Does Dish monitor and analyze ip addresses if you plug your receivers into network?

And how do you claim they obtain the EXTERNAL IP?

And, my EXTERNAL IP changes periodically when my ISP "renews" the "lease".

The EXTERNAL IP in my router varies drastically and it is literally "located" all over the Eastern United states.

So, just how is Dish going to "verify" my location with my EXTERNAL IP?

First.. you have to supply your own Finder ID to see *your* information ... but it does infact give the following
Code:
[URL="http://www.satelliteguys.us/"]-[/URL] <Slingbox>
     <finderid>7CAA14AC80587F499A65102DFEA36BCA</finderid> 
  [URL="http://www.satelliteguys.us/"]-[/URL] <[COLOR=#a52a2a][B]name[/B][/COLOR]>
  - <=!=[=C=D=A=T=A=[ 
DVR  ]=]=>   
   </name>
    <isRegistered>1</isRegistered> 
    <[COLOR=#a52a2a][B]deviceAddress[/B][/COLOR]>75.4.19.48</deviceAddress>  
    <[COLOR=#a52a2a][B]deviceLANAddress[/B][/COLOR]>192.168.1.71</deviceLANAddress> 
    <[COLOR=#a52a2a][B]devicePort[/B][/COLOR]>5002</devicePort> 
    <[COLOR=#008000][B]numberOfUpdates[/B][/COLOR]>15179</numberOfUpdates> 
    <[COLOR=#a52a2a][B]lastUpdated[/B][/COLOR]>Fri, 28 Oct 2011 10:03:54</lastUpdated>  
    <lastUpdateReceived>Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:48:49</lastUpdateReceived> 
    <registrationDate>Mon, 17 Mar 2008 00:00:00</registrationDate> 
    <isPingEnabled>true</isPingEnabled> 
    <pingPeriod>1800</pingPeriod> 
    <CanStreamOnLan>1</CanStreamOnLan> 
    <CanStreamOnWan>1</CanStreamOnWan> 
    <IsSubscription>0</IsSubscription> 
  [URL="http://www.satelliteguys.us/"]+[/URL] <StreamingDisabledReasonCode>
  - <=!=[=C=D=A=T=A=[   ]=]=>   
   </StreamingDisabledReasonCode>
    <[COLOR=#a52a2a][B]MacAddress[/B][/COLOR]>0013B60439F7</MacAddress> 
    <productSignature>000001</productSignature> 
    <firmwareVersion>1.4.20</firmwareVersion> 
    <isConfigured>0</isConfigured>
and a little more ... things to notice, Device Address .. that's the External IP address of the user's router/internet gateway, Device Lan Address .. the internal ip address, device port ... the port registered for that Sling Device, and in that data capture's case, the user renamed their device "DVR"

Etc.. if you're not seeing the same data from the same link, you've got issues that would need to be trouble shot.

The simple point is that these devices do not just "ping" they "phone home" during that conversation, more than just IP data is exchanged ... etc.. and additionally to know that this information is up there unprotected ... except by that old "security by obscurity" concept.
I don't have a problem it does. I have an anonymizer running for external sources. I can find the IP that my ISP uses just fine but your tool can't. It is being given false info on purpose.

I don't have a problem it does. I have an anonymizer running for external sources. I can find the IP that my ISP uses just fine but your tool can't. It is being given false info on purpose.
First.. lets be clear.. that is *NOT* my tool.

That is *IN FACT* DISH's Tool (via sling)

If you are slinging in any shape or form, that is your IP address, if you use proxies, then that would be the proxies' ip address and if you are proxing and *ever* come whining about not getting access to your DVR .. I'll spit in your general direction! :p

The information that was quoted, and the exact URL I gave used someone else's Finder ID that I found on line. So the *exact* data that is there is for that finder id, not yours or mine.. you have to put *your own* finder ID in replacement at the end of the URL (the last slash /) ... ie: http://sparcs.sling.com/rest/v1/slingbox/ after "slingbox/" you put your finder ID on there and it will tell you what *Dish/Sling* knows about you.

The point of which is that the PING isn't just an ICMP Echo ... its really a Phone Home to papa ... where you tell daddy where you are, what you have inside you, etc.. ... my secondary point, is that this data *is* available without proper security methods... so if you posted your FinderID ... someone need only crack the "guest" password and they have control (play, no deletion ability)

As to others saying they only have the IP ... tracing the IP will yield a lot of information, as most ISP's do label their hops so they know where they are seeing issues..so it can get fairly accurate to a city, region, smaller area if uber notated.

Education time ...

?????.......????

And how do you claim they obtain the EXTERNAL IP?

And, my EXTERNAL IP changes periodically when my ISP "renews" the "lease".

The EXTERNAL IP in my router varies drastically and it is literally "located" all over the Eastern United states.

So, just how is Dish going to "verify" my location with my EXTERNAL IP?

You seem to be missing the point that they are looking to make sure all IRDs are connected via the same EXTERNAL IP. When the nazi's call, they will have you read them the location ID on each IRD.

No one ever said they are stocking customers and pinpointing their exact location. Without a doubt, they use the geographical information of your IP address to provide you with targeted advertisements. They probably sell this information to 3rd parties as well. Same as almost everyone else.

If you have any type of social networking account, having you DN IRD connected to broadband should be the least of your concerns.

the ip the receiver shows you from your local LAN is not the ip it reports home. they log your EXTERNAL IP to make sure all IRDs are connected through the same one.
Education time ... click the link see what they know...

http://sparcs.sling.com/rest/v1/slingbox/7caa14ac80587f499a65102dfea36bca
?????.......????
As the link would show you .. the information that **is** reported back to Dish/Sling for connections, does in fact include more than just the external IP address.

And actually the Dish Receiver isn't sending the External IP address... the Dish Receiver sends a bunch of Data, its the server on Dish's Side that looks up the incoming connection and logs the IP Address in association with the FinderID. This IP is assumed to be the external IP address of a user's internet connection ...

The ip is associated so that if you wanted to connect to your DVR (set timers, etc) or for a sling adapter (or 922) etc.. Dish would attempt to connect to that logged IP ... presuming it lead back to your receiver.

Last edited:
It would not be a hard system to defeat if you know what you are doing. You could set up your own VPN and then all your receivers could use the internet connection of your choosing (i.e. the remote DVR is hooked up to a router that routes everything to your local network that then gets routed to the internet).

Same goes with a phone connection with VOIP you can have the phone connection appear to be anywhere. With VOIP you could set up an US account from Canada/Mexico/etc and have an US number for your receivers to call home from and for Dish to verify you are in the USA.

It will not stop the knowledgeable and ambitious person from serving 2+ locations on a single account, or from "moving". But, for the 99%+ rest of the customers the system works well. Dish audit team will have to find those trying to cheat the system.

Last edited:
First.. lets be clear.. that is *NOT* my tool.

That is *IN FACT* DISH's Tool (via sling)

If you are slinging in any shape or form, that is your IP address, if you use proxies, then that would be the proxies' ip address and if you are proxing and *ever* come whining about not getting access to your DVR .. I'll spit in your general direction! :p

The information that was quoted, and the exact URL I gave used someone else's Finder ID that I found on line. So the *exact* data that is there is for that finder id, not yours or mine.. you have to put *your own* finder ID in replacement at the end of the URL (the last slash /) ... ie: http://sparcs.sling.com/rest/v1/slingbox/ after "slingbox/" you put your finder ID on there and it will tell you what *Dish/Sling* knows about you.

The point of which is that the PING isn't just an ICMP Echo ... its really a Phone Home to papa ... where you tell daddy where you are, what you have inside you, etc.. ... my secondary point, is that this data *is* available without proper security methods... so if you posted your FinderID ... someone need only crack the "guest" password and they have control (play, no deletion ability)

As to others saying they only have the IP ... tracing the IP will yield a lot of information, as most ISP's do label their hops so they know where they are seeing issues..so it can get fairly accurate to a city, region, smaller area if uber notated.
A proxy is so last century. If you ask nicely I'll send you a PM to what is now in privacy.

A proxy is so last century. If you ask nicely I'll send you a PM to what is now in privacy.
its not that its a matter of privacy ... but that the outbound communication from a dish receiver is not just a ping ... that it is in fact more data about the Dish Receiver than most people know, and that it does include (in at least sling cases) the IP address of the receiver, yes in private IP space/internal ip addressing. It can include much more information, and all it takes is dish wishing to get an inventory of what the box sees.

Remember these things have homeplug .. so you never know when dish might start polling homeplug information. "did receiver 1 get or acknowledge a connection to receiver 2 over home plug?"

Remember these things have homeplug .. so you never know when dish might start polling homeplug information. "did receiver 1 get or acknowledge a connection to receiver 2 over home plug?"
Well, that would seriously suck, since my two 612's cannot "see" my 722, and vice versa, over homeplug. No filters involved, other than being on a different tap (I think) of the Virginia Dominion Power transformer.

Use satellite Internet and then you can feel comfortable as all the IP's are in Virginia.

Well, that would seriously suck, since my two 612's cannot "see" my 722, and vice versa, over homeplug. No filters involved, other than being on a different tap (I think) of the Virginia Dominion Power transformer.
LOL .. of course the standard HomePlug limitations apply.. :) if they can't see each other.. then they cant see each other.. :)

but if they *can* see each other.. that's supposed to be one of the ways they will share.. like.. homeplug for telephone ... can't recall which model it was .. but that's what they initially used it for, rather than phone line to every receiver ... and one would forward info for the other.. so if dish was really on top of the ball.. they'd be doing something along those lines.. personally though I doubt with all the other fractures and faults in dish's "other" parts ... I doubt they'd be able to pull it off reliably.. :)