I did. :mad:

Raptor said:
will dish lease 942's? I don't see a lease option on their website only one for the 811. I purchased a 921 and want to lease a 942, because I don't want to buy another reciever till the mp4's are out.

Jason

I've sent 2 emails requesting to lease a 942 and I've been with E* for something like 8 years now. No replies yet, but I'm patient. It took me 4 or 5 emails to get them to lease me an 811 about 19 months ago, so I'll keep trying every few days and see what happens...

long_time_DNC said:
I've sent 2 emails requesting to lease a 942 and I've been with E* for something like 8 years now. No replies yet, but I'm patient. It took me 4 or 5 emails to get them to lease me an 811 about 19 months ago, so I'll keep trying every few days and see what happens...

Same here. It will be 8 years for me either this month or next. I sent them an email Monday morning and haven't heard anything from them.

Heard from them late yesterday afternoon. The woman who replied wanted my account # or phone number to verify my account. I suspect this will be used to verify that what I said (about being a customer for nearly 8 years). So at least I've finally received a reply. The ball is rolling...I hope it doesn't roll into the gutter. ;)

Van said:
wonder if I can take my dodge minivan and tell chrysler that I want a new one free..... :p
Don't forget to rant if they turn you down. Oh and also be sure to lament about how they screwed you too. Because we all need to hear about that. ;)

I lease a 942 and paid the $250 upgrade fee. I have had a very good experience with E*, but in the short while I had Adelphia (post VOOM DBS) they let me rent three (3) low-cost HD DVRs (SA8300HD DVR). Additionally, FiOS is moving into the area and will gladly rent three (3) low-cost DVRs to me as well. Hopefully, E* will offer low-cost rentals (942/962) or the Whole Home Server next year and get rid of that $250 upgrade fee. Otherwise, it may make better sense to look elsewhere.

Well - I emailed them last week (had to email twice before I got a response) and they responded with a flat out "no" to me leasing a 942. I told them that I would check with DirectTV to see what they had to offer, and the guy (Judd) didn't seem to care. Anyway, just thought I would share.... :mad:

Van said:
wonder if I can take my dodge minivan and tell chrysler that I want a new one free..... :p

I suppose you could try that, good luck :)

Actually though we are talking about asking for the "privilege" of paying $250 upfront to lease a receiver from E*. Not really free is it?

Here's the reply I got when I requested an upgrade lease:

Thank you for your recent e-mail and interest in the HD DVR 942
receiver. As of right now there is not available promotion for existing
customer to lease the 942 receiver. They are only available for
purchase from a local retailer. I know there are going to be some
changes here in the future when we switch to MPEG 4. During this time,
more receiver are going to become available that have the same features
as the 942 receiver. I do apologize that this can not be done at this
time, but I will keep you informed when I here any new information.
Thank you

I just completed a phone call with a nice gal from Dish Network and they waived the purchase option and granted me the lease option (I've been a customer for about 8 years or so) and my 942 should arrive in 7-10 days and the installer will be here on 10/5.

So, I guess it does indeed pay to be 1) a long-term customer and 2) write a nice email request for a 942. :) When MPEG-4 comes along, upgrading should be a relative breeze.

This will be my first DVR and I'm looking forward to it. :)

Well I'm glad somebody got one, I'm happy for ya ,really . I emailed the ceo and was as nice as I could be and I got the BIG "no" have been with Dish sense Febuary. I'm gonna keep trying though, sqeaky wheel gets the grease! lol.

Well I have been a Dish customer for over 8 yrs now at over $100/month the entire time & was just told on the phone by someone from the executive office that my only options for a 942 would be to purchase one for $799 or I could get a 921 for the DISCOUNTED price of $549.

I am grandfathered in w/distants but I am so close to switching to cable.

Jordan

Jordan420 said:
Well I have been a Dish customer for over 8 yrs now at over $100/month the entire time & was just told on the phone by someone from the executive office that my only options for a 942 would be to purchase one for $799 or I could get a 921 for the DISCOUNTED price of $549.

I am grandfathered in w/distants but I am so close to switching to cable.

Jordan

For similar reasons I'm considering it myself. We are moving into a new pre-wired home in Jan/Feb 06. I don't know how much longer we have to wait for local HDs on Dish. And then there's the 942 issue, for future leasing.
We watch a good 60% of HD through OTA. With cable, I could get it already programmed, and have an HDPVR besides. The 'leases' etc. would bring my monthly payment down 5 bucks a month from what I pay now for AT180, using OTA for locals, Dish HD + Voom channels. But the system would be integrated and less hassle it seems. I just don't know that much about the diff in PQ for both SD and HD.
Maybe over the next 2 mos. something will convince me to stay with dish and continue the 'romance' another 7 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)