Does everyone hear agree that the SD Picture Quality flat out sucks for a RPTV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

CESARINSKI

Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
I am looking for further confirmation from different compatriots since I deem the SD quality unacceptable.

DISH claims that satellite should be as good or better than regular cable. How come I get a better reception on my 42" RPTV Toshiba with cable than with satellite.

It seriously doesn't make any sense. If I wanted a Curtis Mathes TV...I would of bought one...but with a $1200 HTDV...I expect better. !protest

I can't agree.
I have a Toshiba 50h81. For me the PQ from DISH is way better than what I had from Adelphia. NOT all channels are perfect compared to HD programming but Almost all DISH channels look very good.
Some like ESPN or any of the Public service channels are mariginal at best. Others such as Nickelodeon,The FOOD channel, SPIKE etc are very good. Even my locals from DISH are better than cable.
Now I have done some tweaking of my tv with an AVIA disk, an overlay for correcting geometry and service mode adjustments of the convergence, gray scale and color. Those alone made a big difference in PQ. I am to cheap to hire an ISF tech or crazy enough to get into the service modes.
I know often PQ is subjective but I am still amazed somedays at the black levels and the color saturation the TV displays.
Another thing to consider is that HD tv's can be poor at displaying standard analog(480i) pictures. They will often appear soft.
In general I can not say my DISH picture is substandard or even less than desirable compared to what the cable provider offered.
BTW I am a slow typer takes me at least 10 minutes to get my thoughts together.

A couple of my networks are bad and the HD is certainly superior..but I can't agree either...my 57 inch sony is fine.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Have you set ISF calibrated, the SD picture will look MUCH better. :)

I was amazed in the PQ after I had mine done!

I have not calibrated...and to be honest...don't know how. Does it require extensive knowledge?

"Now I have done some tweaking of my tv with an AVIA disk, an overlay for correcting geometry and service mode adjustments of the convergence, gray scale and color. Those alone made a big difference in PQ."

I know there has to be an answer to the poor SD quality. I am not familiar with an AVIA disk and what are the correct settings for the coloration. I keep the picture on STANDARD mode.

CESARINSKI said:
"Now I have done some tweaking of my tv with an AVIA disk, an overlay for correcting geometry and service mode adjustments of the convergence, gray scale and color. Those alone made a big difference in PQ."

I know there has to be an answer to the poor SD quality. I am not familiar with an AVIA disk and what are the correct settings for the coloration. I keep the picture on STANDARD mode.
Go here and read the FAQ"S
www.hdtvoice.com
This sight caters to the new HD owner...You will learn a lot about howyourTV can be set up for the best enjoyment.

My 61 RPTV has a very, very good picture on SD from E* via the S-video input. My friends ask how come my TV looks so good compared to theirs. They have Cable and OTA reception. Another has D" and one has E*.

Reason, my set has had service level geometry adjustments plus AVIA adjusts. And I do this every 6 months at least.

Now it does not looks so good to me when I switch back to SD from HD, but my set works great with Dishnetwork SD.

I have to disagree. To my eyes, with the 811 doing all the processing (deinterlacing and scaling), SD from my 811 using component outputs to my Pioneer RPTV is pretty good.
I feel the SD picture on the 811 is on par with a 510 that's connected to a video processor via S-Video and then outputted to the Pioneer via RGBHV. The RPTV has not been ISF'd, just used AVIA.

My 65" RPTV has no problem with either content HD or SD. SD does suck compared to HDTV, but otherwise it looks just fine.

A *good* cable system's analog SD picture should be better than a DBS's SD picture due to compression artifacts in the DBS.... but good cable systems can be hard to find. If your cable feed is what it should be, I'm not at all surprised that it's better than DBS.

CESARINSKI said:
I am looking for further confirmation from different compatriots since I deem the SD quality unacceptable.

DISH claims that satellite should be as good or better than regular cable. How come I get a better reception on my 42" RPTV Toshiba with cable than with satellite.

It seriously doesn't make any sense. If I wanted a Curtis Mathes TV...I would of bought one...but with a $1200 HTDV...I expect better. !protest

I don't have a HDTV yet, but DirectTV looks FANTASTIC (most of the time) with my 50-Inch Hitachi. Not quite DVD quality, but pretty darn close. :)

~Alan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts