Does my HR34 record whatever channel it was left on? (when shut off)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Keekz804

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Earth
It is weird sometimes I'll turn on my tv/receiver after having it off for some hours....and it'll say press << to start show from the beginning. Now this isn't a recorded program this is live tv were talking about.

Why is this happening? Is there any way I can stop this? I record enough shows as it is I don't want my box running even more in the background recording random stuff.

The hard drive runs all the time even in standby and sometimes it does buffer the channel youre on for the last 90 minutes (again even if in standby). Its also downloading/updating the guide
It doesnt do that all the time (the buffering). Most of the time it starts when you turn the unit on

One other thing I've seen (on same thing) is if I watch a recorded program...after I'm done when it goes back to live TV it will do that popup too (press << to start from beginning)

The hard drive runs all the time even in standby and sometimes it does buffer the channel youre on for the last 90 minutes (again even if in standby). Its also downloading/updating the guide
It doesnt do that all the time (the buffering). Most of the time it starts when you turn the unit on

One other thing I've seen (on same thing) is if I watch a recorded program...after I'm done when it goes back to live TV it will do that popup too (press << to start from beginning)
Huh, so nothing you can do about it.

Yikes, I'm never overly concerned about my power usage but this can't be good for my PG&E bill.:rant:

Are you sure about this, I thought the Buffer was always running in the background.
I think it Always buffers the last 90 minutes unless the channel has been changed.

This way, say you know your gonna be a little late getting him for your show and have the channel tuned to the one you need ... you get home turn recvr on, back up show and watch the last 90 minutes on that channel. (of course you could also choose to record the show before hand).

This must be something new to the HR34's as I don't remember seeing it on the HR24's

Are you sure about this, I thought the Buffer was always running in the background.
I think it Always buffers the last 90 minutes unless the channel has been changed.

This way, say you know your gonna be a little late getting him for your show and have the channel tuned to the one you need ... you get home turn recvr on, back up show and watch the last 90 minutes on that channel. (of course you could also choose to record the show before hand).

This must be something new to the HR34's as I don't remember seeing it on the HR24's

This is a new feature added in the last software update.

ClemSole said:
This is a new feature added in the last software update.

Seeking clarity on this "new feature.". for the HR34.

Does the HR34 only buffer sometimes, yet the HR24 buffers all the time (except when both tuners are in use for scheduled recordings)?

Trying to understand the buffering differences between the two receivers.

Thanks!!

Does the HR34 only buffer sometimes, yet the HR24 buffers all the time (except when both tuners are in use for scheduled recordings)?

yup
When I had a R22 it would always buffer the last channel you had it set to for 90 minutes
The HR34 is hit and miss

yup
When I had a R22 it would always buffer the last channel you had it set to for 90 minutes
The HR34 is hit and miss

Is this an ISSUE, or some different way the HR34 is set up ?

If it has a Buffer, it can't pick and choose when to buffer, you could need/want to use it at ANY time ...

I look at it as one of those things you can't change, and you probably enjoy the HR34 enough to outweigh whatever electrical cost there is.

Jimbo said:
Is this an ISSUE, or some different way the HR34 is set up ?

If it has a Buffer, it can't pick and choose when to buffer, you could need/want to use it at ANY time ...

From a technical perspective I don't believe something can be hit or miss as it is very difficult to write code for that. There must be some trigger or triggers that occur or not occur to enable the buffer to work or not.

Wonder what those are....

Just BTW, when you leave the HR34 or C31 turned on, they usually 'own' tuners. So, if you have three C31s active, even if the associated TVs are off, there are only two tuners available to the HR34 for viewing and/or recording.

drorb said:
Just BTW, when you leave the HR34 or C31 turned on, they usually 'own' tuners. So, if you have three C31s active, even if the associated TVs are off, there are only two tuners available to the HR34 for viewing and/or recording.

Do recordings supercede live TV?

it should. If the clients work the same as when you need the last tuner (I have only a HR34) it gives you a popup and says "the receiver needs to change to channel 206 to record "fat guys cramming a bunch of food in their mouths" at 4:59 with the option to "yes change" or "no cancel recording"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)