Does New Channels affect pic Quality?

kirkdj

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
I was wondering if our pic quality is being degraded by Voom adding all these new channels? Did they aquire more capacity or are they compressing data to gain more capacity? We're getting more channels, but NOT any HD channels.
How come they don't put a menu selection into these boxes that will tell us if we're watching HIGH quality HD signals or not? :D

Does not affect pic quality.

The new Harmonic Modulators gave them about 30% more bandwidth and probably caused the PQ degradation.

I heard somewhere that they could add about 22 new SD channels and 6 new HD channels while on Rainbow-1. (They've added about 20 SD so far).

philhu said:
Does not affect pic quality.

The new Harmonic Modulators gave them about 30% more bandwidth and probably caused the PQ degradation.

I heard somewhere that they could add about 22 new SD channels and 6 new HD channels while on Rainbow-1. (They've added about 20 SD so far).

Of course it affects PQ. FYI, you can not manufacture bandwidth. You can increase compression though, and it shows.

I hope they are reading these posts. Some of the SD is quite bad. Was watching Legally Blonde on TBS Saturday evening, and it was horrible. I could flip from analog cable to VOOM for TBS and there were places that small text in the scene was readable on cable and unreadable on VOOM (lack of clarity and pixelization) - so I take back my earlier post on clarity being improved and pixelization being the main problem.

But alas, this thread is too much like Sean's.

Anway...

VOOM - please don't let this stand!!!! If too much of this kind of word gets out, it will ruin your "lunge" into the market.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)